Newbies with heater trouble

KBArtisans

We went to bed last night with the heat on and sometime during the night we ran out of propane. We switched tanks this morning and can hear it trying to ignite but just runs blowing cold air and then shuts off. Is there something else we are suppose to do? We are in a 5th wheel - Kit Companion. 

Two possibilities come to mind. Since you ran out of propane before changing tanks, there may be air in the line that needs to be vented out before the furnace will light. Turn on the stove top burner and light it first to be sure all air is vented. It may take a bit of time before the air stops and propane begins, so that the burner lights. Once it is burning well try the furnace again.

The second thought is that if you are not connected to shore power then you could also have low voltage from your batteries, which can cause that problem, but the more likely is the first.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When you said you switched tanks, was that by using the switch/valve at the tanks? Are you positive that the new tank is full?  If you have not done so already, switch out the tanks  manualy ( meaning swap tank position with each other., moving the known empty tank to the other side and installing the "new" tank to empty tank position.)This will tell you if your switch over valve is good or bad.  Good luck

Jim

I know this should go without saying but i have made this mistake myself!!  Make sure the valve on the full tank is open when you switch tanks!  😮

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

25 minutes ago, KBArtisans said:

So excited to learn these things.

Here is a belated welcome to the Escapee open forums! We are happy that you came here and even more happy that our replies were helpful. Please continue to visit these forums and join in with comments or new thoughts. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I ran out once years ago. At 4am I woke up FREEZING!!! The switch over switched over and I was not aware. So now I do it manually. I keep one full tanks valve closed and when the other tank is empty, I switch over and fill the empty tank. At least if I wake up cold, I just switch over and have heat right away. They make monitors so you can see about where your tank level is. Another thing I have learned is when opening the valve of a full tank of propane is to open it slowly. For some reason if you open it to fast it screws something up. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3