Building a muzzleloader rifle

Wrknrvr

Well up here in Montana the weather got me sidetracked as in 0 degrees for two nights. And about 8” of snow. The road to the range was probably not the best for travel.

It finally warmed up and melted the snow.  So I hope by Wednesday I can get back to the range.. I looked at the rifle yesterday and need to attach the shadow tube permanently. Maybe just solder it on. Then fine tune the front sight. Also need to shorten one set screw on the rear adjustment collar.

So I have been doing some other thinking and reading on long distance shooting. One subject is what bullet to use????  The other is to use paper patch bullets or grease groove bullets.

This is practice?  jgc16Ppl.jpg

I have never tried a paper patch bullet before. So I am practicing as to how to do it. Also need to make my existing bullet mold better for casting good bullets. The bullet I am using in the photo has a bad nose wrinkle. But it is working for learning paper patching techniques.

Working on a small shop area for winter working area in cold weather. Mostly for gun work as I have two or three other gun projects to do this winter. If I can hide enough.

Stay Safe out there!

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I finally had a chance to align the iron sights that are fairly close to being on target. And then adjust the scope to the same target. The white building I sighted on is about 1200 yards away.

0R8fu2dl.jpg

That may take three shots to get that far, maybe.  That I would say may take a few months practice to get there.. I really have no idea how far I can shoot accurately or how far.   

The barrel was of good quality from Douglas barrels back in the mid seventies.

l6970bJl.jpg

I tried to take a picture through the scope but it would not focus out the other end.

I do believe the scope is close enough to go back to the range again. That depends on road conditions as it is white outside.

I have been working on what bullet to use. I am bidding on one at a local action that will end tomorrow night. I am also thinking of making my own mold at the neighbors machine shop. I know that is cheating.. but I could say I was delivered by steam boat as the Missouri has not frozen yet. They would have made them in St Louis back in the day.

I am still working part time so that gets into the good days for shooting.

Vern in a T-shirt  

Today the weather was about 7 degrees this am so planned to stay home and do things that I want to do.. was looking at Montana vintage arms website. Just looking at stuff and it hit me.  The rear of my scope has a 1/4” hole in it. I was impressed with that size hole. Now not so. Was reading about rear sight  holes on cartridge rifles.

Well I need to rethink that 1/4” hole. just a tad big I believe. So I found a Colt 45 cartridge, that did not have a primer i it and looked trough that hole. Yep that 1/4” hole is toooo big. 

Sooo I was thinking outside the box as one would say today. So tomorrow I am going to install a adjustable nickel in the rear of the scope,    Sorta

just thinking,     Vern in a T-shirt 

So today after doing a bunch of other stuff in 25 degree weather I got to work on my scope.  Since i discovered the rear hole on the scope is probably too big, I had to think of what one would do on 1870.   Where could I find something with a small hole..  thinking,,,,,,,,,   Buttons have small holes. Plug all but one and sure makes the scope more precise. At least it acts like it.

So this what I thought off.5KZnwXOl.jpg

More thinking.

zYxw8IFl.jpg

Now with the offset hole in a collar, one could use it for windage adjustment. 

More thinking about subject.  Also need to paint with soot and tongue oil. Tomorrow am I think I will solder disc in the collar. I do wish I could get a picture through the scope to show you the view.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

Well since the weather in our area has seen some snow my trip to the range has been postponed until yesterday.  So loaded everything in the Jeep along with the wife. 

So it has snowed more to the north of us. Our snow is all gone. But there is snow in the mountains. Since I get poked in the eye today, yesterday was my best chance to shoot. Well the farther we went on the paved road the more snow was on the side of the road.  Then we turned on the gravel road headed towards the range. Stopped and looked at the situation of the road. Decided to go 400’, decided to turn around. Slush turned to ice and with 5 miles of mostly uphill travel to go .  Ok ?

So I finally decided to join a gun club as I think I have this rifle to the point to shoot fairly accurate with the scope. But need some distance to try it.  So check one local gun club. They apparently just opened a 200 and 300 yard range. But those ranges are now closed. So I thought I would check another club out a little drive but I will do it. According to there web site they are not accepting new members.

So last night I started to check on google maps and find a open area on public land. I did soot one not very far away. I just never went on that gravel road before.

At least my eye sight has really has improved. When it first happened I was really concerned. Especially when I could not see the target through the scope even at 75’. But I could see it when not looking through the scope. Remember the shiny nickel on the back of the scope with a hole in it.

