Saving on Gas money

da'gheens

8 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

..... The best deal appears to be Love's truck stops. 

The variable discount with Loves is no longer, now a fixed .16 per gallon... best rates now are TA Petro.. 

From TSd....As a reminder, our current discount partnerships include: TA (varies) , Petro (varies), Loves (16 cents off retail), SAAP Brothers (12 cents off retail), Road Ranger (20 cents off retail), Ambest (5 cents off retail), Kwik Trip (10 cents off retail) and Kwik Star (10 cents off retail) and Cash Magic (varies).  

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best fuel savings app I have found. I've been using it for a year and it's been flawless. If you turn people on to the program you benefit a little every time they use gas also. My discount has been from 5 cents to 30 cents per gallon off usually in the twenties. If you use my code you get an additional discount.

My code HZSTM gets you a 15c/gal bonus. https://upside.app.link/isHCP82iFbb

Edited by Erik
Spelling error

7 hours ago, Erik said:

This is the best fuel savings app I have found. I've been using it for a year and it's been flawless. If you turn people on to the program you benefit a little every time they use gas also. My discount has been from 5 cents to 30 cents per gallon off usually in the twenties. If you use my code you get an additional discount.

My code HZSTM gets you a 15c/gal bonus. https://upside.app.link/isHCP82iFbb

I have no idea where that link goes and won't click it to find out and I recommend that no one else should click it either. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

I have no idea where that link goes

It is an app by Upside Services, which is a discount service that is much like the discount fuel card that has been promoted in many posts for users of diesel fuel. The fuel app Gas Buddy also has a card that works in much the same way.  I have considered getting the Gas Buddy card. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/19/2019 at 3:52 PM, Kirk W said:

I use Gas Buddy and also have the app on my phone.

Another vote for Gas Buddy.  I just looked at GB in my area and found diesel ranging from $1.99 to 3.00.  That's a whole lot of savings on 60-70 gallon per fill. I avoid the big chains like Love's, FJ etc.  Their diesel prices are sky high.  I can do that because I have a 50 gal saddle tank so I can travel two days and fuel while I have the fiver unhooked and don't need semi size access.  Having the extra fuel capacity has saved a lot.

Driving in your sweet spot can also save fuel.  Most vehicles have a speed that is most economical.  My rig's sweet spot is 59-60 mph.  If I travel at 64-65 I burn about 15% more fuel per mile.  55 mph only saves about 3%.  Try tracking your fuel usage versus speed.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

35 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I do have the Gas Buddy card and it works as promised.

I did not get the Gas Buddy card because it links to a debit card rather than a credit card.  I know I am protected from fraudulent charges on my credit cards.  I am under the impression that this protection does not extend to my debit card.  I guess I should contact my bank to find out for sure.

Jinx and Wayne

44 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I am under the impression that this protection does not extend to my debit card.

Unless it has changed fairly recently, the law doesn't require the same protections for a debit card as they do for credit cards, but all banks that I know of have extended those protections to their debit cards as well. It probably states that somewhere on your debit card or associated paperwork. 

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I did not get the Gas Buddy card because it links to a debit card rather than a credit card.  I know I am protected from fraudulent charges on my credit cards.  I am under the impression that this protection does not extend to my debit card.  I guess I should contact my bank to find out for sure.

The Gas Buddy card requires the use of a pin at the point of purchase so it is not just a swipe type transaction. To me that seems pretty secure as long as I do not reveal my pin. However, our debit does have protections in that it will automatically decline transactions that seem fraudulent to whatever algorithm they use. When they flag a transaction they both text and call so that we can verify or deny the transaction. In short, I have no problem using the Gas Buddy card. 

5 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

If your debit card was issued through one of the major card companies like MasterCard or Visa, then the same protections as their credit cards are typically applied. Those protections may not be mandated by law, but I think they are mandated by the competitive nature of the business.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I went online and looked up my bank's debit card agreement terms.  It is confusing, but one part is pretty clear.  The boldface is something I highlighted.

"TELL US AT ONCE if you believe your card or access code has been lost or stolen, if you believe someone has used your card or access code or otherwise accessed your accounts without your authority, or if you believe that an electronic fund transfer has been made without your permission using information from your check. Telephoning is the best way of keeping your possible losses down. You could lose all the money in your account (plus your maximum overdraft line-of-credit). "

When they say "my account," they mean ALL of my accounts.  I'm going to continue my practice of not entering my debit card information on any website.  There is no way I am willing to bet my money on their security.  I will forego that  particular Gas Buddy benefit. 

Jinx and Wayne

We use primarily FJ when on the road .They are most everywhere  easy on easy off plenty of parking and not a bad restaurant. Just filled  up diesel  locally 2.795 and 8 cents off with the RV plus card was 195.9. We have seen it over 5.00 per gallon a few years ago.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:32 AM, Jinx & Wayne said:

When they say "my account," they mean ALL of my accounts.  I'm going to continue my practice of not entering my debit card information on any website.  There is no way I am willing to bet my money on their security.  I will forego that  particular Gas Buddy benefit. 

Your choice, but IMO I think you need to change banking institutes. Mine with Chase can be found here and it applies to debit and credit cards. That is why I use the Gas Buddy card without a worry. That also applies to using the TRD Logistics card.

11 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Your choice, but IMO I think you need to change banking institutes.

My thoughts as well. My Wells-Fargo debit is pretty much the same.

Wells Fargo helps to protect your cards and accounts with: Zero Liability protection. Your Wells Fargo Debit Card comes with Zero Liability protection at no extra cost. You will be reimbursed for promptly reported unauthorized card transactions.

47 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Wells Fargo helps to protect your cards and accounts with: Zero Liability protection. Your Wells Fargo Debit Card comes with Zero Liability protection at no extra cost.

I have a WF account, too.  I will look at their agreement.

Jinx and Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
5 hours ago, packnrat said:

here it is june 2021, and gasoline is going well over $4.00 a gallon. some places already over $5.usd a gallon.

From AAA gas prices:regular, mid-grade, premium, diesel.

California $4.223 $4.410 $4.534 $4.191
Texas       $2.750 $3.066 $3.357 $2.896

Today's national average for regular, $3.07. Average gas/diesel prices by state

And what difference does it make what the price is in California or Texas if you are in Idaho or Green Bay, Wisconsin?  After 16 years of watching this forum,   I find all of the hand wringing amusing - don't travel if you don't want to spend the dollars necessary to reach your destination.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

17 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

And what difference does it make what the price is in California or Texas if you are in Idaho or Green Bay, Wisconsin?

Try reading the posts completely. 

5 hours ago, Kirk W said: