Small Diesel Towing...Beating up the engine?

rbertalotto

Quick question......Been watching a few videos on the RAM 1500 with 3.0 ECO DIESEL and Ford with the small POWER STROKE

Both of these trucks get 25-30 mpg when not towing

When towing 7000 pound trailer they get 11-13 MPG as witnessed by a number of testing videos on youtube

It seems to me these engines are blowing their brains out towing. Going up hills they are doing upwards of 3500 RPM

Huge difference in fuel consumption......

In comparison, My 2006 RAM 2500 with 5.9 Diesel would get 18mpg non-towing and 13mpg towing.....And my new RAM 2500 with 6.4L Hemi gas motors does 18mpg non-towing and 11 mpg towing (both towing same trailer @ 7000 pounds)

What say you.....Will these little diesels last with that type of use?

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Since my 2003,Dodge/Cummins is paid for and running strong, I doubt I'll be buying one of them anytime soon but I have read some interesting reviews. From Motor Trend....

2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Review:

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My 2006 has been paid for for a long time now and I'm definitely not interested in a new truck.  It has 205,000 on the ODO and is still going strong.  Yes, some normal wear and tear items have been replaced, but all is good and a lot cheaper to maintain than buy a new one for $60,000+.  I get 12 mpg =/- 0.5 towing my 5th wheel and 19'ish non-towing.  It was exactly the same when it was brand new.

Happy Fulltimer here and Merry Christmas to all here.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

It is logical to assume ANY reciprocating engine will wear out faster when  operating at maximum capacity vs lighter usage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've watched these ever since they came on the market. My opinion then and still now is that they are for somebody who thinks they need a diesel but it will always be a grocery-getter and day tripping pickup. If you want a diesel for towing put "your big boy pants on". It will be interesting to see if in the future these small diesels will have the longevity of the old Datsun and VW diesels.  

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I don't think that there is a truck with that engine, is there?

I guess it depends on your definition of truck. 3.0 liter diesel, 15,250 GVW, with up to 5,000 lbs. tow capacity. Seems to be in the general vicinity for comparison purposes. Seems to me the question was about the longevity of smaller diesel engines, so not sure how relevant the truck part is. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

Will they last?  - Only time will tell...

'05 Dodge (Ram  1T 5.9 CTD here) .  *If* I were to buy a new pickup, no matter which brand - it would be a gasser - no def (& related system) req'd - or desired!

*If *I wanted a heavier 5th than I have now - AND  I thought the large displacement gas engines weren't capable (or I needed a dually) - - I would bite the def bullet, BUT you would find me on the HDT forum!

~

On 12/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, bobsallyh said:

I've watched these ever since they came on the market. My opinion then and still now is that they are for somebody who thinks they need a diesel but it will always be a grocery-getter and day tripping pickup. If you want a diesel for towing put "your big boy pants on". It will be interesting to see if in the future these small diesels will have the longevity of the old Datsun and VW diesels.  

And we all know where that line of logic leads.🤣

Seriously, no one class of truck, or fuel type for that matter, will be best for all.  I'm glad we have choices.  I have a F-150 for my work/ play truck.  It has the Eco-Boost, and it fits my needs perfectly.  But it also cost over double what I paid for the HDT, which only gets around 5k mi/per year.

Compromises.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

IMHO a small diesel will take more "abuse" than a gasser of comparable size/displacement, it will for positive have way more torque than gas. I believe the biggest draw back is the up-charge for the diesel compared to the gas, hard to justify the extra cost initially AND the higher cost of diesel fuel.  

I just LOVE my Cummins Turbo 6.7!  The power and the torque are all I could ask for.

Dan   

LDSP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yup.  Some things goes for diesels in motorhomes.  We have a 12 liter Caterpillar diesel and we get about 7-8mpg.  Several of our RV friends have smaller lighter rigs with smaller motors.  They get about the same mpg as we do.  One of our friends has a much smaller class A with a 5.9 and that gets a bit better mpg.  We have one friend who has a 40' (ours is 42') and the motor is too small.  His miles per gallon are the same as ours and he overheats on long uphills.  

You have to work smaller motors so hard they don't save fuel.  

Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity 42' tag
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Airdale Terrier

Any loaded engine will be most efficient at it's peak torque RPM.  If you have to run it faster than that to make enough power it's wasting fuel.

The only exception is a lightly loaded gas engine because of the throttle valve restriction on the air intake.  In this case, running it slower than the peak torque speed when the throttle is mostly closed may deliver better mileage because the engine isn't sucking as hard (and wasting power) to get air past the throttle plate.

But on a diesel engine or on a heavily loaded gas engine, the most efficient operating speed will be around the torque peak.

Edited by Lou Schneider