Jump to content

Soot on water heater exhaust.


chief916
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a Dometic 6 gal water heater on my 2019 Grand design Imagine that we used over the Christmas holidays.  When we broke camp while doing my prelaunch walk around, I noticed black soot all over the exhaust vent on the water heater and soot on the siding as well.  Yes we used it several times but for the most part we just used the electric hot water feature.

When I got home, I dug out all the info that came with the appliance that was with the TT when we purchased it 5 months ago.  There was nothing in any of the paperwork that discussed this issue.

Perchance could anybody have experienced the same thing and if so what was the cause and how did you correct it.

Thanks in advance.

Ben "chief916" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hiljoball said:

soot is usually caused by an incorrect air/gas mix - usually insufficient air.

There should be an aadjustable slider on the gas line to admit the air - or you may have a spider or wasp nest blocking the airflow.

John

Thank you Sir.  This will be of help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hiljoball said:

soot is usually caused by an incorrect air/gas mix - usually insufficient air.

As those previous replies have said, the soot is from air/gas mixture not burning completely. In most cases a through cleaning will resolve the problem. Not all of the air mixtures are adjustable so do the cleaning first. 

71y9YyAUE5L._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg   71R3cN-ZJDL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

The first picture is of the Atwood burner which is adjustable. The second is of a Suburban burner tube and it is not. If yours is Dometic it should be the Atwood as Dometic bought them several years ago. Note the screw on the side away from us along with the sliding tube with slots in it. Both types are easily removable but use care to put them back in the previous location. While you have it out, use a vacuum to suction the burner area as well. 

atwood-hotwater-heater.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

As those previous replies have said, the soot is from air/gas mixture not burning completely. In most cases a through cleaning will resolve the problem. Not all of the air mixtures are adjustable so do the cleaning first. 

71y9YyAUE5L._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg   71R3cN-ZJDL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

The first picture is of the Atwood burner which is adjustable. The second is of a Suburban burner tube and it is not. If yours is Dometic it should be the Atwood as Dometic bought them several years ago. Note the screw on the side away from us along with the sliding tube with slots in it. Both types are easily removable but use care to put them back in the previous location. While you have it out, use a vacuum to suction the burner area as well. 

atwood-hotwater-heater.jpg

Thanks Kirk....this pix is what my water heater looks like.  Now all I have to do is vacuum and lean out the air.  Thanks to all of you guys.

Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spiders are attracted to the odor in LP gas and will build a nest in the mixing tube and orifice. When you clean these, do not use hard metal as it can scratch or mar the surfaces, which disrupts the fuel flow and burners flame size and shape.

Edited by Ray,IN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2019 at 7:14 PM, Ray,IN said:

Spiders are attracted to the odor in LP gas and will build a nest in the mixing tube and orifice. When you clean these, do not use hard metal as it can scratch or mar the surfaces, which disrupts the fuel flow and burners flame size and shape.

 

22 hours ago, raylen said:

had the same problem and found mixer tube plugged with spider or wasp nest. cleaned it out no more problem

Yeah....update on soot problem....cleaned the flame tube and found maybe 6 to 8 roasted stinkbugs in the burner tube.  Reassembled everything and beautiful blue flame.

I want to tell all of you thank you so much for your help.

Thanks again

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...