If I can drive tomorrow I am going to find the new gravel pit just west of us.  I do have a new thought on the scope for testing but need more info before showing what I am working on.

Vern in a  T shirt

Bullet design testing..IIs9ucol.jpg

With the weather causing difficulties getting to the range I have been thinking about a bullet design . So I used a short piece of barrel off the original barrel to make a bullet. Set the piece of barrel on top of a colt 45 bullet mold. If they shoot good and do not want to keyhole the target I will spend time at a machine shop to correct the problem of the colt 45 not staying aligned with the bore. I have set screws to center the colt mold, but the steel barrel apparently does not expand as much as the aluminum colt mold. So the colt 45 mold is hard to keep centered on the barrel mold..

since the colt 45 part of the mold does not always stay centered I thought I could change the design on the front of the bullet. Some people use pointed bullets. Some use flat nose. Some use round nose. I know using a powered drill is cheating.  But maybe an old apple pealed could be modified to shape the bullet differently.  

When my eyes get back into proper focus I will try to get out to shoot again.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a lot of thinking on where to shoot since the weather has created problems to get to my shooting area. After two tries to get up that icy road I gave up until we have a real thaw. As Saturday the ice on the road to where I was shooting only melted about 400’. And 4 plus miles to travel.

So with the wife along we decided to go for a walk. We were just about to the parking spot for walking when the wife said about the other place near home. So I made a quick right turn and I said ok. I found the side road to travel to that site on federal land to shoot on. It looked really smooth for a dirt road but there was no snow. About 1 mile into the drive I mentioned to the wife what is it with the road. She said it looks like there is a lot of calcium on it. So I stopped and looked at it sitting still. There was dirt on top of the ice.  I said look at it.  Sure enough there was ice under the dirt and the dirt was getting thinner.   So I turned around and went home.

So now I was thinking about the bullet I came up with to shoot long distance. Now I am trying to do it as back in the 1870 or so.

WQ50PWLl.jpg

Just a thought on how to made a bullet.

So I was thinking all the open country where I could shoot at a distance on reservation land. I do know one rancher that has  a nice spot to shoot, but the back drop area is on reservation land.     So I did some searching and found two different tracks of land that the Montana state owns.  So it is on flat open land with hills that are a few hundred feet high on them. Later today I will call the state to see if I can shoot on those places. And see if anyone has cattle on them.

Also found a range down the road from there. It may work but only 100 yards..

Vern in a T-shirt 

So if I am going to shoot at a hill 400’ high and 600’ wide, at say 700 hundred yards. How many sets of eyes are needed to see were the bullet strikes.

I do believe I can get 1000 yards distance on this property. That is if the rifle will do it. Then I better figure out how to make a target that is easily transported. I do have  an extra awning shade that I could role out. Weight it down with 5 lb chunks of lead.

Waiting a return call from Montana DNCR about permission to shoot on there property.

At least I am not bored with nothing to do.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Skip the 1890's time restrictions, set up a Mythbusters camera group, and watch from 7 different angles. In slo-mo, even. Seriously, though, get your short range targetting down first. Couple hundred yards, then stretch it out. Way less searching. A spotting scope goes a long way, too. For fun with snow covered hillsides, mix up some cheap Kool-Aid in a milk jug, about twice the strength of the label. You'll know when you connect. Can't help until the border gets some ventilation holes.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have been trying to get to a place where I could shoot at a hundred yards to zero the scope in. I sorta did it backwards at first when I did not have iron sights on the rifle. Once I put iron sights on and seen where they were set at, then I understood why the scope was off. With the iron sights adjusted properly then I could see why the scope was so far off. Since getting the iron sights on target and the scope mounting adjustable in all directions the weather has kept me from getting to the one place I could shoot.

The bullets I have been shooting should be fairly accurate to maybe 200 yards. Back in the seventies I shot these same bullets out of my long rifle. Easy to keep a 6” group, offhand with iron sights back then when I did not understand patience so much.

I may buy some bullets that are known to be a accurate at long distance muzzleloader shooting.

I have been reading about long distance shooting with a muzzleloader and trying to understand patience, breathing and trigger pull.  And wind. Which I surely did not understand back then in the seventies. Also trying to get my left arm to hold the rifle up for shooting. Rifle weights 13 pounds. Most shooting will be done from a bench, but exercise is good. Also the buffalo hunters did not like shooting while laying on the ground as it would make the sound irritate the herd. Where if the stood up it did not affect the buffalo as much.

