Soot on water heater exhaust.

chief916

I have a Dometic 6 gal water heater on my 2019 Grand design Imagine that we used over the Christmas holidays.  When we broke camp while doing my prelaunch walk around, I noticed black soot all over the exhaust vent on the water heater and soot on the siding as well.  Yes we used it several times but for the most part we just used the electric hot water feature.

When I got home, I dug out all the info that came with the appliance that was with the TT when we purchased it 5 months ago.  There was nothing in any of the paperwork that discussed this issue.

Perchance could anybody have experienced the same thing and if so what was the cause and how did you correct it.

Thanks in advance.

Ben "chief916" 

You will find the service manual for your Dometic/ATwood water heater here: http://bryantrv.com/docs.html. It will show you how to disassemble the burner assembly, clean everything, then re-assemble and adjust the burner flame.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, hiljoball said:

soot is usually caused by an incorrect air/gas mix - usually insufficient air.

There should be an aadjustable slider on the gas line to admit the air - or you may have a spider or wasp nest blocking the airflow.

John

Thank you Sir.  This will be of help.

Helping is what it's all about!

1 hour ago, chief916 said:

Wow...lots of good stuff here.  Thank you Ray.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, hiljoball said:

soot is usually caused by an incorrect air/gas mix - usually insufficient air.

As those previous replies have said, the soot is from air/gas mixture not burning completely. In most cases a through cleaning will resolve the problem. Not all of the air mixtures are adjustable so do the cleaning first. 

71y9YyAUE5L._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg   71R3cN-ZJDL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

The first picture is of the Atwood burner which is adjustable. The second is of a Suburban burner tube and it is not. If yours is Dometic it should be the Atwood as Dometic bought them several years ago. Note the screw on the side away from us along with the sliding tube with slots in it. Both types are easily removable but use care to put them back in the previous location. While you have it out, use a vacuum to suction the burner area as well. 

atwood-hotwater-heater.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

As those previous replies have said, the soot is from air/gas mixture not burning completely. In most cases a through cleaning will resolve the problem. Not all of the air mixtures are adjustable so do the cleaning first. 

71y9YyAUE5L._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg   71R3cN-ZJDL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

The first picture is of the Atwood burner which is adjustable. The second is of a Suburban burner tube and it is not. If yours is Dometic it should be the Atwood as Dometic bought them several years ago. Note the screw on the side away from us along with the sliding tube with slots in it. Both types are easily removable but use care to put them back in the previous location. While you have it out, use a vacuum to suction the burner area as well. 

atwood-hotwater-heater.jpg

Thanks Kirk....this pix is what my water heater looks like.  Now all I have to do is vacuum and lean out the air.  Thanks to all of you guys.

Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year.

Spiders are attracted to the odor in LP gas and will build a nest in the mixing tube and orifice. When you clean these, do not use hard metal as it can scratch or mar the surfaces, which disrupts the fuel flow and burners flame size and shape.

Edited by Ray,IN

On 12/31/2019 at 7:14 PM, Ray,IN said:

Spiders are attracted to the odor in LP gas and will build a nest in the mixing tube and orifice. When you clean these, do not use hard metal as it can scratch or mar the surfaces, which disrupts the fuel flow and burners flame size and shape.

22 hours ago, raylen said:

had the same problem and found mixer tube plugged with spider or wasp nest. cleaned it out no more problem

Yeah....update on soot problem....cleaned the flame tube and found maybe 6 to 8 roasted stinkbugs in the burner tube.  Reassembled everything and beautiful blue flame.

I want to tell all of you thank you so much for your help.

Thanks again

Ben