BlueFire scanner

Ronbo

So I bought a BlueFire device that plugs into the diagnostic port. I also bought a Y cable so my trailer brake would still work. You download a program for your dashboard. I really like it. I was able to improve my mpg by monitoring my load and torque. It also tracks my fuel used. I could have made it from Reno to Albuquerque on one tank with some left over but wanted to fill up in hollbrook at the maverick. They have rv pumps at the truck island and it is a little cheaper. Arizona finally decide that we could fill up at rv pumps without penalty. Here is a screenshot of my dashboard.

FC35457A-D750-4001-80D0-6BB68FB6EBB4.jpeg

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have no negative input. I did have to figure out how to manipulate the gauges. Once you do it is easy. They have a forum and will answer questions pretty quick. The map is more of a placeholder right now. It doesn’t track your position. They have several different devices depending on your operating system and how many pins your connector has. Available on amazon.

Ron C.

I'll be interested to get feedback on its use in a Volvo. How does it compare to the Silverleaf offering? Anyone have an opinion?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

19 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I'll be interested to get feedback on its use in a Volvo. How does it compare to the Silverleaf offering? Anyone have an opinion?

Mine should be here today I'm going to try it out on my Volvo today when it gets here. Then on Monday take it to work and try it on both work trucks 2015 Pete and 2018 Kenworth. I will let you know.

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

Ronbo,

My Volvo has a basic gauge package.  I don’t have turbo pressure and some of the other parameters displayed.  Will the diagnostic port still display them on the Bluefire?  Do all trucks come with sensors to monitor oil temp, turbo pressure, etc. but not necessarily connected to a display gauge on the dash?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Once you get it hooked up, go to repair. It will show you everything it can monitor. There are lots that the computer monitors that we don’t have gauges for. I doubt if anyone has a load or torque gauge. To get a dashboard, it is probably best to download one and then modify it to fit your needs. I don’t need to monitor every little detail. I still have work to do. I took screen shots of the repair page so I can make changes that will work.

Ron C.

10 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Ronbo,

My Volvo has a basic gauge package.  I don’t have turbo pressure and some of the other parameters displayed.  Will the diagnostic port still display them on the Bluefire?  Do all trucks come with sensors to monitor oil temp, turbo pressure, etc. but not necessarily connected to a display gauge on the dash?

My KW has all of that and more on the dash. I think you got the wrong truck Carl... 😎😁😁😁😁

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

My KW has all of that and more on the dash. I think you got the wrong truck Carl... 😎😁😁😁😁

Geez, already back and sassing.😆

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here is another unit that displays similar outputs found on Letstruck website.  Kevin Rutherford has a truck talk show on XM that is really good on Friday's.  $197; I want a method to view my boost and few other gauges.  If you cannot measure it you can not improve it.

https://letstruck.com/collections/scangaugekr

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Yes. iOS, Android and windows 10. You need to buy the proper device. One is comparable with all three but others are not. You also need to have the correct plug. If you nerd a Y cord, it needs to match the color of your plug. A green cord wont plug into a grey connector. I found out the hard way. 

Ron C.

I plugged into the Volvo there is a lot of info available that I don't have on the factory dash cluster. You can clear codes. I plugged in to my work 2015 Pete that had a ABS code showed left wheel sensor and which axle it was. I like that you can set up the gages sitting in your easy chair. I would recommend using a tablet so it's easy to see. 

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

On 2/8/2020 at 7:18 AM, dan412 said:

I plugged into the Volvo there is a lot of info available that I don't have on the factory dash cluster. You can clear codes. I plugged in to my work 2015 Pete that had a ABS code showed left wheel sensor and which axle it was. I like that you can set up the gages sitting in your easy chair. I would recommend using a tablet so it's easy to see. 

Which model do you have? Got an Amazon link?  Thanks for the report.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Review the device. There are several models. Since my truck has a 6 and a 9 plug port I purchased the 9 plug model in green that uses IOS, Android and Windows 10. I needed a Y cable and since my port is black I had to use a black Y. The green will work on a black port but the black won’t work on a green port. There is 1 pin on the green that is larger. This makes me compatible with all 9 pin ports. I can even use another cable to mate it to the 6 pin. It is very adaptable. Just make sure you have the correct combination. It works great on the Y with another device such as a Tucson brake controller.

Ron C.

What about the 16-pin ports??

www.jackdanmayer.com

Thanks Ronbo.  Mine came in yesterday.  I also ordered the Y connector.  Unplugged my Tucson controller, plugged the Y connector back in, then the BlueFire.  Turned the key on an low and behold, all the gauges I wanted were displayed.

I put in a few aftermarket gauges on my 1 ton and missed having them on the HDT, especially the boost and EGTs.  Now I've got those and more!  Should make troubleshooting and diagnostics much easier.  Pretty useful and easy mod.

Still have to figure out  how to stop the screen on the Samsung tablet I'm using as a display from going blank.  Longest It appears I can set the screensaver from popping up is 30mins.  Anyone know how to keep the display on indefinitely???

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

5 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Which model do you have? Got an Amazon link?  Thanks for the report.

There are many threads about the bluefire here. Amazon bluefire. Most owners use a tablet.

Some are negative, most are positive. One thread dives into the technical side.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

22 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

What about the 16-pin ports??

Jack,

I think this is what we would need

The first link is bluefire and the second is the actual cable for sale. I would also need a splitter for the tucson brake controller. Still haven't found that.

https://bluefire-llc.com/store/en/volvo-obd-ii-to-deutsch-9-pin-cable

http://obd2allinone.com/products/volvoj1939.asp

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

1 hour ago, hatrack said:

Jack,

I think this is what we would need

The first link is bluefire and the second is the actual cable for sale. I would also need a splitter for the tucson brake controller. Still haven't found that.

https://bluefire-llc.com/store/en/volvo-obd-ii-to-deutsch-9-pin-cable

http://obd2allinone.com/products/volvoj1939.asp

Ken....

Call Tucson and ask them, they've always been helpful to me.