Now to the new ideal shooting place I found. Actually two really good flat areas with high hills for a backdrop. They are Montana state owned. But they are on the Flathead Indian reservation. And have grazing rights on them. So Mt dncr said I need a permit from the reservation first, then there approval, which then  requires ranchers approvalin writing. So now can I sweet talk the rancher into this idea and get his approval. For when there are no cattle on this section.

I was trying not to contact the reservation as I thought they would never allow this idea to take place. So the dncr said to contact them about a permit to shoot. Well if would they would give me a permit, could it be possible to shoot at another location on the reservation. I may do that today. They cannot say more than no.

So today I will search for more places north of the reservation that is on government land. There is a lot of government land hear. Just not much that you could shoot long distance and be safe about it. Especially with the road conditions on higher elevations.

Vern in a T-shirt   

I did forget to mention bullet drop also. Which may be confusing as he??? To get a grip on it.

Edited by Wrknrvr

So my next gun build was first seen on the movie Jeremiah Johnson. That movie is on today on Grit tv.   If I remember correctly there is only one scene with a Indian holding the gun.  I do have a original gun to convert to look like that gun. I would be working on it now..  But my friend at the machine shop decided to have a covid party.  So his place is off limits for a few weeks.

Now if I do find a place to shoot. I am going to see if I could borrow my friends at the machine shops original muzzleloader. It is actually a target rifle that has a 1 1/2” octagon. 54 caliber it is. Might be fun to shoot it.   Do I invite him. I normally would but that darn airflow could be a problem riding in the Same vehicle .

Was involved in other stuff today so no calls out today. I do have a 30 power spotting scope., but no fancy cameras.

Have a good day,   Vern in a T-shirt 

Well the weather has put a hold on shooting.  Every road i tried to go on to search for a open spot has ice on it.

So I decided to call the reservation about shooting. The little chief that answered the phone said that since big game hunting just ended that I would not be allowed to shoot on the reservation. So I keep talking to him about what I wanted to do. But he said there are two braves that check the area quit a often  as they are responsible for irrigation canals and generally watching for mischief. He said if braves caught me they would bring me in to meet the little chief. Little chief said that the area I wanted to shoot in has bighorn sheep in it. I told him I know as I had one run across the road once in front of me several years ago.

He did  tell me about a place of land that I could shoot with no regulations on it. But I would bet that road is icy now also.

I am working slowly on other gun stuff as time permits. Soon to make a furnace for melting German silver to cast parts for guns.

Vern in a T-shirt 

With winter weather being in the area it has put a damper on finding a place to shoot. The one local range only has 100 yard range open now. The other one is not taking new participants.   There is one I may check out about 45 minutes southwest of where we are. Just did not have time to go in that direction lately.

So yesterday I tried casting some bullets. Out of maybe 30 cast bullets a dozen look good. It takes quit a few to be cast to get the wrinkles of of the bullets. Then yesterday I noticed the aluminum base mold exspanded more than the steel upper part. As you can see the lower mold can shift to one side. Although I had put stops on the aluminum mold to hold it centered.

With the aluminum mold expanding more than the steel I figured out to moved the mold to center the upper mold. Frustrating but can be done. I am thinking of buy a steel mold for the bottom. Or make one as I have some smaller round ball molds I do not need.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/LIIe23ul.jpg[/IMG]

On the left is a good bullet. As you see going to the right you can see different problems do occur. The one bullet pulled apart as it was removed too quickly.

Vern in a T-shirt 

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/BgpHWOUl.jpg[/IMG]  The picture may not work?

Edited by Wrknrvr

51 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

I think you're getting too many "IMG" in the link. Wen you copy/paste, strip off the outside ones at the front and back.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have sorta given up on shooting the rifle for awhile as the weather has prohibited driving on the back country roads. The wife would be real made if I had a accident from  the winter weather. Only one shooting range will allow new members. They have a 100 yard range open now. Hopefully they will open there 300 yard range in the spring. Also I would need to go to a orientation to join the club. I do not want be near people now because of the covid thing.

I will work on a better bullet mold while there is snow on the ground and I can work in the machine shop.  When the weather gets better I have located a few possibilities for shooting.

Will keep informed,    Vern in a T-shirt 

• 2 weeks later...

