solar controller question

GlennWest

Surprised you suggesting a cheaper controller. Never heard of that one. Can it be adjusted for say 56v?  Not saying it no good, I just don't know. I do like your awning. Don't now if I will need to but nice to know I have that option. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, while I threw out that 56 Volt figure THATS NOT INTENDED AS CORRECT OR EXACT. The battery manufacture can recommend the appropriate charge levels and times and a proper "Smart" 3/4 Stage Lithium compatible solar charge controller uses the correct charge parameters to suit the battery. It may for example start at 56 or 58 or so volts ?? and later back off to some sort of low charge or maintenance level I DONT KNOW check with the battery manufacturer for charging specifications NOT ME..... With such a huge investment in batteries, DO NOT use any other then the correct charger is all I'm saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the previous post I wouldn't prefer too much over 100 net volts when configuring solar panels, although with appropriate wire and insulation and associated equipment,  sure higher voltages can be used if the controller is compatible. YOUR choice not ours...

John T  Glad to help if I can but this is getting above my pay grade lol I'm NOT any solar expert

13 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

Glenn, while I threw out that 56 Volt figure THATS NOT INTENDED AS CORRECT OR EXACT. The battery manufacture can recommend the appropriate charge levels and times and a proper "Smart" 3/4 Stage Lithium compatible solar charge controller uses the correct charge parameters to suit the battery. It may for example start at 56 or 58 or so volts ?? and later back off to some sort of low charge or maintenance level I DONT KNOW check with the battery manufacturer for charging specifications NOT ME..... With such a huge investment in batteries, DO NOT use any other then the correct charger is all I'm saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the previous post I wouldn't prefer too much over 100 net volts when configuring solar panels, although with appropriate wire and insulation and associated equipment,  sure higher voltages can be used if the controller is compatible. YOUR choice not ours...

John T  Glad to help if I can but this is getting above my pay grade lol I'm NOT any solar expert

Actually max charge volts is 58v on my batteries. 56 safe number

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Actually because these are reconfigured EV batteries, no recommendations from manufacturer. I also have  the 14s battery and run absorb/bulk at 57.2 and float at 57. I would not get a charge controller or inverter charger that you could not set individual charge voltages. The Magnum has a lithium setting, but is a constant current, constant voltage type, that only charges at 55 volts. But it also has a custom setting that allows you to set your voltages higher. My solar controllers also have the ability to set voltages. Many grid tie inverters accept 600 volts from a string of panels in series. Think this may be the legal limit on residential systems, so I feel pretty safe running 240 volts into my 250 volt solar controllers.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Glen, I was just looking at the user manual for my Epever 50a controller. It came with an MT-50 remote panel or you can send the info to your phone or computer and adjust everything using their software. The even have special software you can download off their website specifically for lithium batteries. It can be sent by USB cable,  a wifi serial adapter, a bluetooth adapter or an available data logger that not only logs your data but allows you to monitor everything's performance in real time. It even came with a remote temperature sensor included in the price. You can even network up to 8 controllers using an available PT adapter.

It's actually a pretty sophisticated controller. It allows you to adjust the charging limit voltage and over voltage disconnect and reconnect voltage (essential for lifepo4 batteries), the equalize, boost and float voltage (you can even turn the equalize function off - also essential for Lifepo4s) You can adjust the undervoltage warning voltage, undervoltage reconnect, and discharge limit voltage, as well as the time its in boost and equalization mode. For a 48v bank all voltage parameters are adjustable from 36 volts to 68 volts by a tenth of a volt. Both the 100A and the 60a versions have a max conversion efficiency of 98.6% and a full load (min efficiency) of 98.0%. Tracking efficiency is over 99.5% with ultra fast tracking speed. Pretty impressive for an inexpensive controller.

My model has a 150v limit, but you can get other models with a 200v limit (but I don't recommend going to that high DC voltage unless it can't be avoided as it is very hazardous.) It seems pretty robust too, because the manual says you can overpanel the controller by as much as 50%. In other words you could put 6,000 watts of panels on one of their 4,000 watt controllers without burning it up. Of course it will only send a max of 4,000 watts to your batteries, but under low light conditions (like almost all of the day for flat mounted panels) it is capable of sending more amp hrs to your batteries. This feature might be useful if the converters were very expensive, but they are not. However it does speak to the reliability of the unit. They even offer free training courses online that teach you how to set-up and use their products. It has exceeded my expectations, representing an outstanding value, IMHO.

Chip

Sounds rather impressive. Sounds like it will work with my system. But you are the first I ever heard mention it. I am a ways off from this part of my project but will keep this in mind. Thanks. Did the MT 50 come with it or optional. see nothing on amazon about it

Edited by GlennWest

The MT-50 came with mine. There are vendors who leave them off to advertise a cheaper price. You really need it unless you want to go to computer monitoring. You need the battery temp sensor too. Mine came with a cable to attach to a computer, but it was too short to be useful. If you decide to go with either the wifi box or the bluetooth box that transmits a wireless signal to your computer you will have to buy them separately. I liked the simplicity of a dedicated panel, plus it was included in the price of the kit. Who wants to crawl in an outside bay under the rv to read the display and press buttons on the controller itself? 

Here's where I got mine. https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Controller-Negative-Regulator-Flooded/dp/B07LC657SH/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=50+amp+solar+charge+controller&qid=1556485348&s=gateway&sr=8-4

My 50a model was only $215 the big 100A model is $398. The 60 amp model for only $239 will be perfect for my 48v system, handling up to 3,000 watts at 48v. Since my panels will be mounted flat they won't produce anywhere near that. 

