Lauren motorcycle in large fifth wheel

Bikertap

I would load it when hooked up but it cane be done without hooking up. If not hooked up the rear jacks need to be down. The same when unloading.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have loaded both hooked up and not.  I do try to raise the front of the trailer as high as possible either with the air hitch or the front trailer jacks.  Reasoning for that is to reduce ramp angle and breakover angle at the top of the ramp.  I see no reason to put rear jacks down because my trailer is so heavy that rear jacks have no effect on stabilizing the trailer.  When loading my bikes into my 16' enclosed cargo i used the same procedure hooked up or not.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Howdy!

We have a Smart Car that we load into our Cyclone 4000. I have loaded it when w e hooked up and not hooked up. When loading not hooked up, I have the jacks down.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Our manufacturer said to never have our rear Jack's down during loading and unloading but that may be more because we have a 5700# vehicle. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

5 hours ago, Bikertap said:

What is the 5700 vehicle?

Full size custom van!

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

4 hours ago, remoandiris said:

No, you do not have to be hooked up to load/unload.  IMO, you are better off being unhooked and LEVEL when loading or unloading.

If you are not level, you have NO IDEA what kind of twisting force you are putting on the RV's frame when loading/unloading.

Level side/side, agree.  Level front/back, doesn't matter, as long as you're not loading something heavy enough to stress the rear axle, which is very unlikely.  A production motorcycle can't over stress it.  It's common practice to raise the trailer nose while loading if the machine sits too low for the breakover angle.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

17 hours ago, rickeieio said:

It's common practice to raise the trailer nose while loading if the machine sits too low for the breakover angle.

Common practice for who?  I've been doing this a little while.  Never needed to do it and never seen it done.  But I don't have one of those bikes that sit too low, either.

14 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Common practice for who?  I've been doing this a little while.  Never needed to do it and never seen it done.  But I don't have one of those bikes that sit too low, either.

Well, read the post above by Orca for starters, and I know plenty of others who practice this method.  I've had a toy hauler since 2009, have hauled dozens of bikes and two cars, and never needed to, as our unit has a very long ramp/door, plus a beavertail at the rear.  Any of our bikes will load easily with the trailer level.

I would imagine if one were to do survey, we might be surprised at how many use this method.  But, it's your coach, do as you please.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, remoandiris said:

We have seen it done quite frequently on the car show circuit and yes it is for low clearance vehicles and bikes. Like others, we have not needed to do that with ours as our trailers always had a beaver tail and long ramp door. Our new trailer sits much higher than our old car hauler type trailers so I use a set of race ramps under the end of the ramp door and it prevents us from high centering or scraping the front end. We never use our rear Jack's and are always hooked up but we are loading a much heavier vehicle than most.

20 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I would imagine if one were to do survey, we might be surprised at how many use this method.  But, it's your coach, do as you please.

Surveys and statistics can be manipulated based on how questions are asked.  And a survey done on this forum is a representation of this forum, not the RVing population as a whole.  Your last sentence is the best answer. 

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Surveys and statistics can be manipulated based on how questions are asked.  And a survey done on this forum is a representation of this forum, not the RVing population as a whole.  Your last sentence is the best answer. 

I have read somewhere that 63.5% of statistics are just made up numbers.