2020 West Coast Rally - Now w/Schedule

Chad Heiser

Friends here in Tombstone are Canadian. Cutting their stay a month early to get back. I don’t get it. It does not make sense to have all the Canadians from the southwest, Yuma, Palm Desert, Florida etc etc to descend on the Canadian border virtually all at one. There is probably no safer place to be than the desert. Makes no sense, But, then again Socialized medicine makes no sense to me either. Travel safe all.

Chuck and Cheryl Beaty

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck, I think you will find that some of the insurance companies, not all, that write travel policies for out of Canada travel told their policy holders that starting last Friday, they had 10 days to get back across border. The notice said that medical problems while in the US would be covered but nothing with the coronavirus is covered. Besides that, they will be self quarantined after crossing into their home province. Several of our Canadian friends have bailed in the last couple of days from here in Yuma, AZ. I won't get into their medical up above the border but most of our northern friends have no problems with it.

I stopped doing FA on Construction sites, the builders still don't get it and neither do the Temp Agencies that send us out.

My idea was to use an antiseptic product and wipe down everything that could be touched in the 40' Britco trailer which had FA at one end, site boss at the other and plan tables/meeting room in the middle.  Also handrails everywhere, the doghouse, (covered outside blueprint area) plus anything else I could find....nope, the site boss said, we are not making any wholesale changes.  Workers still spit on the slab, I scuff it with my boot or brush dust over it.  The first aid supplies are spread out all over an event table.  I and my predecessor offered to build a locking cupboard but no, they are fine where they are.

They could take a chapter out of the Costco handbook when it comes to FA and cleanliness of the food area.

I wanted to mop the floor, nope there is some plywood that needs putting up.

At the end of the day the site boss said, 'see you tomorrow',  I said 'nope, I'm done, someone else can replace me.

Construction sites may not be possible to get 100% clean but they can sure get a lot better than they are now.

Social distancing is not happening.

We shall see what the count is by weeks or months end.

When I buy groceries and especially fruit and vegetables, I go to a store that's open 24 hrs and have the shelf stocker get me untouched product from the back before it goes on the shelf.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, rdickinson said:

Social distancing is not happening.

Social distancing:

Some (even "most") = yes.  Markets (etc.) doing very well in So. CA.  Lots of space in the aisles, marked distance separation on the floor while waiting for checker - with "directors" telling you when to go to the next avail checker.

No = News yesterday (3-24)  showed an airport shuttle bus for LAX employees (all types - inc'l flight crews) packed in like sardines!  Some are working at/in the airport (baggage handlers, etc.)  - others are flying to destinations across the country.

Got the attention it deserved - - now more buses with adequate(?) space to separate the passengers.

BTW  & IMO - the Gov of NY presents *excellent* daily news conferences!

All,

I hope everyone is well during this difficult time.  I have completed the schedule for the 2020 West Coast Rally.  It is attached to this post and the first post in the topic for reference.  We have a full schedule of events this year and I am looking forward to things calming down a bit so we can enjoy the rally.  So far we have 27 sites reserved (breaking our previous record by 1) with 14 of those for returning rally members and 13 for new rally members.  We have several new presenters with new topics as well.  Overall, it is shaping up to be a great rally.  

As I have stated previously, I am monitoring the Corona Virus situation and will make decisions related to the rally going forward based on the facts at the time.  As of now, we are still planing to continue with the rally.  I look forward to seeing everyone in June.  I think by then, most of us will be itching to get out of our self quarantines and have some fun.  😉

I sent an email to all confirmed attendees, so check your email for specific information and to answer a couple of questions for the rally.

Thank you, stay safe, and see you in June (hopefully)!

2020 HDT West Coast Rally Schedule.docx

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Rally Update.

I just wanted to let everyone know I spoke with Ambassador RV Resort this morning and they are looking forward to hosting our rally.  Conditions are continuing to improve in the area.  The resort said they had some guest cancellations early on due to the pandemic (not from our rally attendees) and now that things seem to be improving in the area, those people that cancelled are trying to get there reservations back.  They are happy to have our rally coming to the park again this year.

As of this morning (4/27/2020), Idaho is reporting just under 1900 confirmed cases for the entire state (click here for CDC data).  That puts them in the bottom 8 states based on the CDC statistics.  Overall, Idaho has done very well relative to other states in keeping the virus counts low.

Here is a link to Idaho's path to reopening from the Corona Virus.  If they meet all their goals, they will be in the final stage during our rally.  Hopefully they can meet the goals they have set forth and will be well on the way to recovery by the time of our rally.

I also spoke with the wine tour company.  They reached out to the wineries this morning to get an idea of how or if the wine tour will be able to go on as scheduled.  When I have more information about that, I will let everyone know.  If Idaho meets all their goals as discussed in the Idaho Rebounds link I posted above, it would seem the wine tour should be able to proceed, but I can't say for sure at this time.

We are also in contact with the Elks Lodge regarding our dinner with them.  We do not have a final answer as to whether they will be able to host us as planned because it will depend on what the state will allow at that time.  We are hopeful though, again based on Idaho's path to reopening, that this will go on as planned.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

See you in June.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

I had a couple of last minute adds to the rally.  This puts us at 31 sites reserved for our group and officially makes this the largest WCR to date. 

The T-shirt order is in.  The shirts will be an Antique Red color this year. 

I put the order in for all the parts to build the trailer testers.  The cost for this will be dependent on how many people participate.  I ordered enough parts so that we can build one for each reserved site.  It will be a simple build for everyone who wants to participate and they are handy little devices to have around for anyone who owns a trailer with an RV 7 way plug.  I have loaned mine out a few times now to people who have been in need.  Here is an example of what we will be building:

Oqy7h0nl.jpg

The only difference will be that we will be using different color wires to color code the functions rather than labeling each wire (since I don't have a cool heat shrink label maker).

As an aside, I had a bit of a scare at work regarding scheduling that could have affected me going to the rally.  All vacations for April and May were cancelled and we were put on a modified schedule due to the COVID-19 issues.  There was some question as to whether June was going to be more of the same (I'm not sure what I would have done), but thankfully we are going back to normal schedules at the end of May and my June vacation is safe for the rally.  I was sweating it for a bit, but I am happy to be going back to normal duties and looking forward to the rally.  

I know things are not back to normal, but they do appear to at least be getting better.  We will do our best to take appropriate precautions at the rally to keep everyone safe.  We will have a group discussion the evening of check in to get everyone on the same page and discuss possible tweaks or modifications to the rally schedule.

See you in June - next month.  😀

event.png    

43 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

looking to come up for a day or two, I'll be in UT. I'll let you know. Situation still fluid. keeping fingers crossed. 

Shannon

Drop us a PM when you get to SL. That's our home base.

Bob & Lisa

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

6 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

looking to come up for a day or two, I'll be in UT. I'll let you know. Situation still fluid. keeping fingers crossed. 

Shannon

Sounds good.  Hopefully it works out.

event.png    

All is a GO for us to be at the rally. 

We are in Portland, OR. now. Leaving Friday for Caldwell. My truck is slow, but I thank I can make it. lol 

Last week we were in Caldwell. We were passing through, but had brake problems and parked over night at the Truck Stop at the exit for Ambassador RV park. I got permission to use the Rodeo Arena parking lot, just down the street and replaced the brake backing plate and all.

The next exit West of the exit for Ambassador has a Maveric Fuel Stop, with satellite pumps and cheep fuel. ($1.89 I think)

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

42 minutes ago, dlcarsonak said:

All is a GO for us to be at the rally. 

We are in Portland, OR. now. Leaving Friday for Caldwell. My truck is slow, but I thank I can make it. lol 

Last week we were in Caldwell. We were passing through, but had brake problems and parked over night at the Truck Stop at the exit for Ambassador RV park. I got permission to use the Rodeo Arena parking lot, just down the street and replaced the brake backing plate and all.

The next exit West of the exit for Ambassador has a Maveric Fuel Stop, with satellite pumps and cheep fuel. ($1.89 I think)

Excellent.  See you in June.

That Maverick is a great place to buy fuel.  I’ve used it a few times.

event.png    

10 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

y'all not in the TSD Fuel program? 

I am, but am new to it and with all the stuff going on, I haven't used it yet.  I may run out to the truck stop nearest me this weekend and fill up just to try it out.  We'll see how motivated I get.

event.png    

8 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well in a few days the USA and Canadian governments will decide whether the border will reopen. I honestly don't think it will and I'll probably miss my first WCR. I'm sure going miss seeing everyone. Trying times...everyone stay safe.

I'm still hopeful you can make it.  It won't be the same without you.

As an aside, the first time attendees outnumber the returning attendees this year by a couple so there will be a lot of new faces.

event.png    

23 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

y'all not in the TSD Fuel program? 

Looks like I missed my opportunity to fuel my truck and get the great discount from Loves with TSD.  A couple of weeks ago when I got the card I fueled my 1 ton at the Loves in Ripon CA and got a $1.50 off the advertised price (before 10%).  Today its only $0.16, cheaper at local stations.  Looks like now the best price with TSD is TA and Petro truck stops, which is about  $1.00 a gal. off.  Which is still a great price, but nearest one to me is 70 miles away.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

15 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I'm still hopeful you can make it.  It won't be the same without you.

As an aside, the first time attendees outnumber the returning attendees this year by a couple so there will be a lot of new faces.

It's great that there will be many new people attending!

18 minutes ago, dan412 said:

Is there still time to go to the rally? 

Yes as long as the RV park has a site for you, you can come (even if they don't you could still come 😉).  If you do end up deciding to come, get in touch with me so I can get some information from you.

Edited by Chad Heiser

event.png