Follow up video on our Dometic heat pump tripping the breaker

Some of you folks thankfully have been trying to help me troubleshoot why my 2015 rooftop Dometic Heat Pump (#651816). The units fan will start but shortly after trips the breaker. I have gone through several things to try and diagnose what is causing it. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words words so a video showing testing the compressor for short to ground, replacing the breaker and testing and replacing the start and run capacitors may give you a better understanding of what I have tried. The fan and compressor relays are mounted on the control board so I can't just pull them off and just replace. I appreciate any help I can get. I am not an HVAC tech, just a home owner with enough skills to be very, very dangerous that likes to fix his own stuff and doesn't give up easily. Thanks again for any help you can provide, Mike

Like I  said in your last post the motor inside the compressor is fine but the compressor it drives is locked up inside the sealed case so you need a new compressor or a new unit. The piece you pointed to and called it a expansion valve is the reversing valve for the hear pump operation and has nothing to do with the compressor starting.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Denny,

You are correct on both accounts.  It is locked up. I did a couple of other tests. I unhooked the compressor and set the stat to call for both heat and cool. The breaker did not trip. I also found I had 120 volts on the start relay so I think the control board is good. You are also correct it is a reversing valve.

I really do appreciate all your responses. I wish I could have fixed it but not this time. Time to blow some cash, but you got to admit I did not just lay down and give up easily. 

Mike

They are easy to replace, the hardest part is getting it up on the roof. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Denny,

I am sure I could install it. If I did I would rent a material lift for $75. The unit would cost me about $1,500. A few years ago I would not hesitate, but now I am 67 years old. I would also need to pick up the rental lift, get it in and out of my truck and return it. The unit weighs a little over 100 lbs. That's my top end of lifting at this point. The best bid I have so far (I always get three bids) is about $2,000 turn key. I could save about $400 if I do it myself but if I screw up and drop it or something it's on me. I am on the fence. I would love another win but I am not sure on this one. So simple yet it has its has some challenges. 

I am thinking it over,

Mike

18 minutes ago, Mikescamping said:

Hey Glenn,

I am on the move all the time and I am in a 5th wheel. I have installed several mini split's on telephony buildings for Centurylink and am a fan, but I can't see one on my 5th wheel unless I was stationary for long periods of time. 

Thanks,

Mike

Glenn and others have installed mini splits on mobile RV's.  I am considering it but I would like to know what problems you see with it as I am still in the planning stages.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I have no issue with the the mini splits, they work great and are a very straight forward installation. However heat Pumps also work great in my application and the condenser is hidden. I would need to mount a platform somewhere for a mini splits condenser and find wall space for the interior unit ( I have none). It is a great option for a lot of folks. 

Mike

Look at this price https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-appliances/air-conditioner/air-conditioners-coleman-dometic/duo-therm-rv-heat-pump_B59186.XX1C0  I've bought a few units from them with no problems.

All you have to do is remove the inside cover and remove 4 bolts and pick it off. A little help from a friend or to to get it on the roof and your ready to go. You already have the wires disconnected.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Get a ladder and a rope. Slide the AC unit up the ladder with 1 person following it on the ladder, and 1 on the roof doing most of the work. Save the rental money. 

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

14 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Get a ladder and a rope. Slide the AC unit up the ladder with 1 person following it on the ladder, and 1 on the roof doing most of the work. Save the rental money. 

Also leave it in the box and for sure on the wood frame it will come on.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175