Escaping the Nor-Wet gloom.................

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Today at the Casa del Cob, there is a sense of urgency in all things being done, the Dogs, Newt and Willy, KNOW that something is happening.

The truck recently repaired and serviced is ready to go, we have our cloths packed and minimal supplies needed until we pick up the trailer at Chad's home in northern California, from whence we will join Chad and Jen, and travel to Arizona where we will rendezvous with Jim and Kellie, somewhere in the desert a bit north of Quartszite.

I can't put into words how much I am anticipating seeing the sun again, to feel its warmth, to breath dry air, to be among friends enjoying the out of doors and fellowship of like minds and interests.  I NEED this so bad, the recovery from the knee surgeries thou it has gone well has really taken a lot out of me and the weather here in the Nor-Wet is so darn depressing it has affected both my physical and mental well being.

We leave at 0:Dark30 AM the morning of the 9th, will spend the night at a motel in Grants Pass OR, arrive at Chad's home late afternoon early evening of the 10th.  Chad will be doing some more wiring on the truck, I now drive the Smart Car onto the truck but I have everything to use a winch already built but I don't have it wired so Chad will do this for me so that in case of whatever need I may have I can get the car on the truck if I can't drive it.  Twice I have had to drive it up wet ramps, both times were successful but down right scary when half way up the car starts to slide sideways on the ramps.

I have longed for this departure date, it's about the only thing that has kept me going as of late and not succumbing to a deep sense of depression, I am so glad that Donna is finally retired and that we can even if only for a short while ESCAPE from where we live.

Dave, Donna, Newt and Willy

Edited by mr. cob
cuz I kant sqel

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 minutes ago, RickS said:

Hey Dave....hope you have a great time out at Q. Say hi to everyone from us and hope to join the snowbirds down there soon. Snow and -35 this weekend for us.....just about had enough of that. :)

Howdy Rick,

I will be more then happy to pass along your greetings, wish you folks were there, looking forward to this years SxS meeting in Nevada.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, noteven said:

60 sumthin - warm and partly cloudy over here in San Diego county 

clear and 75 yesterday

say howdy to Chad ‘n them

have a safe trip 

Howdy Lawrence,

Looking out my window right now, it's SNOWING.  In order to leave from our home we have to climb a 15% grade just out side of our driveway.  I sure hope I don't have to chain up just to get out of here. 🤬

I'll be sure to pass on your greetings.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Safe travels in the morning!  

Howdy Jim,

It's snowing, got about an inch on the ground and it's still coming down forecast calls for snow all night and for the next week.  We are loading the truck now, the snow was melting earlier in the day now it's sticking, am concerned about getting up the hill in the morning it could easily turn into glare ice by then. ☹️

Have I mentioned how HAPPY I am to leaving this miserable, at this time of year, part of the country. 😁

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Agree with Not Even.  Spent New Years week at the Silver Strand in San Diego...60-70s all weekend and beautiful sunsets. 

Enjoy Quartzite, you'll be in good company with Chad and the sunsets out there are also awesome!

5JqifWWl.jpg "border=0

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Looking forward to seeing you when you get here.  Hope it isn’t too difficult to get out of your place.  Safe travels.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy All,

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, please know that they are returned 10 fold for all your travels.

The truck is warming up, everything's packed except for the computer and its going in the bag when I post this note.  The local roads are slippery according to the news but we will just take it slow until we clear the seattle tacoma area hopefully we will be on the other side of that mess before 10:AM.

If we get the chance to meet up with some of you folks while we are in or around Q, that would be great, looking forward to it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Looking forward to seeing you when you get here.  Hope it isn’t too difficult to get out of your place.  Safe travels.

Howdy Chad,

We are leaving in a few minutes, I'll call you this evening and let you know our travel status, barring unforeseen circumstances we should arrive and spend the night in Grants Pass OR this evening.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, chief916 said:

Safe travels to all of you.  May all of you have sunny skies and dry roads.

Howdy Chief916,

It has taken us close to 5 hours to get from our home 50 miles north of seattle to a truck stop a few miles south of Tacoma. Snow and rain all the way.  However we are finally headed SOUTH.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

My travel plans have changed with the weather moving in here in Kansas, loading the Jeep and the Zero up in my redneck trailer and heading west today, hope to miss the freezing rain and most of the snow. 
Can’t wait to get to Arizona and get out of this crap, I know just exactly what Mr. Cob is talking about.

Everyone have a safe day and safe travels for those of us that are in the stuff and I’ll see you in the desert this week.

GCTaaehl.jpg

9 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

My travel plans have changed with the weather moving in here in Kansas, loading the Jeep and the Zero up in my redneck trailer and heading west today, hope to miss the freezing rain and most of the snow. 
Can’t wait to get to Arizona and get out of this crap, I know just exactly what Mr. Cob is talking about.

Everyone have a safe day and safe travels for those of us that are in the stuff and I’ll see you in the desert this week.

Howdy All,

We spent last night at the Travel Lodge in Grants Pass OR.  We are about 40 minutes from where we will stop for lunch with luck we will arrive at Chad’s home between 4-6PM.

50 degrees and SUN SHINE at the rest stop about 50 south of Redmond CA.  Seriously it’s been months since I have felt the sun and been this warm.  Life at this point is really looking up, now if my darn new knees would just stop hurting it couldn’t much better.

Dave, Donna, Newt and Willy 

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chief916,

It has taken us close to 5 hours to get from our home 50 miles north of seattle to a truck stop a few miles south of Tacoma. Snow and rain all the way.  However we are finally headed SOUTH.

Dave

Keep her slow and steady and stay safe.

Howdy All,

We arrived at Chad and Jen’s yesterday around 5:30PM.  I was so tired after exchanging greetings I went into our trailer and went to sleep I needed the rest two fairly long days of driving had worn my new knees out.

Today the sun is shining it will get up to around 50 degrees I can’t put into words what such a change in weather has done for my spirits.

The plan for the day is to wire the winch on the truck deck this is to load the Smart Car, when and if it’s raining I have driven the car on to the deck when the ramps are wet and I don’t want to do it again.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

We arrived at Chad and Jen’s yesterday around 5:30PM.  I was so tired after exchanging greetings I went into our trailer and went to sleep I needed the rest two fairly long days of driving had worn my new knees out.

Today the sun is shining it will get up to around 50 degrees I can’t put into words what such a change in weather has done for my spirits.

The plan for the day is to wire the winch on the truck deck this is to load the Smart Car, when and if it’s raining I have driven the car on to the deck when the ramps are wet and I don’t want to do it again.

Dave

Dave, I know you're looking to get me banging my drum again, so here goes. Mount the winch on the car, not the truck. It will give a lot more flexibility, for the same price. That is all.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

Glad to hear you made it safe, and the new knees are treating you well.  Have fun in the sun, Dave.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I have to say I'm a little jealous of all you headed to warmer weather. You all worked hard your whole lives you deserve it! Jen and I will winter with you in about 13 or 14 years.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

20 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am interested in knowing more about how you and Chad are going to wire up your winch. The reason that I made that statement is because I need to add a winch to my truck also. I will start a new thread about adding a winch to my truck. I hope you can make some comments in the new thread. Maybe Chad can make some comments.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "