Saving on Gas money

da'gheens

On 5/5/2020 at 9:49 AM, Friz said:

TSD Logistics for diesel fuel as discussed. Hands down the best program out there. 100% legitimate. That is not an eye opener? um.  Recent development: Our good pal Marcus has forced Pilot/Flying J to drop TSD Logistics. Apparently the paltry Good Sam discount could not compete with TSD Logistics. Marcus' contract with Pilot.Flying J has an "exclusivity" clause which pal Marcus enforced. Another reason I see GS going down the crapper.  The old gray mare just ain't what she used to be. Shame. 

Incorrect.  Pilot/Flying J (first party) notified TSD (second party) that they were in violation of their agreement.  The discount agreement was for TSD fleet purchases but in Pilot's opinion TSD was reselling the fuel to a third party (RVers).

Good Sam and Marcus Lemonis had nothing to do with the decision.

TSD has warned card holders to have no communication with the suppliers that are giving discounts out of fear of losing more contracts.

Edit to add; this information was from the TSD Facebook page which I have followed for a long time.

Edited by Customer1

2018 Keystone Cougar

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW D/A

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSD EFS card is great.  If Flying J/Pilot doesn't want the pull-thru business (food & bev, shopping, etc.) that's up to them.  I couldn't care less.  I simply look at the app, figure out roughly where I will refuel, and put about $30 back in my pocket each time I fill up.  Love's, Petro T/A permit the card; they get my business.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, Trainer said:

Pilot/Flying J was required by contract with GoodSam to not offer a discount to motorhomes not using the GoodSam card.

Clearly, not just motorhomes if other posts in this thread are accurate.

12 hours ago, Customer1 said:

And finally from a very reputable source (IMO), rvtravel.com, comes the answer.

Seems that Sam has an exclusive discount program with Pilot/Flying J. RVers are only to receive discounts on fuel purchases at these branded outlets IF they have a Good Sam membership card.

The folks at the TSD program weren’t aware of this arrangement until they got a call from Pilot’s management. The discount program that TSD had with Pilot for about four months or so is suddenly being canceled. Pilot has to honor its agreement with Good Sam.

The full article https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-938/ and there is a follow on article which to me appears that Pilot is doing damage control for Good Sam in its lameness. https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-939/

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

11 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Clearly, not just motorhomes if other posts in this thread are accurate.

And finally from a very reputable source (IMO), rvtravel.com, comes the answer.

The full article https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-938/ and there is a follow on article which to me appears that Pilot is doing damage control for Good Sam in its lameness. https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-939/

RVTravel.com has a big issue with everything Good Sam related.  In fact, they are very negative in general.

I put more stock in the information released by TSD than rvtravel.

2018 Keystone Cougar

21 hours ago, Customer1 said:

RVTravel.com has a big issue with everything Good Sam related.  In fact, they are very negative in general.

I put more stock in the information released by TSD than rvtravel.

Yes, yes, they do with good cause IMO. The articles I provided links to laid out a very clear chain of events, again IMO. At the risk of name calling and based on what you yourself have provided as to your affiliations with Good Sam, you sure sound like a Good Sam apologist.

I obviously am not privy to TSD's contract with PFJ, but if PFJ is to be believed, the issue was that TSD was allowing their fuel discount cards to be used outside of their own fleet drivers for a fee in violation of that contract. That strikes me as similar to the companies that allow their corporate unlimited cell phone plans to be used outside of their own employee group for a fee in violation of their TOS. The carriers have routinely shut those down when they detect them as well. Good Sam may well be who brought the issue to PFJ's attention though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

47 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I obviously am not privy to TSD's contract with PFJ, but if PFJ is to be believed, the issue was that TSD was allowing their fuel discount cards to be used outside of their own fleet drivers for a fee in violation of that contract. That strikes me as similar to the companies that allow their corporate unlimited cell phone plans to be used outside of their own employee group for a fee in violation of their TOS. The carriers have routinely shut those down when they detect them as well. Good Sam may well be who brought the issue to PFJ's attention though.

I see the same sort of issue.  Here is an excerpt from a recent TSD communication:

On another note, it has come to our attention that some of our fuel card holders have contacted our fuel vendors directly and caused some frustraion for our vendors. Your agreement is directly with TSD not the vendors. Please contact us at 800-275-5089 if you have any questions or concerns. DO NOT contact the vendors. If we we find out that a card member has contacted a vendor directly, we will cancel their card.

I think that it is just a matter of time before other stations drop TSD for violation of their TOS.  Until then, I guess non-TSD drivers will continue to reap the benefits of the program.  I wonder how much TSD is making on the fees they collect from their non-TSD participants?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Yes, yes, they do with good cause IMO. The articles I provided links to laid out a very clear chain of events, again IMO. At the risk of name calling and based on what you yourself have provided as to your affiliations with Good Sam, you sure sound like a Good Sam apologist.

I think it is rude for you to make that allegation.  I am a GS life member and a former club officer.  I LOVE the GS club as well as the SKP club.  However I have no affection or respect for the corporate office. To the corporate office the club is a "marketing tool".

DO NOT confuse the club with corporate, they are entirely different entities other than the corporate owns the club.

Nevertheless if you read rvtravel editorials, it is like reading the ramblings of a grumpy old curmudgeon, a very negative attitude abounds.  They never miss any opportunity to fling arrows at Lemonis or Good Sam Enterprises whether the information is factual or not.

2018 Keystone Cougar

10 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I see the same sort of issue.  Here is an excerpt from a recent TSD communication:

On another note, it has come to our attention that some of our fuel card holders have contacted our fuel vendors directly and caused some frustraion for our vendors. Your agreement is directly with TSD not the vendors. Please contact us at 800-275-5089 if you have any questions or concerns. DO NOT contact the vendors. If we we find out that a card member has contacted a vendor directly, we will cancel their card.

I think that it is just a matter of time before other stations drop TSD for violation of their TOS.  Until then, I guess non-TSD drivers will continue to reap the benefits of the program.  I wonder how much TSD is making on the fees they collect from their non-TSD participants?

How would tsd collect a fee from a non tsd participant? And how would a non tsd driver continue to reap a benefit?  

1 hour ago, palmeris said:

How would tsd collect a fee from a non tsd participant? And how would a non tsd driver continue to reap a benefit?  

A TSD driver means an employed driver who drives for TSD. He/she drives a company truck and fuels with company fuel. A non TSD driver means someone not affiliated with TSD, such as an RVer, who signs up for their discount fuel card program. 

Having had the priviledge of Meeting Joy Hanson, COO of TSD, she shard Loves has called to tell TSD how happy they are to have motorhome fueling there now.

Don"t think they or now the discount matching TA/Petro will drop them anytime soon.

Edited by Trainer
grammer correction

7 minutes ago, Trainer said:

Having had the priviledge of Meeting Joy Hanson, COO of TSD, she shard Loves has called to tell TSD how happy they are with to have motorhome fueling there now.

Don"t think they or now the discount matching TA/Petro will drop them anytime soon.

From her latest email......Good evening TSD Fuel card holders. We have some great news. TA/Petro has come back to us with some great rates. They will likely be the lowest price out of all of our vendors. We have also added Kwik Trip and Kwik Star to our discount program with 10 cents off per gallon. We are reaching out to others now to see if we can increase to some of the smaller chains. Our current discount network is TA, Petro, Loves, Road Ranger, SAAP Brothers, Ambest, Kwik Trip and Kwik Star....

They are expanding their network , which gives everyone more options......so thats a good thing  

3 hours ago, palmeris said:

Thanks Jay for the explanation...so a non tsd participant and non tsd driver are one and the same then? Guess he was just meaning the distinction between someone who works for TSD and someone who doesnt?

I think so.. Often the devil is in the details and it can be challenging to convey complete thoughts via a sentence online. I know sometimes I look at what I've written and wonder what I was thinking?! Jay

On 5/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, Chalkie said:

It's hard for me to tell--are you saying that Good Sam was behind Pilot/Flying J cancelling their discounts to TSD?  If so, can you point to where either of these articles actually says this? 

