HDT BUNK CONVERSION TO BENCH SEAT !

trainbuff57x

Hey All ,

New to the Forum .I have a nice Freightliner Columbia 120 Toter , Looking to change the lower Bunk to a Bench seat for the lower section, Has anyone had any experience with doing this, ie; what type of seat ?, where to acquire one ?, problems encountered while doing this ect. ?  I would like to have seat belts incorporated in this project, I also just bought some Rear windows for that model that I am planning on installing, 

Any tips ,Ideas or leads will be Greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike M.

So IMO you might consult your state's RV statutes regarding passenger restraint. If the statutes state that passengers can move about while in motion, then the seat and seat belts can likely be sourced at automotive or off road performance outlets. But again, that's just my OPINION on it, I'm in no way an authority.

On the window, if you scroll down or go back to page 2, you should see a thread about installing sleeper windows.

I'm a work'n on it.

Welcome to the nut house.  Spend a little time with the search option above on the right, and you'll find several projects like yours.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Some people have used jack knife sofas, conversion van seat, made their own, and in our case, I simply made a fold up seat back that I can use the bed as a seat or still as a bed. We added four sets of seat belts to the back wall with extra long belts to use for the seating. On the Freightliner's watch out for the AC/heater unit under the passenger side of the bed, that may cause issues with trying to fit a generic seat in the back.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I installed a rear bench seat out of a medium duty truck.  It was slightly narrower than my sleeper so I built end tables with cup holders and hidden storage on either side of the bench.  The framing for the seat was installed with four bolts (drilled holes through the floor of the sleeper).  The bolts have large fender washers to keep everything in place.  This worked with my rear AC equipment that was under the old bed.  I have also mounted an AGM battery bank and inverter under the seat.  The seat has three integrated lap belts.  It works very well and was easy to do.  I have pictures of it in the truck link in my signature below.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I got a jack knife sofa from: https://rvsurplusparts.net/ They are close enough I didn’t have to ship it.

Seat belts from: https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/category/Conversion-Van-Seat-Belts.html  I used conversion van belts because I had to go fairly high up to attach the shoulder belts. There are also two lap belts in the center that are setup so you can have two small seats or one larger one.

You can find my build thread here: Moresmoke’s HDT  there are a few pictures of the cab work towards the end.

I altered the hinge height on my upper bunk so it swings down perfectly to form a backrest for the lower. Both bunks still usable separately.  Lower bunk is one side mattress, other side carpet, & the safety net on the lower now forms a net for my Sibes.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I have a freight liner columbia also. I used 3 front seats out of early 2000's Chevy trucks. Seats cost $150 off Facebook marketplace. They have built in seat belts. I got all non electric seats so in didn't have to run wires.

fgAfNdtl.jpg

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Behind the white seat is the HVAC for the sleeper so It sits ahead a little farther. But, I can slide the others ahead to get them in a row if I want and they all still recline. Check out my thread about installing windows in your sleeper get them in before you finish your interior.

Edited by jenandjon

Hey All,

Thanks for all the replies, I just took delivery of 2 good used windows out of a Cascadia from "My Little Salesman" a truck salvage place in Maryland,

I have't decided on the seat/seats for the rear yet still in research mode, I'm getting backed up with things to do on the rig , I have front springs/shocks, rear air bags and an oil change to get too, then I will get to working on the rear of the cab, This rig is going to be used for trips mostly so I have a few months to get the cab done,

JJ The pictures are great, I will check out your post ,Thanks,

Aprreciate all the imputes

Mike M..

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Fire guy said:

We gutted the sleeper on our Century and put in this rv couch.   Tight fit but it fits.   Comes in 6 pcs so it wasn't to hard to get in the doors.  Wife works from there when on the road so i needed her to be comfortable. 

KIMG0615.jpg

What did you do for seatbelts?

Great Ideas and pictures All I still haven't decided what I will go with , I am working on other things now for a trip coming up in 2 weeks, but will do this project in the spring when I get a nice block of time, The sofa looks Great !!! what was the source for it , if you remember Fire Guy,

Thanks,

Mike M.

Pretty sure it was camping world.   You pick the parts and build what you want.   We obviously went with the middle seat and console but could have just put an armrest or a skinny seat in as well in the middle.   A little on the pricey side but we figured if it didn't work well or we ever sell the truck,  we will move it to the 5th wheel and get rid of the crappy rv couch/hid-a-bed.  I really need some windows though like jenandjon did.