How to track the coronavirus: Dashboard delivers real-time view of the deadly virus

Short version, go here to track the spread of Coronavirus in real time: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Excerpt:

" The live dashboard pulls data from sources like the World Health Organization to show all confirmed and suspected cases of coronavirus, along with recoveries and deaths.

The Center for Systems Science and Engineering has launched an online dashboard that is tracking the spread of the deadly coronavirus as it makes its way across China and beyond. 

The live dashboard pulls data from the World Health Organization (WHO) -- as well as the centers for disease control in the US, China and Europe -- to show all confirmed and suspected cases of coronavirus, along with recovered patients and deaths. The data is visualized through a real-time graphic information system (GIS) powered by Esri. 

Coronavirus is believed to have originated in Wuhan City, China, and so far has killed 81 people and sickened more than 2,800 in mainland China alone. Despite efforts by the Chinese government to quarantine the virus, cases have also been confirmed across Asia, Australia, Europe and North America. 

As of Monday, there have been five confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States. In addition to those five patients, US health officials are currently monitoring 110 people across 26 states for the virus. Those infected with coronavirus are exhibiting pneumonia-like symptoms, including fever, cough, and shortness of breath.

Additional resources for tracking the virus include this page from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and another from the WHO. These websites list up to date news on the spread of the virus as well as situation reports and maps of infected areas.

Coronavirus was first reported to the WHO on Dec. 31, with Chinese investigators linking the disease to the coronavirus family of viruses, which also includes the deadly SARS and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). 

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said on a conference call Monday that the public risk in the US right now is still considered low.

"We understand that many people in the United States are worried about this virus and how it will affect Americans," Messonnier said. "Every day we learn more, every day we assess to see if our guidance or our response can be improved."

Nonetheless, financial markets have started reacting to the fears of a global pandemic. On Monday the DOW Industrial was down as much as 549 points after the opening bell. The S&P 500 also fell 1.3% and the Nasdaq dropped 1.7%.

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-track-the-coronavirus-dashboard-delivers-real-time-view-of-the-deadly-virus/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 1 month later...

heck with tracking this virus from communist china. 

best bet for now is avoid the western USA.

and or anyone that has traveled abroad in the past two months.

turn off your flame throwers. just this needs to be stopped quickly. and that will take far more than the gov should be aloud to even say. let alone do.  as the best way to stop it. is to contain it.  and this should be done at the personnel level.

this is beyond what your Dr says you need to do, so you do not catch, or spread it.

yes there are ways the government of the USA can enforce containment proto-calls.  nobody want’s that.

The ordinary flu is more dangerous than COVID-19. Yet, we don't panic every time we hear of someone getting the flu. A lot of people in the know are saying the panic is worse than the disease. Most flu epidemics run their course in a month or two. China is already seeing a reduction in new cases. So, take a deep breath and go about your lives, please.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

The ordinary flu is more dangerous than COVID-19.

No it's not. Seasonal flu has a death rate of less than 1% while the COVID-19 death rate has been estimated at 3.4% (data from World Health Organization). Also, the current death rate for those aged 70 - 79 is 8% but that percentage jumps to almost 15% for those 80+ (from Worldometer).

Finally, you can get preventative flu shots and treatment medication for seasonal flu, but there's currently nothing for COVID-19.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

6 hours ago, Zulu said:

Also, the current death rate for those aged 70 - 79 is 8% but that percentage jumps to almost 15% for those 80+ (from Worldometer).

As two of those in the higher risk age group, we are doing the preventive measures  that have been suggested, such as more frequent hand washing and avoiding large crowds in confined spaces, but we are not alarmist nor over reacting. Much of what has been suggested is actually quite simple to do and not invasive. We always wear a seatbelt when driving or riding in a car and I see these actions as little different. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

The ordinary flu is more dangerous than COVID-19. Yet, we don't panic every time we hear of someone getting the flu. A lot of people in the know are saying the panic is worse than the disease. Most flu epidemics run their course in a month or two. China is already seeing a reduction in new cases. So, take a deep breath and go about your lives, please.

