Heating a tiny van

will-t

(Note: I originally posted this in the Boondocking forum, which I'm now informed was not the right place for the question.)

I've converted a RAM Promaster City van into the moral equivalent of a "self-propelled teardrop trailer". In other words, it is tiny inside. The total interior space amounts to about 170 cubic feet (4'x5'x8.5').

I am interested in adding a small heater. I've insulated the vehicle very well, and with so little cubic footage -- and considering the body-heat output of two sleepers -- the BTU requirement should be very minimal.

At the same time, a heater would have to be zero-emission in such a small space. So I am looking for something that uses electric power. (Which is OK - the rig is wired for shore power, and in cold weather I won't be overnighting in places where there is no shore power available.)

Moreover, the bed platform sits about 16" above the van floor, and covers nearly all the available square footage (apart from the driver/passenger cabin), meaning the heater would have to sit beneath it, in effect enclosing the heater in an even smaller space.  Thus, a tiny form-factor and fail-safe against overheating are both requirements.

Does anyone know of a product that would fit the bill?

http://westyventures.com/propex.html

You're correct to only want vented to outside. The folks above do a good specialty heater in several models when you can get one.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, will-t said:

Moreover, the bed platform sits about 16" above the van floor, and covers nearly all the available square footage (apart from the driver/passenger cabin), meaning the heater would have to sit beneath it

You might put it in the cab area, maybe between the seats?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

6 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Looks like a good choice!

Not much $ "at risk" to give it a try.

It would seem the occupants of said van are likely relatively young, to tolerate such a small space.  Makes me wonder why they would need supplemental heat.😮

Seriously, an electric blanket might be a good solution.  If the van is well insulated as stated above, it could be enough.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

42 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Seriously, an electric blanket might be a good solution.  If the van is well insulated as stated above, it could be enough.

The 12V blanket would be good.......lots of choices on Amazon - reasonable $.

There are several brands of (110V) electric "throws" - 115 watts, 3 heat settings. - - On the "high" setting after about 10 minutes on top of your blanket/s - you are *really* ready to turn it to a lower setting!! - -  IIRC - ours came from Wally at about $30.

~

We have an electric blanket in the camper cuz when you've been traveling in low temps, the bed gets cold.  It sucks the heat out of your body when you first get in.  So, part of our set-up routine is to turn on the blanket, so that by the time we go to bed it's not so cold.  But then, we're old.

First post says they'll always have shore power, so it would seem logical..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net