RVer Insurance Exchange Health Insurance?

You may want to try contacting one of these commercial members of Escapees to see what they can offer.

RV Insurance Benefits (CM#926)
2885 Goat Creed Road #224
Kerrville , TX 78028

A health insurance agency specializing in a variety of plans for those living the RV lifestyle.

817-487-2111
888-337-1705
coleen@rvinsurancebenefits.com
www.insurancebenefits.com

Heinrich Associates (CM#279)
108 Coreopsis Way
Georgetown, TX 78633

Insurance for Health, Life, Long-term Care and Medicare Supplements.
512-535-6415
866-558-3577
escapees@heinrichassociates.com
www.heinrichassociates.com
Farmers Ins. Group/Benny Fogleman, Agent (CM#914)
2410 US HWY 190 W STE C
LIVINGSTON, TX 77351

Specializing in Escapees insurance needs for fulltimers.
(936) 967-2020
bfogleman@farmersagent.com
www.farmers.com

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Greenman said:

I guess I didn't realize that off-exchange was an option.  I will look into that.  Either way, it sounds like a PPO is what I need to look for though.  Right?  (Sorry for my lack of knowledge...Up until this point in my life, I just accepted whatever the school district I worked for offered us that year without question.)

If you're going to be traveling, you want a PPO (or EPO) with a nationwide network, if you want to be covered while you're away from your domicile.  It's the nationwide network that's tricky.  There are plans that are PPOs, but the network is only local, and there's no way to tell just by looking at them.  So be sure to hammer on the nationwide network.  (But remember that the indemnity plans tout that they're valid nationwide, and you can go to whatever doctor you want.  The devil is in the details.)

There are "local" plans on the exchange in Austin--Oscar and Ambetter--where there won't be any in-network doctors outside the immediate area.  Or actually, I wonder about Ambetter, since they offer insurance in several states.  I don't know if a Texas Ambetter policy would allow access to Ambetter in-network doctors in a different state, though.  If it does, and you're sure you'll be visiting only those states, it could be an option.  But I'd get it in writing.

However, that's Austin, and I'm using it only as an example.  As far as I know, the exchange doesn't have any PPO plans in Livingston.  That's why I'm curious if anybody knows anything about off-exchange insurance plans--whether there are any in Texas that offer a PPO plan with a nationwide network.  If a person isn't going to use a subsidy, it could be a good choice--if it exists.

Like I said, the path of least resistance is often a Florida domicile, and a PPO plan from Florida Blue. 

To get completely up to speed, you might want to look at previous threads about health insurance for fulltimers.  I'm pretty sure I've participated in all of them, so you could just look for my posts, and find the insurance threads among those.

You may want to try contacting one of these commercial members of Escapees to see what they can offer.

I don't know where you got those listings, but...

In the first one, the website www.insurancebenefits.com redirects to domainmarket.com, offering that domain for $149,888.

In the second one, on the website www.heinrichassociates.com, if you click on "Individual Medical," it goes to a page that has a link to get quotes, compare plans, and apply online.  But when you click on it, it goes to a nonexistent page.

The third is Farmers.  Do they do health insurance?

10 hours ago, Blues said:

I don't know where you got those listings, but...

They came from the commercial member directory. It would seem that first one has dropped his website. As to Farmers, some agents offer health insurance but I don't know about all of them. The one we deal with does so. 

EDIT: I just reported the broken link in the directory.

Edited by Kirk W

On 2/25/2020 at 12:38 PM, Greenman said:

I guess I didn't realize that off-exchange was an option.  I will look into that.  Either way, it sounds like a PPO is what I need to look for though.  Right?  (Sorry for my lack of knowledge...Up until this point in my life, I just accepted whatever the school district I worked for offered us that year without question.)

Careful. Not all PPO plans offer nationwide networks. Some are in-state only.

