A motorhome tractor that will tow anything

Ray,IN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2pPOuzmyzM

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

AWW crap. Thanks Dutch, I'll have to find it again..

No reason it couldn't be built to haul a SMART car.

EDIT: Hopefully I did it right this time when I corrected my link. JIC:

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hmmmm.  Not a legal road tractor, as it has a load bearing bed.  And I wonder if RxR crossings are a concern?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

50 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Hmmmm.  Not a legal road tractor, as it has a load bearing bed.  And I wonder if RxR crossings are a concern?

What about moving company tractors, with the extra moving box behind the sleeper? 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I know nothing of the legalities. This narrative says the couple (O&O) hauls jet engines for Southern Pride Transport. I would think a jet engine is an over-size load, wouldn't that limit the routes they may drive?

22 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

What about moving company tractors, with the extra moving box behind the sleeper? 

Rick & Darryl - if I were spec’ing a KW for this application it would leave the factory as a “tractor” meaning rear lights and mud flaps installed, trailer air and electric installed, 5th wheel installed or frame drilling done and a tractor braking system, with a “customer/body builder installed sleeper or dromedary box” option.  It would be a “complete vehicle” (ready to couple to a semi trailer with no further modifications as it leaves the factory),  without any “incomplete vehicle” documentation. The tractor is compliant as is and the customer could actually register and plate it as is without the sleeper. The big sleeper company is responsible to provide compliant lights and reflectors etc. KW would request info regarding the weight and dimensions of the “drom box”. 

A “truck” is “incomplete” - a cab and chassis meant to be further up fitted with a cargo or equipment body and may or may not have trailer air and electric. It could receive hitch or fifth wheel. It has a different braking system. It cannot be registered and plated in the form it leaves the truck factory. It becomes a complete vehicle after the body builder installs the body and/or equipment. The body builder is responsible for final compliance such as c of g, hitch location, box length (over hang), braking standards etc.

Engineering drawings and info would be sent back and forth and reviewed by KW to ensure c of g above the waterline is good, frame strength is correct, steer axle brakes are correct etc. before the spec is priced and ordered.

Taking a tractor and lopping off an axle and changing the wheelbase and adding high loads behind the cab and placing a heavy pin load from a semi trailer (even a 12 ton rv trailer) many feet behind the drive axle etc should be reviewed by the truck oem and / or a body builder engineer before work commences to ensure component loading, braking and emergency situation handling and stability remain inside safe parameters.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

8 hours ago, noteven said:

Short version: the Pete in the video has a sleeper with a large baggage compartment. 😊

Okay.  Since the bike is "baggage" rather than "cargo" it's sorta legal.  Well, it is a "bagger"........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

They're all dead nowadays though.  All tractors from 2018 on are required to have stability control.  Problem is that the big 430" wheelbase ones can't fit in the 14ft lane during the J-hook test and can't certify the stability control.  So you can't do them as a tractor anymore, which was a major hit.  Built the hell out of them in late 2017 though.  There were 400"+ wheelbase trucks all over the place.  It was a weird time.

13 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I know nothing of the legalities. This narrative says the couple (O&O) hauls jet engines for Southern Pride Transport. I would think a jet engine is an over-size load, wouldn't that limit the routes they may drive?

Jet engines are typically not all that large. Fit on a fairly short trailer.

When I registered my convertible the lady at DMV asked “truck or tractor”? “Both” was my answer. She decided it was built as a tractor so it is registered as a tractor. Nobody has complained yet.