Steer Tire blowout at 65 MPH.

Pete Kildow

Yes I got lucky today, 65 MPH when I hear this loud BOOM. Felt something right before that in the steering. Thought oHHH NOOO, but was late to the party. Was on a Divided 4 lane just out of town. No one around me, and glad. I did get pulled into the left lane a few inches.

Then Got on the fuel to keep it going. And then allowed the truck to some to a stop on its own. Way to many people hit the stop peddle fast. That will and can kill you fast. After about 1/2 mile or so. Was on the shoulder, got out to see the 15 month old bumper in sad shape. The drivers fender and part of the hood not much better.

But feel blessed, no one was hurt. I was 71 miles from home. Wife was 56 miles from me when I called her. Limped the truck off the road the last 100 yds. Into a parking lot. They told me was no issue just let it sit there. So rode home with my wife. Got a new Steer tire and wheel from a buddy of mine.

The steer tires on the truck are 3 years old. Look new, not sure what happened. But I did walk back and clean the road trash out of the lanes. And what thread I could find looked great. So thinking a sidewall let go?

Sure makes for a wake up at 10am. Had ran to get 2 tons of heating pellets on the back of the truck. Pellets are still with the truck. Sure glad our Pellet furnace was full and have 5 bags left.

Going Monday to get 2 new steer tires. But now to make a choice of what brand.. The brand on there now were Toyo's.

event.png

Pete,

Sorry to hear about your incident.  Thank heavens you did the right thing and accelerated rather than hit the brakes.  Glad you are safe.  Please follow up a post if you find out the cause of the blowout.  I have run Toyo steers for ten years (Mine are two years old) and if there is a history of this I would appreciate knowing.  Wonder if you could have hit something in the road?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Many HDT's in Canada run Sailun steer tires. Based on my observations, I bought 6 steer/all-position 275/70R22.5 LR H, S637 truck tires.Final bill in 2017 was $1.280 incl. taxes.

I'm glad you nor anyone else were hurt. If we buy it with money, it can be replaced with money.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Fairly new tires rarely have rapid air loss. Known to us non professionals as a blowout without insertion of a sharp piece of something.  I had the left steer tire blowout as I entered one the Texas Creek bridges in the oil patch west of San Antonio. Vehicles had  dragged a lot of gravel onto to the road . Not a fun ride but stayed in the right lane, two lane bridge. I did remember to add fuel. I know the speed didn't increase but I always had control. 

Yes you drove over something. And yes you get an attaboy for not jumping on the stop pedal. Congrats on surviving a potential disaster.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

5 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

Fairly new tires rarely have rapid air loss. Known to us non professionals as a blowout without insertion of a sharp piece of something.  I had the left steer tire blowout as I entered one the Texas Creek bridges in the oil patch west of San Antonio. Vehicles had  dragged a lot of gravel onto to the road . Not a fun ride but stayed in the right lane, two lane bridge. I did remember to add fuel. I know the speed didn't increase but I always had control. 

Yes you drove over something. And yes you get an attaboy for not jumping on the stop pedal. Congrats on surviving a potential disaster.

Bill

Not sure what it takes to be a pro. Started running OTR in 1984. But this was not my first Rodeo.

And agree its not about gaining speed. But staying in control. Along with not letting that tire know its in control just yet.

event.png

Not sure what kind of truck you have but I and many friends who have Chevy 2500/3500 and Ford F-250/350 run with BF Goodrich All Terrains. Good all around tire. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

9 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Not sure what kind of truck you have but I and many friends who have Chevy 2500/3500 and Ford F-250/350 run with BF Goodrich All Terrains. Good all around tire. 

HDT 1995 Kenworth T600

HEzJ9p3l.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Only way to remove lug nuts without power tools. Plus helps to have your 6ft6" son along to do the work.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

Yes - apply power momentarily is the correct reaction to a flat steer moccasin. Well done Pete. A Toyo rep may want to look over the remains if you contact a Toyo HDT tire dealer. My new trucks were delivered with Bridgestone or Michelin steer tires. Both companies took causes of steer tire sudden air loss very seriously on the rare occasion it happens. They sometimes offered a customer a policy deal on replacement depending on circumstances.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

In 2015 we lost a driver side steer in Nashville on I-40.  It was momentarily exciting.... then expensive for Loves to do a roadside call.

Glad I was lucky, wife was close enough. So was able to get it off the road. And go back this am to get it.

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Yes - apply power momentarily is the correct reaction to a flat steer moccasin. Well done Pete. A Toyo rep may want to look over the remains if you contact a Toyo HDT tire dealer. My new trucks were delivered with Bridgestone or Michelin steer tires. Both companies took causes of steer tire sudden air loss very seriously on the rare occasion it happens. They sometimes offered a customer a policy deal on replacement depending on circumstances.

Don't think there's enough pieces to allow them to look it over. But there getting what's left Monday. But feel I had to hit something. Today Heard there was 3 other flats in that spot later in the day also.

Figured up the parts today. No tires included and not paint. Just the parts pushing $4900.00 not bad for a tire issue.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

16 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

HDT 1995 Kenworth T600

HEzJ9p3l.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Only way to remove lug nuts without power tools. Plus helps to have your 6ft6" son along to do the work.

I carry a torque Multiplier. I hope I never need it. I also have a long beaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe to tighten them down until I get to a shop that can get them properly.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Going to put it back together with a T660 hood? 😉

That composite front "leaf" spring you have though - go over every inch of it with a real bright flashlight and make sure nothing smacked it hard during the event.  They don't do well with dents and notches in them.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I have one of those, and it is indeed a great tool.  But, if the previous installer over tightened the nuts, and it's been a while since, it may not do the job.  When we did a brake job and put new tires on the Mack, it took lots of heat and a 8' pipe on the wrench.  I was not happy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I've got one of those torque multipliers and it works great.  I did a brake job on a friends truck and after we put it back together he took the truck to a tire shop and had them use their 1" impact to check the torque and they said they were all tight.  I believe I paid about $60 for it on Amazon and as was stated before, hope I don't have to use it on the road, but have it if needed. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I doubt the veracity of some of the statements made about this tool. The Amazon verbiage states "3200NM" torque. That calculates out to 2360 lb/ft. torque. Not believing it, and the reviews are not glowing.

I've got one similar to the one I posted.  Another forum member used it on his truck and it worked fine.  Just got a good cardio twisting the handle.  Fortunately I've never had to use it but is available if needed.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 1/26/2020 at 11:51 AM, Undrpsi said:

Not sure what kind of torque multiplier that is but i would like more info on it!

Got it on ebay and here the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Torque-Multiplier-Set-Wrench-Lug-Nut-Lugnut-Remover-w-8-Sockets-New/132536248292?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

event.png

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I've got one similar to the one I posted.  Another forum member used it on his truck and it worked fine.  Just got a good cardio twisting the handle.  Fortunately I've never had to use it but is available if needed.

Like you I got it. But sure did not look forward to using it. And still don't, but did use it on one. Then let our son do the rest. 😎

But its for that one time when you must have one. Thus I have a tire rack to haul a extra tire along also. Plus tire tools. Have changed more than I care to remember. And its easy, but now days. Would be an hour job. Where it used to be 5 minutes and half that was trying to find where I had put that tire tool.

As we all know, we can still find places where the cell phone does not work. And if I need to change a tire out. Want to be able to get it done. Don't look forward to it after 7 stints and a heart attack. But slow and time it can be done.

event.png

18 hours ago, Scrap said:

Going to put it back together with a T660 hood? 😉

That composite front "leaf" spring you have though - go over every inch of it with a real bright flashlight and make sure nothing smacked it hard during the event.  They don't do well with dents and notches in them.

That was the first thing I looked at. Thinking I'm going to swap out those springs. Never did like the ideal of using fiberglass springs on anything. But they do ride good for sure.

Have not even thought of the 660 hood. Did not know if it would work? But I do need one headlight bucket, turn and marker lights all 3 on the drivers side. So may well look into doing that. May be one within 8 miles of me on a truck. Was there today, but will look it over Friday when I'm back there.

event.png

4 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

That particular one did not have overall good reviews on Amazon. I can understand the cardio workout, 1/58 is quite a ratio for hand cranking.