FYI, TX is probably one of the worst states for health insurance, and Polk County (Escapees's ground zero) is one of the worst counties in TX for health. However, its ranking has improved in recent years -- now 208th out of 244 ranked TX counties. Zow.

From my research, there are at least several states that currently have nationwide PPO health care networks: AK, AL, AR, CA, FL, and WY. AK, FL, and WY all have no states taxes.

If you have more than a year or two before Medicare kicks in, get outta TX.

Also, Escapees would not be my first choice for anything related to health care because . . .

• Broken web site links
  • The indemnity plans spotted by Blues
  • The failure by Escapees to look anywhere beyond SD, FL, and TX for health insurance

Finally, while Christian health share ministries are an "affordable" option, I don't suggest them because the horror stories are starting to come in.

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

4 hours ago, Zulu said:

AK, FL, and WY all have no states taxes.

From Investopedia....

Most states have sales tax to help generate revenue for its operations - but five states currently have no sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.Jan 22, 2020

As of 2019, seven states—Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming—levy no personal income tax. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee don’t tax wages. 

• 4 weeks later...

I recognize I am late to this discussion.  There is another way with a nationwide PPO which is perfect for RV'ers.  It is a major medical plan but still falls outside the ACA.  I am willing to share all the details if you are interested.

Mike Gibble
Health Insurance Agent: MD, PA, VA, NC, OH, MI
Gibble Health & Health Insurance
Cell: 202-441-6963

Email: Mike.Gibble@gmail.com

Follow Me at: https://www.facebook.com/gibblehealthandhealthinsurance/

6 hours ago, Mike.gibble said:

I am willing to share all the details if you are interested.

Why wouldn't people be interested?  Of course they're more interested in plans on the exchange for which a subsidy might be available, but for those who don't qualify for a subsidy, the existence of any plan would be useful information.

6 hours ago, Mike.gibble said:

I recognize I am late to this discussion.  There is another way with a nationwide PPO which is perfect for RV'ers.  It is a major medical plan but still falls outside the ACA.  I am willing to share all the details if you are interested.

My wife and I did finally break down and sign up for her employer offered insurance plan that is crazy expensive.  We just couldn't stomach being without any longer.  

However, I am still interested in learning about other options and would love to hear some info from you.

Thanks Mike!

15 hours ago, Blues said:

Not sure what you mean by a "spam generator."  From what I can tell, he's in the insurance business.

Exactly. And if we were to contact him would he give you information, or try to sell insurance? It is a very fine line sometimes. The fact that he has not posted again or any way of contacting him tends to lessen that suspicion, but unless he comes back we will never really know. It does make me wonder??? As one of those charged with removing spam, I always look closely as such posts but I can assure you that Mike has not been blocked and could return to contribute at any time. 

Sorry y'all.  I haven't checked this since a few days ago.  I'm not a spam generator but a licensed health insurance agent for both group and individual insurance.  My full name is Mike Gibble.  You can check out my business page on Facebook @gibblehealthandhealthinsurance.  I don't know if providing my cell number to help people out is ok or not on this site.  I'm new to posting on these forums.  Simply interested in helping people out.  If I can't help, I know agents throughout the country who can...

Edited by Mike.gibble

Mike Gibble

Welcome back Mike!  Since you are in the business, what I would suggest is that you add a signature line that includes a link to your Facebook or web site. Having someone with a sound and current knowledge of insurance is always a good thing and we are happy to have you here. While advertising is forbidden, putting such into a signature like is find whether it is a personal site as in mine of a business site like some of us have. 

Ok Kirk.  Thanks for the advice.  As I said I am new and trying to figure this out.  I've added my facebook page to my profile but do have an agent website and business website.  I'll try to figure out how to add them to my profile later today or tomorrow morning.  This quarantine situation has me very busy trying to keep my kids entertained during non-typical business hours.  Haha

Mike Gibble

On 3/20/2020 at 8:00 AM, Mike.gibble said:

There is another way with a nationwide PPO which is perfect for RV'ers.  It is a major medical plan but still falls outside the ACA.  I am willing to share all the details if you are interested.

So what is the major medical plan with a nationwide network that you're referring to?  All the details would be really nice to have.  Even using the Exchange, it can be hard to figure out a given plan's network, never mind subtleties, so it's invaluable when people post, for example, that Florida Blue has worked for them nationwide for routine care with no hassles.

The nationwide network is on the Cigna PPO.  There is a suit of customizable plans that will cover everything or can be limited depending on how the specific person or family wants to build the coverage and on their budget.  There is guaranteed approval coverage as well as underwritten coverage from a health perspective that can save more money on a major medical package.

Mike Gibble

14 hours ago, Zulu said:

Is it based out of particular state(s)?

The plans are offered to residents in 35 different states but the PPO is available nationwide.  I tried to enter my contact information under my profile "about me" section if anyone is interested in reaching out to my personal cell phone to explore more.  I am always open to analyzing a person or family's health insurance situation to see if we can work out better options whether it is with me or others.  I always try to recommend the most appropriate way forward.

Mike Gibble

On 3/20/2020 at 8:00 AM, Mike.gibble said:

There is another way with a nationwide PPO which is perfect for RV'ers.  It is a major medical plan but still falls outside the ACA.  I am willing to share all the details if you are interested.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:05 AM, Mike.gibble said:

The insurance company is the US Health Group, a United Healthcare Company

I went to the website for US Health Group.  On the first page, it says, "Apply anytime of the year."  My understanding is that major medical plans (what most of us consider to be "health insurance") are available only during open enrollment or if a person qualifies for a special enrollment period.  Enrollment any time of the year is usually a hint that a plan is not major medical, and is probably short-term insurance or an indemnity plan or somesuch.

So I dug some more, trying to find a major medical plan.  I couldn't.  There are three that look like health insurance:  "PremierChoice," "SecureAdvantage," and "HealthAccess."  But all of them are called "Specified Disease/Sickness Plans" (without any indication of which diseases will be covered), and state that they are not "traditional major medical plans" (in footnote 2 of each plan's description). 

Where can we get information on the major medical plan with a nationwide PPO network that US Health Group offers?

7 hours ago, Mike.gibble said:

I tried to enter my contact information under my profile "about me" section if anyone is interested in reaching out to my personal cell phone to explore more. 

If you look to the upper, right hand corner of the window of the Escapee header you will see your name and a down arrow. If you click on that down arrow a menu will open, click on account settings there and another window will open down the left side with a series of choices. Go there and click on signature and you can set up a signature your signature which will show at the bottom of each post that you make. You can make a link there to you website or one or an email to you, or pretty much anything you wish to put there, within reason. 

2 hours ago, Blues said:

I went to the website for US Health Group.  On the first page, it says, "Apply anytime of the year."  My understanding is that major medical plans (what most of us consider to be "health insurance") are available only during open enrollment or if a person qualifies for a special enrollment period.  Enrollment any time of the year is usually a hint that a plan is not major medical, and is probably short-term insurance or an indemnity plan or somesuch.

So I dug some more, trying to find a major medical plan.  I couldn't.  There are three that look like health insurance:  "PremierChoice," "SecureAdvantage," and "HealthAccess."  But all of them are called "Specified Disease/Sickness Plans" (without any indication of which diseases will be covered), and state that they are not "traditional major medical plans" (in footnote 2 of each plan's description). 

Where can we get information on the major medical plan with a nationwide PPO network that US Health Group offers?

Blues; you are correct in your analysis.  These are major medical type coverage.  The coverage is a hybrid of major medical, meaning 80%/20% with a $5,000 deductible for catastrophic instances but have fixed indemnity benefits for annual screenings or physicals.  The reason the plans are outside the ACA is that they do not cover maternity or mental/emotional disorders and are underwritten from a health perspective.  Again, these plans are all on the Cigna Nationwide PPO.

Mike Gibble