Batteries are heavy

Zulu

My 600 amp/hours of LI will take a 1C charge, meaning in theory 600 amps. Not very practical though. But if I use 150 a/h's overnight, and I have good sun, I can bring the batteries to 100% in less than two hours. No absorb necessary. That is the beauty of Lithium, especially if you boondock and don't want to listen to your generator.  But agree if Goodenough's battery comes to fruition, will be a game changer.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

please do not get me so wrong. if i could afford them just the weight savings would be great.

i meant no disrespect in my wording. just the cost keeps most away from them.

sure if i can afford a new rv in X number of years, it will have mostly led lights. a good deal of solar up top, top of the line generator, and maybe even these now used only in the lab, but called solid state batteries. now there might be a huge weight savings?  but at what cost?

most likely good old lead acid will still rule the pack.

Understand totally. I still working so money not that tight. I am doing all my "upgrades" prior to retirement in hopes that it will be the last. Sure an accident could change all that. See no way i could do this on a liminited budget. I have installed all led lights, changed acs to mini splits, removed all acs from roof. Plans are to add water bladder to truck, finished lithium upgrade, inverters and eventually solar. Plans to live mostly off grid.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

As for longevity, The used lithium batteries several of us on the forum are using, are 8 to 10 years old and probably have been cycled many thousands of time, and still retain 70% of their original capacity. They weigh about 1/4 as much as lead acid and cost about 1/2 as much as agms for equal amp hour capacity.

This is not some new untried technology. There are many documented cases of EV's reaching 500000 miles on the original set of batteries, Which is probably much harder on the batteries than 10 or 20  years use in an RV.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Mine are not used supposedly. Raphf stated they were from Nissian Plant and were supplus stock. They look new definitly. Regradless, I don't see me replacing them. But being able to live off grid will ighten my living expseness comsiderly and if i do have to replace them may be able to. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1