start batteries

jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

These were discussed a couple years ago on the HDT section.  I believe there are designed to be used in place of one of the regular battery bank, with the rest of the bank remaining as lead/acid.  But, I've slept since then.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

These were discussed a couple years ago on the HDT section.  I believe there are designed to be used in place of one of the regular battery bank, with the rest of the bank remaining as lead/acid.  But, I've slept since then.

Thanks, just read the fine print. Not such a great deal if you stlll have to keep two LA batteries.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

True, but I can see where trucking companies would like them.  They're lighter, and can throw a LOT of juice out instantly, so no slow cranking.  Hit it and even if it doesn't fire, in a few minutes, it's loaded for another shot.

Interestingly, Tesla just bought the largest producer of these.  Think of the acceleration possible w/ AWD.  Make a pass down the strip and by the time you get back to the line, they're ready for another run.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Maxwell does make the 2 post GSS modules for industrial generators and stuff.  These don't have the internal 12V charger so you don't need the battery with it if you don't want to go that way.  The one they showed me was hooked to a 120V LaMarche, but I'm sure a 48V input one could be figured out.  The caps bleed their power over a day so the charger is going to be a constant suck on the 48V battery, so a guy would probably have to manually manage that.