Differential temps

blenderbender

Hi folks..... newbie RV'er, first post. Just took possession of a 1999 Coachman Miranda that has just over 21,000 miles on it. It's in really good condition as far as I can tell. The only issue is that it's been sitting for over  year without moving. I've put on only 100 miles since purchasing. The only thing I'm noticing is a slight ominous sound, vibration, coming from the rear of the vehicle only around 40-45 mph. Kind of sounds like a drive-line issue of some sort. Differential is full and no signs of leaking. After a 15 mile ride at 50 mph, the differential is quite warm to the touch. I can't leave my hand on it for more than 6-8 seconds. I'm going to pull out my laser digital thermometer and start monitoring differential temps. My question is what is the normal differential temp of a vehicle of this sort? Thanks in advance! I have a 1,500 mile trip back to Pennsylvania in the morning.

The vibration could be from tires that have sat for a year in the same position, or a U-joint.  I would highly doubt a differential issue.  Average temps are from 125* and up 225-250* depending on load and speed.  I would assume that the load is heavy compared to an empty truck chassis.  When I was pulling with a Dodge dually I could see 225-230 climbing some of the steeper mountains.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Have you checked the age of the tires? They will get weak from old age long before they are worn out and with that few miles yours may be the original ones put on. I strongly recommend that you check the DOT code dates on all of your tires before you start such a long trip at highway speeds.  If they are more than 7 years old they may fail soon.

Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg

This example (LMLR5107) the tire was manufactured in the 51st week of 2007.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI