Best BANKING institutions for nation-wide Travelers

KyDustBunny

Just joined today and hoping to get some advice on the best BANKS to use while travelling.

A few important notes:

* We hope to do our 1st extensive (2-3 mo) RV Trip this Fall and want to be sure we have access to Cash if/when needed.

* Ideally would prefer a bank that offers some interest on Savings accounts AND makes transferring funds EASY (digitally is fine)

I've recently seen 1.7% or 1.8% APR advertised on savings accounts at Alliant Credit Union and Capital One Savings.  Maybe one of these banks would be recommended?

I've tried to find this info elsewhere on this great big www, but, like many topics, am finding a gushing fire hydrant of info, none of which is exactly the info I'm after.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

When we first started RVing we thought that access to cash would be important, but these days we get the little cash we need from Walmart or grocery stores when we use our debit card to check out. With the spread of AndroidPay and ApplePay as well as the debit card itself I use virtually no cash, anyway.

We do have our primary checking account at Wells Fargo which has branches throughout most of the country and that has occasionally been convenient for other business purposes.  However, I recently opened a CapitalOne 360 checking account and I've been impressed how user-friendly it is. CapitalOne uses standalone ATMs in grocery stores, pharmacies and elsewhere.  They are the kind of ATMs that usually charge fees, but are free for CapitalOne customers.  My CapitalOne account accepts Zelle which is the principal reason I opened it. Zelle is an extremely convenient money transfer system, if you haven't already tried it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We are full time and use Alliant, we are very happy with them. They are an internet bank but the few time we have needed cash(we try to charge everything) we just get out an amount to carry us through many months. Never had any problems at all with them and they understand RVers.

My only negative is I don't like the checks they supply. The checks have a carbon copy and I find it very annoying, have no idea what to do with the carbons so I trash them, just a waste of paper for me.  But then it has taken us 4 years to use up 100 checks.

No problem with ATMs and if you are charged a fee they will reimburse the fee. We have never been charged a fee.

If you belong to a Credit Union where you live *now*......you can continue to use it (if you wish).

Most CUs belong to a national  network.  That allows you to use CUs (and CU ATMs with your '"home" ATM Card) across the US.  Ask your current CU.

You should be able to find a CU (or a CU ATM) on the web during your travels.  Besides getting cash (w/o any fees) - some CU ATMs accept deposits also.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Thanks for the fast info, All !   Interesting to see Capital One and Alliant pop up as recommended!  Maybe I was on the right track, after all.

I've never considered our local credit union as a potential idea, not realizing that the CU's belong to a national network.

It's GREAT to have access to all of your collective experience here!   MUCH appreciated!

If you have military history, USAA is a great bank! We deposit the rare check by taking a photo of it and sending it electronically. We also move our money between accounts electronically. They only have one physical location, San Antonio, but they reimburse ATM fees including those in Europe since their members tend to get stationed all across the globe.  We just bought a car using their wire transfer system. We've been banking with them for years and years and have never found something we couldn't do through them.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

If you have military history, USAA is a great bank! We deposit the rare check by taking a photo of it and sending it electronically. We also move our money between accounts electronically. They only have one physical location, San Antonio, but they reimburse ATM fees including those in Europe since their members tend to get stationed all across the globe.  We just bought a car using their wire transfer system. We've been banking with them for years and years and have never found something we couldn't do through them.

Linda Sand

I'll second this.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We use our credit union as they are part of what's called  "share branching", I look up where we plan to be to see if there are any CU that are part of the network. It does take some planning but has worked out well for us so far.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

18 hours ago, KyDustBunny said:

Maybe I was on the right track, after all.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! It is great having you with us and helping others is exactly what this forum is about.

As you can see from the answers thus far, there are many workable ways to bank while on the road. If your present account has access to a debit card and electronic banking, there is really no need to change from what you have been doing. We went on the road fulltime in 2000 and lived that way for 12 years and now have been back to part-time again but still spend 2 to 5 months at a time in the RV traveling to different places each time. In all of that time, we have never seen any need to change from our original bank and that same bank account. There is value in having a long history with your financial institution so do not rush to change things. Speak with your present banker and discuss your plans with him and I suspect that you will find that there is no need to make changes. One suggestion that I do have is to consider the use of a credit card with a liberal rebate program for the majority of transactions and then pay that card electronically directly from your bank, thus taking advantage of the 1% or more rebate that better cards offer today and keeping your Debit card more secure from problems of electronic theft. I use a card with a 2% refund for the vast majority of what we spend and, like several others, get cash as needed when making a purchase at Walmart, or take my debit card to an ATM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 1/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, docj said:

When we first started RVing we thought that access to cash would be important, but these days we get the little cash we need from Walmart or grocery stores when we use our debit card to check out. With the spread of AndroidPay and ApplePay as well as the debit card itself I use virtually no cash, anyway.

We do have our primary checking account at Wells Fargo which has branches throughout most of the country and that has occasionally been convenient for other business purposes.  However, I recently opened a CapitalOne 360 checking account and I've been impressed how user-friendly it is. CapitalOne uses standalone ATMs in grocery stores, pharmacies and elsewhere.  They are the kind of ATMs that usually charge fees, but are free for CapitalOne customers.  My CapitalOne account accepts Zelle which is the principal reason I opened it. Zelle is an extremely convenient money transfer system, if you haven't already tried it.

Docj I read all the fine print about Zelle, talked it over with my wife and we decided to never use Zelle. If  your money goes missing or to wrong destination, the way i read it, you have no recourse.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I’ve been banking with Wells Fargo for years - I have automatic deposit for pensions and social security.  I have a credit card with them and find that works well for me - Wells Fargo branches are common in a number of places I travel if I need to visit a branch, but for the most part, I use their on-line banking app for paying bills and depositing checks.  I can pay my credit card bill off whenever I want to (like right after putting something on it) through the bank’s app.  It’s convenient and works well for me.  But I do have fees if I use another bank’s ATM for cash - a nice benefit credit unions and some other banks have.  Since I rarely use one, it’s not a big deal.  I usually use plastic and plan on visiting a Wells Fargo branch before I get too low on cash.

17 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

I’ve been banking with Wells Fargo for years - I have automatic deposit for pensions and social security.  I have a credit card with them and find that works well for me - Wells Fargo branches are common in a number of places I travel if I need to visit a branch, but for the most part, I use their on-line banking app for paying bills and depositing checks.  I can pay my credit card bill off whenever I want to (like right after putting something on it) through the bank’s app.  It’s convenient and works well for me.  But I do have fees if I use another bank’s ATM for cash - a nice benefit credit unions and some other banks have.  Since I rarely use one, it’s not a big deal.  I usually use plastic and plan on visiting a Wells Fargo branch before I get too low on cash.

After all the "shady" dealings Wells Fargo was involved in/with -  (Google: " Wells Fargo Account Fraud Scandal")  - they would see me only ONE more time at the door of one of their branches - as I was leaving.... after I closed all my accounts..🙁

Why are Credit Unions better? - " Credit Unions are owned and operated by the people that use them. That's why they're dedicated to the things that really matter to you!"

IF I used Wells Fargo, the Dec 2018 settlement WF agreed to - of $575 mil affecting all 50 states in wake of the Fake Accounts - would REALLY matter to me also!   (But maybe that's just "me")

BTW- I use plastic also (as Kirk indicated),  pay my monthly bill (in full) via auto pay from the CU.  Of course the CU has its own  (Master Card)  plastic available, but without the percentage rebate.

When I (rarely) use a teller at a branch office of the CU, I have NEVER waited  in line.  They always have more tellers available.  Also, ALL the teller and customer assistants must have had prior experience at another institution.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I read all about those shady dealings (my accounts were set up years before the scandal and I did follow the press reports), but I never saw anything like that in all of my years with them. Their service has been much better than a couple of other banks I dealt with before switching to them. 

I don’t doubt that there were some Very unscrupulous people working for the bank, who really cheated a number of innocent customers. But I question how wide-spread it was. It wasn’t evident at the branches I frequent, didn’t affect any of my accounts, and I’ve always had good service with people who were knowledgeable and helpful, including once (years ago) when my debit card was compromised.

I always find it interesting how publicity, both good and bad, can influence our choices and opinions. Since I have had very good experiences with Wells Fargo, I continue to bank with them.  Someone who only knows them from the negative publicity of the scandal will make their choices based on that and never consider opening an account with them.

20 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

I always find it interesting how publicity, both good and bad, can influence our choices and opinions. Since I have had very good experiences with Wells Fargo, I continue to bank with them.

We share that experience. I joined Wells Fargo Advisors when my broker moved to that company since he had always done well by us. We began to bank with them because free checking is a part of the capital investment account that we have. That was back in 1999 when we first joined them and while I too have seen the news reports and even discussed them with my broker, because he continues to grow our accounts at a faster rate then the IRS required annual withdrawal (for us past the age of 71), we see no reason to change. It may be true that some employees of Wells Fargo were caught, does that somehow assure users of other facilities that their bank never does anything wrong, or might it that their bankers have not been caught so continue to do the shady activities? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 1/2/2020 at 11:36 PM, sandsys said:

Linda Sand

3X on USAA.  They've been great to work with

2020 Dutch Star 4328, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Ready Brute Elite Towbar 

4X with USAA. I've been with USAA over 40 yrs with zero issues. I have all my banking and insurance needs with them.

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

not living on the road...yet. but most any bank will do most of what anybody needs.

cash.. buy anything at a food store. get cash back. no charges.

paying a bill.. just pay using your banks on line service.

need hard checks.. no need to use your bank for that as they contract said out to a company where you can buy your checks direct. ( carbon or no carbon. even just one sheet of paper). and printed with choice of design or photo on them.

credit unions have a network, i have not used, but said to be good.

buy using a cc, get protection there.

send cash? most wire systems are money gone so buyer beware there.

just tax reasons have the bank account in your domicile state.

I use Kitsap Credit Union in Washington State. I moved to California 11 years ago and still use them for my main banking needs. I have been in a bank/credit union 2 times in 11 years to get something notarized. All of my transactions are direct deposit, mobile deposit, ATM deposits, and most of my payments I use their bill-pay.  ATM fees are also refunded at the end of the month. 3% interest on the first 15K in mine and my wife's checking accounts brings in $75 month for the last year. Why not that is a safe investment?

I also signed up for Alliant CU 7 years ago when I financed my first 5th wheel. Best rate I could get. Kept the account and use a CC from them. I have Alliant and my main Credit union linked. Perfect! for me.

I can use USAA but I will only be as loyal as they are. Just because I've been with the same bank for 40 years doesn't mean I would keep them. USAA has always quoted me higher insurance rates than Geico and Progressive. USAA used to be good for $750 off of a new GM vehicle but I think that is gone now.

Use whoever treats you right and does not charge any fees. I don't want to have to work the system to avoid fees. I want it to be seamless and transparent. Another reason why credit unions are a good choice.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

We just use our local bank in our hometown. We do all our banking and bill paying on line so  we have little use for a physical bank. Cash is easy to get most anywhere.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.