Suburban furnace for heating under the fifthwheel

Wrknrvr

We are both sorta bored with the South for winter travels. So we are planning on staying in Montana next winter.

No I do not need to be in a mental institution. Yet

So the other day I got a Suburban furnace as a benefit of a rv job. So I got a idea to close in the fifthwheel with 4” styrofoam and maybe install that Suburban furnace at the back of the fifthwheel so that it will heat the area under the  fifthwheel. With 12vdc power, thermostat and propane tank at the rear of the fifthwheel we mite feel warm.

Back in late October we had 0 degrees before we left for Arizona. I have worked outside at 20 below so why not. 

Just thinking,   Vern

With a big enough propane tank, why not? If you run the whole trailer off a large, horizontal tank, you should be able to keep enough vapour pressure to run everything. Don't forget that at -44 farenheit, you won't get any vapour, so look at insulating and heating the tank. 

ETA: Not my cup of tea, but have at it.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

expect the heat underneath to cause moisture collection on metal, especially if the furnace is not vented to the outside-exactly like your built-in furnace. LP when burned emits water vapor. Also, there is the issue of exhaust fumes to consider.

Take care and do it right.            

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We used hay bales as both skirting and insulation, and added a few heat-lamps borrowed from our bird's roost shelter and nothing froze up.  That said, hay is not a good combination with a propane fired furnace so you might consider making a shelter for the furnace and ducting some heat to where it is needed.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

This is my thinking how it may be installed. In this area but not sitting on a plastic step

sKVFcBdl.jpg

There is some thought needs to be worked out. But it gives me something to think about. Maybe run ducts toward s kitchen area?

I do have a Aquahot system in the fifthwheel that can operate on off road fuel. 55 gallon drum for storage tank in Montana. The truck holds 300 gallons of fuel And two regular propane furnaces in the fifthwheel.

Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

One item to consider, is to put down a layer of plastic and put your insulation board on it as well.  Box area in, tape the seams on the inside and outside.  We know several people that live in the Bismark ND KOA year round.  The use the pink or blue 4" insulation board, line the area with plastic, and most use a small electric heater underneath.  Make sure to box in and heat your sewer and water as well.

Many folks swear by this heated hose up there as well.  https://nofreezewaterhose.com/pages/about-us 

As long as the furnace exhaust is outside the wall, go for it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

As long as the furnace exhaust is outside the wall, go for it.

Of course, you want to keep that exhaust away from the door and whatever windows you open for ventilation as well.

I'm sure Wrknrvr knows that but newbies reading this posting may not think of it.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van