The closest I could find was that the press release "went far and wide, eventually ending up in the offices of the Good Sam Club."  How do they know this? 

And the next thing they say is that TSD "got a call from Pilot’s management."   But they don't say that Pilot implicated Good Sam.

The article is written in a way to lead people infer that Good Sam caused the cancellation of the discount.  But that's far from presenting evidence and facts that support the conclusion that Good Sam was behind it. 

Edited by Blues

Blues,  Why care who caused the cut off of TSD at Pilot/FlyingJ.  Just across the freeway or down a little, you can, today, save over 100 dollars per 100 gallons of diesel.  It is your money or Pilot/FlyingJ"s money.  GoodSam and Pilot/FlyingJ is not a good deal.  Do what makes you happy.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:44 PM, Customer1 said:

I think it is rude for you to make that allegation.  I am a GS life member and a former club officer.  I LOVE the GS club as well as the SKP club.  However I have no affection or respect for the corporate office. To the corporate office the club is a "marketing tool".

DO NOT confuse the club with corporate, they are entirely different entities other than the corporate owns the club.

I apologize. In my mind there is no way possible to separate the two since one IS owned by the other. In fact, should Good Sam Enterprises decide that the "club" was making insufficient revenue it would fold the club in a heartbeat. It is more than an advertising or marketing tool it is a revenue stream. Good Sam Enterprises is struggling somewhat right now in no small part due the acquisition of bankrupt Gander Mountain topped off by nationwide stay at home orders. I personally have no problem seeing Good Sam Enterprises do whatever it takes to maintain as much revenue as possible.

At any rate, what's done is done. I haven't gotten much use out of my Good Sam membership, in fact have not even gotten back enough to break even on membership cost, and will not renew again. 

On 5/6/2020 at 8:37 PM, Customer1 said:

Incorrect.  Pilot/Flying J (first party) notified TSD (second party) that they were in violation of their agreement.  The discount agreement was for TSD fleet purchases but in Pilot's opinion TSD was reselling the fuel to a third party (RVers).

TSD has warned card holders to have no communication with the suppliers that are giving discounts out of fear of losing more contracts.

Edit to add; this information was from the TSD Facebook page which I have followed for a long time.

If you read it on facebook it must be true. Apologize for besmirching Marcus et al. Oh, almost forgot, my info also comes from facebook. 

On 5/9/2020 at 2:22 PM, Trainer said:

Blues,  Why care who caused the cut off of TSD at Pilot/FlyingJ. 

I actually don't care who caused it.  But I do care about facts and truth, and it appears that the "fact" that Good Sam was behind it is based on an article that doesn't actually say that.

People love to say Good Sam was behind it, but I have to find anyone who says it who actually has any proof of that whatsoever. 

Update on TSD Logistics with EFS card: list price cash was $2.439/gal  paid $1.678 plus 10% so  about $1.75 final cost per gallon.  You have to check the app for fuel price. The best deal appears to be Love's truck stops. 

On saving fuel speed counts sort of.  Depends on the gearing and the engine efficiency curves. With gas engines the fuel injection system will go to an enrichment curve at high load. Load is easily measured by intake manifold vacuum. Each  engine computer is different but assume that less than 8" Hg of manifold pressure will result in a substantial increase in fuel flow.  In the old days this would have been when the secondaries opened in four barrel carburetor. That was an obvious fuel flow increase based on the noise increase. So for a gas engine invest in a vacuum gauge. That will help you control your fuel usage.

Diesels are different. Power curves and  a curve called Brake Specific Horsepower are useful in finding the best speed.  On the Horsepower curve you find the least fuel is used somewhere between1450 to 1750 RPM.   For instance most big trucks are set to run at 65 to 68 MPH. A friend  consistently averaged  over 8 MPG month after month.  He read the curves and the manual to produce that result.

Food for thought.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg