Which hitch

Danandfreda

Hi everybody merry Christmas. Looking for some opinions on the good and not so good of each hitch. I see a lot of Henry’s ET hitches our there which might be the best choice but was also considering comfort ride. Can I get some personal opinions on what you have. Not looking to start a mines better than yours arguement just some user opinions. The biggest thing on comfort ride I see is the 30000 lb weight rating. That won’t be a problem now but with next trailer not sure exactly what a 42ft spacecraft or new horizon will weigh. Thanks for all you comments and have a good holiday. 

Good idea to plan ahead for bigger and heavier trailers, Dan. In our opinion, any hitch running a factory Binkley head should be placed very low on the list, if not eliminated. The aftermarket heads have addressed the weaknesses in the factory hitch's lubrication and support system. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Dan I use a Hensley TS3 for the road tractor when I haul the toy hauler, rating is I believe 20 or 24k.  I use the Hensley Arrow on the f350 to haul my TT. Witch is a lot less weight rating.

I first used the Anderson super hitch when I first started out.  It was fairly economical,  very light weight and very strong.  This hitch was ok for local jonts but when we did a couple cross country it beat the hell outta of us and the trailer.  At the time the TS3 came about I remember hearing about the Henry's ET hitches and I don't know anything about them.  The TS3 has served us well. 

Best of luck on your hitch hunt and have a Merry Christmas.

Ben "Chief 916"

Well Dan, it seems you're not skimping on the truck or trailer, so my vote would be step up and get the ET.  Not that the others are bad, just that the ET's a step, or two, ahead.

I've seen a lot of Binkleys with wear issues.  When ours gets shaky, I'll get an ET Jr.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Many folks have seen the effort Henry went to regarding durability.     I don't think any of the other hitches have that level of refinement, not to mention the support.      While the ET Hitch is no longer Henry's baby the solid engineering and, overall strength of the product would make it my first and only choice.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Our ET has a 32000# weight limit and an 8500# pin weight limit. Our pin weight varies based on what we have in the garage of the Toyhauler and with a Comfort Ride you have to add or remove air cells to adjust for pin weight. The ET does it automatically. Also the ET SR. comes with it's own mounting plate. The JR can be installed on your existing plate if you have one. I also have a picture of a failed Comfort Ride hitch head so they do kinda scare me on their ratings.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

16 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

I understand the ET will be available in the near future with an “enhancement” that will allow you to “change out” the airbags to increase capacity without “swapping” out the complete hitch.

Yes that is true. You will be able to upgrade all the way to a 9/38K, and maybe to a 10/40.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The ET also has had a number of enhancements in the last year. Including an upward dampener to reduce any oscillation that "could" occur on an unbalanced trailer (too light a pin weight and axles too far forward). Also, a longer release arm is now available, if required. There have been a number of technical improvements that make manufacturing easier and more precise. 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

20 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

The ET also has had a number of enhancements in the last year. Including an upward dampener to reduce any oscillation that "could" occur on an unbalanced trailer (too light a pin weight and axles too far forward). Also, a longer release arm is now available, if required. There have been a number of technical improvements that make manufacturing easier and more precise. 

Can the new enhancements be done to ones say bought in the last few years? Just planning ahead

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

1 hour ago, dblr said:

Can the new enhancements be done to ones say bought in the last few years? Just planning ahead

The extended arm can be put on, but the rest would require an extensive rebuild. For those that have older Binkely heads and other items they wish to replace there is a swap-out program where your get an entire new hitch. But you don't want to do that unless you are having issues, since it is not particularly cheap. We can do the work in our shop.

www.jackdanmayer.com

On 12/23/2019 at 11:15 AM, Jack Mayer said:

Jack, do you have a picture of the extended arm and how much is the extension or total arm length? With the new Pin box we got from RVH, I could probably use an extension as it has a larger base plate than our original pin box and is hard for me to attach our releasing arm.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I'm still around and kicking and happy to talk to you guys. For those who would like a comprehensive engineering "white paper" on hitches and why you need one in your HDT send me an email. Young's Welding who build the ETs now are doing a fantastic job and as Jack said incorporated all of the improvements I have been working on. Jack, whose company is 30 miles away from Young's, knows all the tricks and "secrets" of ETs.

mYbaL51l.jpg

SCoAaKJl.jpg

Edited by phoenix2013