Linda

Please Linda, don't use the flu as an example of what we can expect.  IF there was no flu vaccines, with Medicare giving a push to all Seniors to have theirs each year, the death rate would be much higher.  And we have treatments available for those who do get the flu.    As it isn, we have way to many people, including those with children, who refuse the vaccine and end up sick and dying.  That is not a shining example for anyone.   This is serious, but we don't have to hoard, etc.  If we can just get everyone to wash their hands, take precautions, stay home from work or school if they feel sick, the country will get through it.   And in about 18 months,  everyone needs to line up for the vaccinations like we did for Polio!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm ashamed of my species today.

So, last night I go to buy a few groceries (kind of a weekly thing).  The place was packed, people hauling carts full out the door.  I just needed a half dozen items, including toilet paper.  What?  No toilet paper, the shelves are bare.  After talking to a few others, I found out all the stores are out of TP.  It's Corona time you know.  In a town of 120,000, not one roll of TP for sale.  Groceries are going fast, but I did find a few bags of onions left, and some dried beans.

Okay, no big deal, I'll order some TP from Amazon and get it in a couple of days.  Not.  Amazon has no toilet paper.  They normally have every brand and every size.  Nada, zilch.  Oh wait, I did find some paper with photos of Bill and Hillary on it for $12.99 a roll.

Well, I've watched the news since yesterday.  People are fighting over toilet paper.  Really?  I've got a list of about five things on this earth which I need to survive.  Toilet paper ain't on that list.  I'd wipe my butt with grass clippings before I'd be so selfish as to go and buy a year's supply of TP off the shelves and deprive my neighbors of that comfort.

Has the whole world gone stupid?   When did we lose our coping skills?  I've got a few answers for both of those questions, and they're not politically correct so I better just keep them to myself.

Okay folks, you may have to self quarantine for a couple of weeks.  You don't need a year's supply of TP, or food, or dog food, or Kleenex.  If the supply chain dries up, wiping your butt will be the least of your problems.

Rant over, carry on.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Here in Mesa the stores are limiting the amount that people can purchase.  I went EARLY Wednesday morning, while some brands of TP were out, there were plenty to choose from.    It is fear of the unknown.  And people don't understand some of the things that they should be looking for - for instance, while some of the things like wet ones are out, there was plenty of  alcohol swipes that Dave uses everyday for his insulin injection.  And those are good as wipes  - we have an extra box in the car.   Also you can find rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) in stores, which is what is in the hand sanitizers.  Get some woven makeup squares, saturate with the rubbing alcohol and put in a zip lock bag and you've got wipes to take with you.   And so on.     I have been thinking about trying the grocery delivery service, might just do that.  

Our park just announced that starting next week the organized activities such as dances, etc.  All pools, sports courts, etc. will be open, but it is please use as a small group and at your own risk.  Of course it is the end of the 'season' and with Spring Training already cancelled, I noticed that some people are already leaving.

We've been hunkered down because Dave is having surgery Monday.   And yesterday, my eyes started itching, I start worrying and then took the garbage out to the curb last night and the citrus blossom fragrance was in full force - every March the same thing happens.  A little antihistamine,  and the itching went away.     So it is just being careful, washing hands, avoid outings until we get a lot more people tested and can see where 'hot spots' are located.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

15 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Not.  Amazon has no toilet paper.  They normally have every brand and every size.  Nada, zilch. 

I just looked and was surprised, but I did find some "no name" TP products available. I also found some from Angel Soft Professional series in a 60 roll case. They also have ShaiTaiYang Toilet Paper Ultra Strong, in a 10 roll case.

13 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Here in Mesa the stores are limiting the amount that people can purchase.

Many stores in the Dallas area are doing that too while others are completely out. The city & county have shut down all events that would gather large crowds. 

On 3/5/2020 at 6:16 AM, packnrat said:

best bet for now is avoid the western USA.

Really?  With confirmed cases of COVID-19 in all states now (except Tennessee as I recall, but I'm sure it's there, too)?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I'm a bit confused by that gisanddata map because it shows just one cluster of virus cases at Fort Hood and no where else in Texas.  However, if I look at the local news or go to the Texas DHS site, it says there are scattered cases all over Texas, including in and around Houston.  I wonder why the fancy data map doesn't include those cases?

