Att mobley

25 minutes ago, Cowdog353 said:

I think mine is very sick.  Shuts down radomly, for no reason. I have had it on a 2hour timer for months and it has worked well. 

My queston is what options do I have as I don't think anyone can buy mobley unit as a replacement.

Thanks for your help

Jim

Least expensive option is probably the ZTE Velocity hotspot.  It can be found on eBay fairly reasonable.  Better option would be a Unite Explore hotspot, probably about $150 on eBay.  Best option is Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 hotspot, a little more cost.  Any one of those would be a vast improvement in performance over the Mobley.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

5 hours ago, Cowdog353 said:

I think mine is very sick.  Shuts down radomly, for no reason. I have had it on a 2hour timer for months and it has worked well. 

My queston is what options do I have as I don't think anyone can buy mobley unit as a replacement.

Thanks for your help

Jim

Jim,

Why would you not be able to buy another Mobley and just transfer the SIM? They should be able to repair the new Mobleys SIM to the newer unit. This way you are still staying in the spirit of the rules of the “Mobley” $20 a month deal. I would call car connect to confirm that it can be done and if there is any process. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

9 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Jim,

Why would you not be able to buy another Mobley and just transfer the SIM? They should be able to repair the new Mobleys SIM to the newer unit. This way you are still staying in the spirit of the rules of the “Mobley” $20 a month deal. I would call car connect to confirm that it can be done and if there is any process. 

If you buy another Mobley, then all you would have to do is take the sim out of the old one and put it in the new one.  You wouldn't have to call anyone.  There's a few of them on eBay right now, if you want to go that way.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

It appears that the 2 hrs shutdown time frame is no longer in effect. I have tried to log into the att admin website, site has changed. Unable to access area to see time frame schedules  and website does not look as it did before. 

Appears that using a timer to shutdown and restart unit is not longer a viable option.

anyone else experiencing this problem? 

Thanks 

jim

Thanks to all for the responses .  I have been able to log in using a windows based tablet,  I was using a older iPad before. 

Found the the timer was set on 30 min instead of the 2 hours that I had set before. Must have defaulted to the 30 min setting at some time.  Now using the timer set to shutdown at 1 hour and 59 min and restart 1 min later. All is well 

thanks again

jim

My Mobley has never had a great connection.  Or more accurately, has never been stable with a good connection.  As we drive around, it goes from great to awful, in the same areas where we previously used AT&T phones with very good speeds.  It's simply a low performance device with limited bands.  I think I will get the Netgear everyone seems to love, and move the SIM.  I think that requires obtaining a PUK code?

I bought a Nighthawk.  Got on chat with AT&T support almost 45 minutes ago.  Not only do I not have the PUKs yet, they broke my account and are telling me I need a new SIM.  Made the mistake of answering honestly when he asked if I was moving it to another device.  Then they wanted to change the plan.  I'm still waiting for them to figure something out.

Ten minutes of "hold" time so far...

Blaise: Thank you.

Blaise: Working on it now.

Me: Ok
Blaise: I appreciate your patience.

Blaise: Please give me a few minutes while I look into this.

Blaise: Thank you for your patience. Please give me another couple of moments to look into this further.

Got a new rep today, who instantly gave me the correct codes without further questions or issues.  I have no idea why the first was so incompetent.  I unlocked the SIM with the PUK, in the Mobley, and it let me set my own PIN.  Moved the SIM to the Netgear router, but it said the SIM was PIN locked, which is correct.  In its settings, I entered the new PIN and then told it to leave the SIM unprotected (disable SIM PIN).  This is critical.  When the device boots with a lock, it will not connect to the network, even if you enter the PIN later.  Weird, but I tested it three times.

The speed difference is INCREDIBLE.  I was getting around 6-8 Mbps on the Mobley.  Check out the Netgear...

image.png.319c537e695eabe57c20659baf6ded50.png

And then ten minutes later, it all stopped working.  Now the Mobley is not working either.  Back to AT&T support I suppose.  

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You do realize there are 120V adapters available for Mobleys right?  Amazon is your friend.  Ours has been running off of house electric for 4+ years

works great off the 120v adapter, at least the one I bought. I think I got mine off ebay way back when.  I have mine plugged into an plug in  switch that plugs into an outlet then the mobley and I can turn off power with switch without have to unplug.