OT: Putting a tube in a small tire. Secrets?

SuiteSuccess

Okay smart folks, need some tricks.  I have a 3 point finish mower I pull behind my tractor with the small tires 4.10/3.30 tubeless.  One tire won’t stay seated and continually leaks air so put a tube in it.  Got tire off the rim okay, got tube in and stem positioned but cannot got the top bead over the rim even with three screwdrivers and lubricating the rim and bead. Tried for hour and a half.  Anybody have a trick to finish the mount?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Small tires suck.  I fought that for hours one day putting tubes in my pressure washer, same size as you mention.   I'd much rather change truck tires, or 6' tall tractor tires.

I put a bar or pipe vertically in a vise and dropped the rim over it so I could work standing up.  Then clamp a small vice grip pliers to the edge of the rim so the tire doesn't just keep "running away", and work the tire irons (screw drivers) around.  If you can find tire irons for motorcycles, you're much less likely to put a hole in a tube.  Been there........ 

When all this fails and the tires still leak, get them foam filled.  Expensive and worth every penny.

Good luck.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Small tires suck.  I fought that for hours one day putting tubes in my pressure washer, same size as you mention.   I'd much rather change truck tires, or 6' tall tractor tires.

I put a bar or pipe vertically in a vise and dropped the rim over it so I could work standing up.  Then clamp a small vice grip pliers to the edge of the rim so the tire doesn't just keep "running away", and work the tire irons (screw drivers) around.  If you can find tire irons for motorcycles, you're much less likely to put a hole in a tube.  Been there........ 

When all this fails and the tires still leak, get them foam filled.  Expensive and worth every penny.

Good luck.

I was hoping my old farmer buddy would share his tricks😊.  Thanks Rick.  P.S.  I even tried C-clamps to keep it compressed but that didn’t work.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I'm serious about foam filling.  Just do it.  Your local tire shop can recommend where to get it done.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It helps to refresh your list of curse words. If you know any in another language, they'll definitely speed things up. Use motorcycle tire irons, or something smooth like them. Nothing worse than airing up a new tube and finding a bigger hole than the one you're replacing. Don't ask how that feels. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

They are testy little begers arn't they!  If you have a vice, put the axle bolt in the rim and through to the vice. Lotsa lube on tire and rim. The trick is to place the bead of the tire in as deep into center of the rim and then roll the opposite side of the bead over the the rim.  Sounds real easy but u have to apply cuss words liberaly.  The first bead slips in easily but the next bead is the hard one.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

1 hour ago, orca said:

They are testy little begers arn't they!  If you have a vice, put the axle bolt in the rim and through to the vice. Lotsa lube on tire and rim. The trick is to place the bead of the tire in as deep into center of the rim and then roll the opposite side of the bead over the the rim.  Sounds real easy but u have to apply cuss words liberaly.  The first bead slips in easily but the next bead is the hard one.

Yep, exactly what I dealt with for 1 1/2 hours.  Not sure some of the words were even English.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Yep, exactly what I dealt with for 1 1/2 hours.  Not sure some of the words were even English.

I'll see your hour and a half, and raise you most of the day. Replaced the wheels on the diamond harrow drawbar. Most of the day, either humped over a wheel hub or wrestling on the bench. The vise holding a tire iron is a good tip, but I think I had everything in the vise at 1 point or another. Straight dish soap for lube was put into play too. It cleans up your hands nicely. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ditch the tubes.

Go the the local big box store and get you a can of Great Stuff Foam. Look on you tube "foam filled tires".

I've had all four tires on my finishing mower filled for over 2 years.

Really works...........

Edited by Rick

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

So far I have had luck just plugging the small tractor tires.

If the leak is at the rim, I break down the bead sand the rim and tire bead smooth add some green slime and air back up

I do want to try the foam idea though.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I'm serious about foam filling.  Just do it.  Your local tire shop can recommend where to get it done.

2X on foam filling. I'll never have a flat again. You might get a deal on doing 4 tires. I'm thinking your finish mower has 4 tires.

Remember to work smarter not harder. Let someone else do the work.  lol.

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Thanks guys.  Used lots of soap, vice grips and didn’t have to even use any curse words.  Tire went on in 5 minutes.  You guys are just too smart👍.  Next step will be foam if anymore leaks.  Watched YouTube on doing it yourself.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

X3 on the foam fill - had the front tires on our Kubota filled for several years & no worries. Word of caution - the small tires weigh well over 100# each. Just sayin'

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I'm a little late to the party, yearssss ago I walked into the shop at one of my jobs, it was full of blue words the mechanic looked at me and said ok tire expert I have worked all day on this loader tire, you do it. 5 minutes with the voice grips and it was on. I also use dish soap it wont hurt the rubber like oil can. I also like to powder the inside of the tire and the rim for tubes. Some times I air up the tube and sometimes I don't. It depends on whether I think it will fall between the tire and the rim. Putting the rim in the vice helps a lot even if you have to use a bolt through the hub with a nut to tighten it down.