New HDT owner with questions

Theramblinroddams

New owners of a Volvo tractor looking to turn it into an HDT for our 5th wheel. One major question I have is has anyone gone the route to have all three types of hitches on the truck? I’ve seen most here use the trailer saver or the ET 5th wheel hitch and a traditional receiver but I have farm trailers that also use gooseneck hitches. How have you all mounted them for all three? Photos would be great! Thanks 

I have a gooseneck and receiver hitches on mine I used a B&W flatbed hitch. There are pictures of both gooseneck and 5th wheel on this sight try a serch. They all seem to be rearward of the 5th wheel mounted on a plate it should be possible to use the plate the 5th wheel mounts to. My receiver is part of my bumper others have used universal hitches and others plates like you see on the back of a dump truck, or built as part of the flatbed.

Henry built at least one ET with a gooseneck ball as well.  I haven’t been able to find the thread.  If no one sends pictures trying sending a message to phoenix2013 and see if he still has pictures.

Nigel

edit:  found one of the links. Picture about 5 posts from top

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/121122-et-senior-hitch/?tab=comments#comment-816714

Edited by Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I have 2 gooseneck equipment trailers and a gooseneck dump trailer.  Each has a removable hitch that slides up a tube.  I insert a 5th wheel pin when pulling with a 5th wheel hitch and easily change back to a gooseneck when needed.  When I purchased these trailers I made sure these could be changed to 5th wheel pins with only minor or no modification.  On the HDT I had some years ago I built up a flat area behind the 5th wheel hitch and installed a gooseneck ball.  I prefer the air ride hitch so the gooseneck wasn't part of this build.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I have 2 gooseneck equipment trailers and a gooseneck dump trailer.  Each has a removable hitch that slides up a tube.  I insert a 5th wheel pin when pulling with a 5th wheel hitch and easily change back to a gooseneck when needed.  When I purchased these trailers I made sure these could be changed to 5th wheel pins with only minor or no modification.  On the HDT I had some years ago I built up a flat area behind the 5th wheel hitch and installed a gooseneck ball.  I prefer the air ride hitch so the gooseneck wasn't part of this build.

2X. We use 5th wheel pin that slides into Goose-neck shaft when using the HDT.  The horses appreciate the air ride hitch.   https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/etrailer/KPG5-R30IP.html

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

On 1/20/2020 at 12:54 PM, Nigel said:

Henry built at least one ET with a gooseneck ball as well.  I haven’t been able to find the thread.  If no one sends pictures trying sending a message to phoenix2013 and see if he still has pictures.

It is called an ET Farm model. You can order one from us. Or directly from Youngs

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com