Since giving up on a place to shoot during the winter I have been doing some work about 85 miles away through a long valley. I always just drove through the valley going somewhere else. But since I was driving through there for several days and there is snow on the ground I spotted two possible shooting locations. So I was going to stop and look at both sites for a few minutes. 

But I slipped on ice at that job and since have visited a doctor and been using a walker. Today I will start using crutches and see if my speed will increase. I have been looking at state maps that show public and private land. 

When the snow melts there are several places I can shoot at a distance.

Vern is in repair at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am slowly get back to moving again. Since I had time to sit and think about the rifle I realized I may need to have a simple way to make sure the rifle in not tilted off to either side, when aiming. So this picture shows my thinking.

My computer will not let me type under the picture.  So this how’s how I am thinking about making a pendulum level. It will be on the rear side of the front scope mount, so as to be seen when getting ready to sight the rifle just at 1 o’clock from the scope. The hook part will not be there. Just straight down. I will make one out of silver. I have a sheet of silver about 1/16” thick.

On a side note. The rifle doubles as a crutch when needed. So was a little frustrating to see the snow melt while I was unable to go shoot. Yep, now it is going to be snowing a little in the next couple days. I really hate to sit down like that again.

Also have been thinking about bullets again. But I need to earn some time from the machine shop friend. So I can pester him to do some machine work for me. I would hate to break something in his shop.

Vern in a T-shirt 

tiZM5esl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

https://i.imgur.com/41FTsw7l.jp

so the top link is bad.     But he photo shows how I made a level gauge with simple materials that could possibly be found in the 1870s. The scope tube sets in the saddle to the left.

Modern rifles would probably have a spirit level to control the level of the rifle from side to side.

I Tilted the rifle to show how the pendulum would line up over the hole with light showing on both sides.   

I am also working on the small discs with holes in then for the scope itself. In my thinking if the center hole is offset by a certain amount that should be able to be used for windage adjustment. There can be a disc inserted in the front of the scope also. I will do some testing as for offset doc without shooting the rifle  where we are sitting.  Really tired of snow since any distance shooting will require some back road travels.

There are some dates for long distance shooting out to 1000 yards west Of Missoula Montana this spring. They are black powder cartridge mostly, but some muzzleloader also. I do want to visit the range on a off day when there is no competition happening.

Still waiting for a vaccine being in my arm before going where other humans are. Unless absolutely needed. 

Stay safe ,    Vern in a T-shirt 

kTuJC1tl.jpg 

Edited by Wrknrvr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone if near Phoenix Arizona there is long distance muzzleloader shoot happening for a few more days. Unfortunately we are still in Montana.

https://azmuzzleloading.com/index.php/registrationazwins/

I would really like to be there. But maybe next year. If anyone goes please post what it is about.

Vern

• 2 weeks later...

So lately I have been watching the snow melt in the mountains, so I can go shooting again.

I have also been thinking about making my own bullet mold. So with drill bit in hand and grinding the end for the shape I wanted, it was time to make a mold. But first maybe I should make a test mold. Make one in wood. Simple easy and fast. So the first attempt was a lesson in bullet design. Test it first in something simple. Look at the photo on the left. It shows the bullet design is too pointy for what I want.

So I cut the base end of the drill bit off and started to grind it to another design shape.  Must use hard wood for bullet hole to get somewhat smooth.

But heck it did give me a feeling for the bullet shape. I do believe one could make a respectable mold out of wood. Although it may only survive So many castings. I never heard of making a bullet mold out of wood before. Probably never will again.

What I am trying to do is to make is  a bullet mold to cast lead bullets tha I can paper patch. And use the same bullet in my muzzleloader and the other restoration project I am working on. It will be chambered for a 45/70 rifle cartridge on the left barrel.

Have fun today, be safe and protect others!

Vern in a T-shirt 

MY9AP5sl.jpg

Edited by Wrknrvr

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I had installed crosshairs in the front of the scope tube. They work much better at less than 300 yards.

But they are .040 thousands on a inch in diameter. After sighting through the scope at 65 yards I noticed the size of the wire is tooooo big . Will install a smaller wire gauge crosshairs for the next trip to the range.

I did try two.factory bullets for the rifle diameter. Very good results. Then I tried two paper patched bullets. That idea needs more work.

But I am feeling better as now I have a somewhat controlling combination that I can just work on one variable at a time.

Vern in a T-shirt