Hi everyone!

We just joined this group and are excited to be here. We are planning on going full time for a year starting in June 2020. We are stopping at Mt. Rushmore first, then Colorado, and over to Yellowstone area towards the end of July. I'm having a hard time picking a good site for a pull through (this is our first truck and first RV), with full hook ups (need electricity for remote work and kids), pet friendly for our dog (68 lb greyhound). Does anyone have RV parks/campgrounds near Yellowstone?

Thank you!

Sarah

Edited by tepebs
spelling

Welcome! What type RV site do you want, you said pull-through but is that FHU or dry camping?  The only FHU camground in Yellowstone is closed for renovations this year, the rest are dry camping.

West Yellowstone has several FHU RV parks, dry camping is available at several NFS campgrounds near West Yellowstone. South of Yellowstone there are even more dry camping NFS sites, although further away.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We were there a few years ago and had to stay in West Yellowstone.  While outside the park it is still "centrally located" to go either on the north loop road or the south loop road, or straight across and then north or south.  We looked at both Grizzly RV and the West Yellowstone KOA.  We decided to go with the KOA because it was the only one who could guarantee a reservation that close to our arrival date.  Sites were okay and staff was courteous and very helpful.  We are going back after Fishing Bridge is reopened and hope to stay two weeks.  If you want to look at another location that we've stayed at look at the north entrance near Gardner, MT look at Yellowstone RV Park.  Make your reservations as soon as you can lock in your dates.

Edited by Mr. Camper

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I would agree with the previous suggestions for an RV park near Yellowstone NP but also have a couple of comments on your route. You don't say where in Colorado you are going, but if it were me, I would change the route to visit Co. and then Mt. Rushmore, then go toward Yellowstone NP with a stop at Devil's Tower NM in route and also one in Cody, WY. Doing it in that order could save you some 400 miles if coming from the east or south, unless you are coming from the far northern part of the country. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Howdy!

We stayed at Buffalo Crossing RV Resort in West Yellowstone our last visit to Yellowstone NP. Nice clean park with pull through FHU sites. Walking distance to places to see and eat out a in the town of West Yellowstone. You will need to make reservations as far in advance as you can (now) to be able to stay anywhere to visit any NP in July.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

22 minutes ago, tepebs said:

Kirk, We are stopping at Mt. Rushmore first, then going to Colorado. We want to see Pikes Peak and Garden of The Gods, but haven't decided exactly where we are staying. Then we are stopping in Utah and heading up Yellowstone area. :)

OK, that is helpful. Sounds like a circle route, more or less and that makes more sense. Traveling from Mt. Rushmore, if you have the time I strongly suggest a visit to Custer State Park while there. To stay in that park you will also need to make reservation soon, but not far south of Custer park is Angostura SP, which is usually less difficult to get a place to stay. SP Heading toward CO it would also not be far off your route to visit Devil's Tower NM, which also has camping. From there south I'd travel via Cheyenne, WY and if time allows you will pass close to Rocky Mountain NP. Southeast of Denver is Cherry Creek SP with camping. While we have stayed in RV parks in the Colorado Springs area, it has been too long for our advice there to be of much value. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Welcome! What type RV site do you want, you said pull-through but is that FHU or dry camping?  The only FHU camground in Yellowstone is closed for renovations this year, the rest are dry camping.

West Yellowstone has several FHU RV parks, dry camping is available at several NFS campgrounds near West Yellowstone. South of Yellowstone there are even more dry camping NFS sites, although further away.

At least electric hook ups: we need it for remote work and the kids. We are ok with staying outside the park, but would like to be 30 minutes or closer, if possible.

Yellowstone in July Hot, Crowded, heavy traffic you should have reservations at a CG made well in advance.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

14 hours ago, tepebs said:

At least electric hook ups: we need it for remote work and the kids. We are ok with staying outside the park, but would like to be 30 minutes or closer, if possible.

Then IMO, West Yellowstone is a good place to consider. It is about 1/2 mile from the Yellowstone West gate. Perhaps the best known is Grizzly RV park, which has stuff for children; however it is just one of many RV parks in West Yellowstone city.

I suggest you visit campgroundreviews.com. It will help to read what others think about a particular place, when making your decisions.

As richfaa recommended, I would have reservations locked-in NLT March for a July stay, especially if you require a pull-through.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We stayed in Yellowstone last August at the Yellowstone Holiday Campground and Marina and then at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park. Grizzly was the better of the two because it was within walking distance of Yellowstone's West Entrance, near grocery stores and restaurants, and had better facilities.

Yellowstone is a huge park (about 55 x 60 miles), so I suggest signing up for one of the park tour services to see the park. Otherwise, you're fighting traffic.

We made campgrounds reservations at the beginning of March.

Yellowstone Map

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

Grizzly was the better of the two because it was within walking distance of Yellowstone's West Entrance,

You walked into the park?  😄

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thank you everyone!

This is our first RV (and RV trip), so all the advice is appreciated. We wanted to book earlier, but had to wait for my sister-in-law to pick her wedding date. :) Now I can finally make reservations! Most close campgrounds were already booked, but I got the last site at Yellowstone RV in Gardiner. It seems close to the North entrance, and has a beautiful location. I have now have Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone booked. Now just to figure out the Colorado and Utah stops (before Yellowstone), then the West Coast. 😂

The North entrance is/was more rustic, and much slower-paced than East, West, or South. The entrance road is quite curvy to the loop road due to the rise in elevation.

Your plans seem like a circuitous route around Yellowstone, It sounds very scenic and enjoyable.

While at Mt. Rushmore, spend a day driving(not RV friendly route) through the park to the dinosaur dig exhibit at Hot Springs SD. I was surprised to see working cowboys walking into the boot/leather shop in town. One man pulled off his well-worn boots that looked like the spurs hadn't been removed since the boots were new.

Edited by Ray,IN