Here's a link to their 200v controllers if you need to go that high. https://www.amazon.com/EPEVER-Controller-Negative-Battery-10420AN/dp/B07KB6FMCX/ref=pd_sbs_86_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07KB6FMCX&pd_rd_r=2c1cafd5-a2b0-4149-b13c-43e9da740837&pd_rd_w=PTvth&pd_rd_wg=1VvX6&pf_rd_p=bdd201df-734f-454e-883c-73b0d8ccd4c3&pf_rd_r=A8PQND1887HNY752BB26&psc=1&refRID=A8PQND1887HNY752BB26

The downside is that since they have no preconfigured lithium settings each parameter must be set manually. But of course this only has to be done once. They have new 40a and smaller controllers that have several lithium settings, for all the different types of lithium batteries available. I believe that in the near future, maybe before you are ready to buy, they will upgrade their big controllers to include these features as well.

Chip

On 1/18/2020 at 10:04 AM, sushidog said:

I decided to hang 2 panels on the side as you suggest to free up my roof for 9 panels in the 39" x 66" format. This will take up a little over 29 ft of roof length leaving enough room for a walkway to service the panels.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/IUMiUb5rFDH4wdqL7cQWkJ_GOqWlJY0len5X5KXT8eWsBbl9Rs6r1RZW5SOdH3M7hfXKPg2uiCBOjdyf-_Gx6zx6KCfIDIQjmjUuRysaTKWTrIy17Ldz96D35-g9oWwLKQlQ_TWCv3PzEG1Ut8vS0RmuTV5pxtH2b5_kc3jdllWdrZkdn2x3l6sw98fT9i8OfqdjWqTWPe-ushiAvB6W85uUTu7iGa7bRt-2Uk8y_VGkaO9CPawhSG94FC_H1-HJN-3hUiYdatgLrh-iwa5M_uYpeqzmEN3VwBU4B-WVo9iKuUrC61zxNaKM0sZK06v_JmsJ3mVKstYFd-r2_RUjHTcfxYOeBj8f5V05q_akSCRdStN55C33O4cNL4ym72SjAeShL2FzB1ICzMizcNacFM1wEoCHuFWNbM7WkhREgQ9Y0vMYfxeKm2eGpGcAsnraIItVk7Bxam-X-GN4r9JVh_FVRZ3DMIo0l7dVbV7BQ1NFTMIlTnOfAjfTe0k9ZcgYLyxEs4IiFjgGY18R6o5UztOD33uypBObuRwAg2QKUO5XTziI6-pZ1-7ovto8wyZygCRYSPKDDdG0PQtXG-dfch6ZmJw6eoPaoSPN9pCEg77C2y9BXNrT5f3JdK9gbzciL1aJHuwwY5SMZfe4nV0HXn9UYYi7YIjNqany0rX45m8KBQ31vERCMA=w640-h480-no

I would go with a cheaper controller like this: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Regulator-1100W-4500W-Lead-Acid-Communication/dp/B07SVRLMBG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mppt%2Bsolar%2Bcharge%2Bcontroller%2Bfor%2Blithium%2B80%2Bamp&qid=1579360650&sr=8-3&th=1

The 80 amp controller I linked to is rated to 4540 watts, ( a little over 80 a) but with 4,000 watts of flat mounted panels you will never see over 4,000 watts of production. I would expect between 2,500 and 3,500 watts of real world output (depending on latitude and season). I would caution about wiring too many panels in series, running the voltage up too high, for the sake of safety. High voltage DC will arc (in fact you can weld with it) and it can be deadly. Please be very careful when installing, covering the panels and keeping the breakers off until you have the connections made.

I went with an Epever 50 amp MPPT for my 2 side panels (620 watts), giving me plenty of headroom in case I want ti upgrade my 12v batteries. I am very happy with its performance so far, but I do not recommend this controller for lithium batteries as there is no programmed setting for them. You can manually set it for lithiums, however, if you know what you're doing.

Chip

This guy likes them, 

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Question was asked several times on amazon about lithiuim and seller stated it will not work with lithium. That is the 100 watt unit. But if it can be set manually I don't see why not.

Edited by GlennWest

Yes I have all Victron on the coach 12 volt lithium system, real easy to set up. I have Magnum and Midnite Solar on the house 48 volt system, not so easy to set up and Bmk has a problem showing proper SOC with the lithiums, but could be operator error.

34 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I going with Magnum for inverters. Needing 230v it is a no brainier. Victron has to be in pairs and they are larger units. 

I an using the Magnum 4448 volt inverter, charging car at 10 amps, 240 volts. No problems so far.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:14 AM, GlennWest said:

Question was asked several times on amazon about lithiuim and seller stated it will not work with lithium. That is the 100 watt unit. But if it can be set manually I don't see why not.

Yes they will work, but you must program each parameter individually. Of course you only have to do it once. What the seller means is that they are not plug and play, like most people want these days. I'm sure he had some returned because there's not a button that says press here for lithium. They do make some other models of controllers (smaller ones) that you just press one button to select Lifepo4 and it sets it up for you. Sure, the Victron is the best but both work. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. If you are looking for a car to get to work you can buy a Honda or an Acura. Both will do the job equally well, IMHO. Of course the Acura is better, but you pay for the added features and quality.

I'm on a budget, so I'll buy the Honda, but congratulations if you can afford the Acura and want to get it. It's a better car, no question about that. But if your solar system is limited by dollars rather than roof space you could buy an extra couple solar panels with the money saved on the cheaper controller. The choice is yours. 

Chip