Steer Tire blowout at 65 MPH.

Pete Kildow

I took 6 rims off a junked truck with the northern tool version of those, the trick is to only use the gear set to break it loose, then spin it off with a battery impact or the extension and handle without the reduction that comes in the kit.

Took about an hour.  

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I have the blue one. I purchased a socket that fit the square drive and used a ratchet. I only loosened them enough to use my cordless impact wrench. I was able to use a torque wrench on the input shaft with the socket and torque them down. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I think correct torque for 10 bolt hub piloted wheels is 450lbs-ft, set in two stages, in a criss cross pattern. 

You should get Scrap to describe a certain tool that is electric and puts on 5 nuts to 450lbs simultaneously, then turns a bit and does the other 5.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Put new steer tires on yesterday. Little over an hour, both were mounted. Son helped out or it would have been 3+ hours. That wrench is worth keeping in the truck.

Also bought a set of tire tools. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-changer-Tire-Mount-Demount-Tool-tubeless-truck-EXTRA-BEAD-KEEPER-New/273461151449?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649  

Makes taking a tire off the wheel easy for sure. But there heavy. The 3 pieces weight around 55 lbs. Does take a little use to get right.

Had to use the Kubota loader to bust the bead on the tire. And I did pick up a gallon of the bead lube. Man its slick. Told my Son I had gotten a gallon of Smerff Sweat being its blue. HAHA

Ideal is keeping this stuff in the truck in case we need it. But thinking a set of tire irons is better. And would not take much longer to remove and install the tire. Along with less weight and space taken up  also.

Went back with Toyo 295/75R22.5 M170 steer tires. Local Dealer looked at what was left of the other one. And told me it had indeed hit something. Took his word for it.

I ordered the tires online, showed in in 2 days. Saved $275.oo over getting them local. Free shipping also that does not hurt. Tires Direct will be getting one more order soon also.

event.png

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I like watching the u toob vids where experienced tire people change tubeless tires without removing the wheel from the truck. 

I used to do that all the time. Outside drives, Drop axle or steer. But did not have a hammer to pop the bead this time.

But we all used to do a lot. That is beyond what we can do these days.

event.png

On 2/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, noteven said:

Ya Pete I’d haul off and hit the wheel with the bead axe...

Told my wife to hit it. But she hit me rather then the tire. Used to have a short handled Bead hammer. 

vxTEAvWl.jpg

Used a dead blow hammer to hit it, thus popping the bead. Worked perfect, plus never messed up a wheel. Way to many people take the long handled hammer and swing it. And there goes a wheel.

Also found a pair of rear wheels and tires today. Buddy had them, He is going to get them off the truck there on. And let me know the price. Also going to let me try them out before I have to pay for them. 

Michelin 31535 X One Xdn2 455/55r22.5 Wide base tires and wheels. 2 years old and 90% thread left. Truck has 4 like this one it, but i told him I only needed 2.

Pete

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png