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

When I first came across this map a week or so ago, it actually showed in which cities the individual cases were in, but I see since them they just show cases by state.  It doesnt seem to matter where they put the dot within the state.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I went to Walmart yesterday and it was very taxing.  The only thing left in the paper isle was 2 boxes of Kleenex and I took one.  Many isles were empty and the shoppers were very frenzied. I picked up a couple of things and left without many things I had on the list. Sure hope this doesn't last to long but there are few reasons to believe it will be better soon.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, pjstough said:

When I first came across this map a week or so ago, it actually showed in which cities the individual cases were in, but I see since them they just show cases by state.  It doesnt seem to matter where they put the dot within the state.

Thanks.  Yes, I was looking at the old map with it's location specific markings too.  Reading your post I realized that there is just one mark per state - more or less in the middle.  The thing that confused me was that I was zooming in to Texas and thought the big dot near Fort Hood was only for the soldiers returning from South Korea.  

Thanks for helping me understand what is happening.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

This toilet paper frenzy really make me laugh. Most of us are old enough to remember life before disposable diapers were invented. Today we even have bidet's to help with the chore.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,  I met a woman who had hoarded six months worth of TP.  I asked her why.  She said that if she had to self quarantine, she didn't want to run out.  I told her that it would only last a couple of weeks and if she was running out she could call a neighbor, friend, or family to go get her some more.  She said that there might not be any at that time.  I told her that if it weren't for people like her hoarding it, that wouldn't be an issue.  She just gave me that deer in the headlight stare.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

She said that if she had to self quarantine, she didn't want to run out. 

That must be the problem. I do recall having seen a person leaving Walmart with a shopping cart full of TP early last week, so that must have been the start of the run on things. In this area it has also extended to cleaning supplies and some food items.

Edited by Kirk W

If worse comes to worse: Washable cloth diapers - available on Amazon.

And if you see the Covid-19 map outside of the link posted by _RV - then be careful -  it is embedded and may be used maliciously.
See Krebs on Security warning post: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/03/live-coronavirus-map-used-to-spread-malware/

Recently, however, cybercrooks have started disseminating real-time, accurate information about global infection rates tied to the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to infect computers with malicious software.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I went to pick up some groceries yesterday. Yep, lots of bare shelves. Got most of what we wanted. Had to get most all different from what we normally get though. Oatmeal not to good this morning. Lol. Bannan cream, yuck. All they had. Thankfully we had enough tp

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Most shelves at my market were 70% empty.  Plenty of cereal though.  I figured out why.  No milk.  No bread either.  If you're particular, you'll be disappointed.  If you're just hungry, you'll do fine.  I had to buy a different brand of grits, I'll get over it.

This is a perfect example of people's irrational behavior creating a problem when there wasn't one.

My theory is we should all just go around kissing each other until we all get it.  80% won't be slowed down, 15% will feel poorly for a while, 5% will be hospitalized, and some of us will die.  Maybe this will decrease the financial load on Medicare and Social Security, after all the old folks die.  At least in a couple of weeks the world can go back to behaving somewhat normal and end all this idiocy.  Herd immunity.

20 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Maybe this will decrease the financial load on Medicare and Social Security, after all the old folks die.  

Maybe you meant this tongue-in-cheek, but I really resent this kind of remark because you're talking about ME, my husband, and many, many other Escapees who are in the vulnerable categories.   I'm 74, my husband is 80 and had a quadruple bypass in 1995.  I'm not ready for either of us to die!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

5 hours ago, LindaH said:

Maybe you meant this tongue-in-cheek, but I really resent this kind of remark because you're talking about ME, my husband, and many, many other Escapees who are in the vulnerable categories.   I'm 74, my husband is 80 and had a quadruple bypass in 1995.  I'm not ready for either of us to die!

Of course it was sarcasm.  I'm in your age group and I'm a heart patient.  I'll be one of the first to go.  I just think it's absurd the way people are in panic and treating their fellow citizens.