Ok, I have a Volvo 670 we had 17" of snow dumped on us, took front end loader and moved snow for about 5 hours.  Wanted to move truck to clean around it and tires just spun.  found tow hook but no pins, being on a farm I found something that would work as a pin temporarily.   So now i am doubting whether tow hook is right, and I know I definitely need a pin.
Does anyone have pictures, and where to buy these items at?
It was a long day, and didn't like having my own highway through hell episode just outside the front door of my house trying to pull the truck with the tractor.

Tractor didn't like pulling that much and spent a considerable amount of time just spinning on ice.

Time to get correct tools for the job, starting with hooks and pins.

Thanks,

Chuck

Tow pin; wrecking yard or dealer. Get some chains, learn how to put them on when you can't move. Use sand, kitty litter, fireplace ash, anything that can increase the traction. Adapt, improvise, overcome. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Chains mite be a better bet.

Nothing like getting out of a bad situation and unhooking the pulling unit. Get everything out of the way and still stuck.

I finally had to buy a used set for possibly being stuck 100’ from pavement. It was well past time to go south, so I found a set and bought them. Now I have a place for storage of steel things as I carry a welder also.

Now there could be a time when you could just lay the chains on the ground and drive out from a small problem.

Also chains will work when only one driver is available. Or no pulling unit is available.

Just my thought,   Vern

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

Now there could be a time when you could just lay the chains on the ground and drive out from a small problem.

Just my thought,   Vern

I have done this many times, I have even used a tow chain snaked in front of the tire. It works really well if you can start just cant get up a small slope. You can also thry dumping the air and then chaining up the axle without the leveling valve then air up the added wheight will often help especially if its the rear axle that will be off the ground.

A couple of year ago I was stuck, the front tires had sunken and then the ground froze, and it was ice under the farm tractor  so It wouldn't pull.  I put the loader on the truck frame and lifted the tractors front end, it backed right out, make sure the bucket it not going to slide on the truck.

Time for the “jewelry” (tire chains). 
If you are just stuck right there on ice under the tires, and the footing is better immediately, pouring some methanol on the drive tires and being really gentle with the clutch you can rock your way into forward motion, especially if forward is a tiny bit down hill. Dropping the psi in the tires to about 35 or 40 can help a lot to. 

The Big HDT’s don’t put much ground pressure down on the drive tires when they are empty.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

One time at band camp.......... Oh, wrong movie..

in a pinch, run a rope through the holes in the wheels and around the tire to "knit" a chain of sorts.  Not very fancy, but it got me out when I was stuck on a farm with no tow vehicle.

what Darryl said.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here is another way to get unstuck.  If your truck has differential lockers .Take a tow strap. put loop in tow strap between back tires run a bar threw hole in out side wheel threw loop in strap then threw hole in inner wheel (now this will wedge strap down between wheels. most likely ruin strap) Anchor other end of strap  directly behind truck or directly  in front of truck to something solid ie: tree another vehicle that wont move .put truck in gear and let it crawl up the strap . The truck will pull it self out .Pull the tree over or break the strap. once you have done this the strap will most likely have to be cut off it will be jammed between the wheels to the point that you will have to remove the wheel . So best thing to do is to cut strap as short as you can get it. Pull the bar out of the wheel and limp it to the tire shop. This is a extreme thing to do  but a strap is cheaper than hiring a wrecker to winch you out.

Edited by runaway parents

thanks everyone for the word of wisdom,

Yes it looks like it may just be time to get some 'jewelry' for the truck.    Being in South Dakota, and wife still working FT, it means snow is just a  going to be a way of life for a while.  I have cattle as well and this isn't just an RV truck, it still hauls several truckloads of hay, and farm equipment.   So it seems it is time to get a few more items for the truck,  some decent fenders for drive wheels and some good chains for it as well.

Thanks all,

Chuck