Wanted to Cry......... $40,000.00 Repair Estimate TEC

Vegas Teacher

So Hello All been a long while..........

Hello and Happy Holidays to everybody out there. I have been radio silent and I haven't even been on the Forum since August. I am teaching at a new school and so busy I don't know where to begin some days. 

I sold my 24 foot Fleetwood Pioneer travel trailer. I put it on a consignment lot and got 1500.00 after commission was taken out of the cost. It was in pretty rough shape, I did not want to deal with Craigs List and did not want to argue or haggle with people.

So with 1500.00 in burning a hole in pocket I went to TEC equipment, truck in the parking lot and strode up to the service desk. I asked them if they would do a complete inspection and look over my truck stem to stern. Sure, no problem! I told them what I was doing and that they could keep it as long as they needed to just do a really good inspection.

Two days later I get an email - CALL US.........BAD NEWS

So on a Thursday, of las week, I call them after school lets out. They tell me my first project is 15,000.00 - 20,000.00 for gear failure and I needed another 15 to 20,000.00 worth of parts and labor done to the truck. I hang up the phone and proceed to the nearest toilet at school to puke my guts up. Before hanging up the phone I ask them If I can leave it at the lot until Saturday so I can figure out a way to break this news to my wife, they laughed and said NO PROBLEM.

When I got to TEC Vegas on Saturday morning the first thing I noticed was my truck was in the same parking spot. The next thing I noticed was it had not even moved, not an inch from where I parked it. Then when I went in they service person told me the mechanic started my engine and "Heard" gear failure so he stopped right there and wondered why my comercial 5th wheel was missing in the first place.

I am going to get a second opinion, I am not going back to TEC again.

Later,

Cory Ossana 

That sounds like a mechanic failure,

Don't know if there is a state agency that oversees mechanics, if there is I would call them and let them know what the shop told you.       Get their repair estimate in writing.      

The idea that this diagnosis was from a goober starting your truck is amazing, no metal in the oil, no disassembly, no nothing but, a guy hearing something maybe?        Did you have any weird noises or strange things going on with the truck before you took it there?

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Have you been having truck issues?  I never heard of someone asking to do a complete inspection stem to stern.  That's asking for trouble.  I don't know anything about TEC but get out of there - fast.

Unless you're having issues with something specific just keep up with the normal maintenance.  No repair should cost that much!!!  If you do have a specific problem get a couple estimates on just that problem.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

For that much, you could invest in a different truck.  I've been through a few annuals on HDT/trailers, never heard of one that bad.  Why did you take it in?  What problems were you experiencing?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

So you need a new engine and a new everything else, but they never moved the truck? I hate sleaze bags that give mechanics a bad name. Did they offer to take it off your hands for nothing too?

You we’re not wrong to want someone to check it over good. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. So in a former life, I was a mechanic at a Deere dealership. Did many, many inspections on combine harvesters. Not unusual to have a 20k repair bill, but we are talking half mil machines. But the flip side was the reduction in down time when it mattered most. Trucks are the same way, take care of them and your life will be easier.

You need to find a different shop. But, don’t feel bad, I dropped a radiator off at a shop 2 months ago to get fixed. Never heard from them. Called last week, no good, can’t be repaired. I stopped in on Friday, my radiator was sitting right where I set it when I dropped it off. Needless to say I will not darken that shop’s door again.

1 hour ago, Mark&Bonnie said:

Cory. Good to see you back again. Go somewhere different. That doesn't sound right at all. If you are back home again some time, give me a holler. We live in Arkansas City, not for from you home. Mark

And we're a couple of hours south in The Casa Grande/Maricopa AZ area... Its just a short drive....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

First of all you went to a dealer. Don't do that. They are way too expensive. I found that out again at the west coast rally when I took my truck to freightliner for a leaky water pump.

I just did a quick google search and found a bunch of independent diesel shops in Vegas. Read the reviews and pick one. There are a couple that look pretty good.

I don't know the specs on your truck but if you are worried about it at all. Have them run an overhead (tune up) and pull the oil pan to check the main bearings and rods. I had that done on my truck and found that it has been overhauled recently. So, I spent a couple grand but now I know I'm good.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

18 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

That sounds like a mechanic failure,

Don't know if there is a state agency that oversees mechanics, if there is I would call them and let them know what the shop told you.       Get their repair estimate in writing.      

The idea that this diagnosis was from a goober starting your truck is amazing, no metal in the oil, no disassembly, no nothing but, a guy hearing something maybe?        Did you have any weird noises or strange things going on with the truck before you took it there?

Steve  

No I did not have any noises. I took it in because my truck has a slight lean of 3/4 on an inch left to right. The Truck also pulls to the right as I drive it. I was told that Schrader trucking lines does that on purpose. I also have a bunch of air leaks. So while it was in the shop I told them to check it over. The fact my truck never made if from the parking spot and they don't even have an oil analysis machine in the shop, I find it very fishy.

Later,

Cory O 

18 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Have you been having truck issues?  I never heard of someone asking to do a complete inspection stem to stern.  That's asking for trouble.  I don't know anything about TEC but get out of there - fast.

Unless you're having issues with something specific just keep up with the normal maintenance.  No repair should cost that much!!!  If you do have a specific problem get a couple estimates on just that problem.

It was pulling to the right, and it had a lot of air leaks so I took it in to get looked at. While it was in the shop I asked for the DOT inspection.

Thanks,

Cory O

15 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

For that much, you could invest in a different truck.  I've been through a few annuals on HDT/trailers, never heard of one that bad.  Why did you take it in?  What problems were you experiencing?

I needed to get a steering problem looked at and air leaks fixed. I also thought it might need a new fuel pump. So I asked for a DOT inspection.

15 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I'd go get the truck and run.  They saw a walking checkbook....

Many of the truck stops that perform oil changes and such can do a DOT inspection.  

I did, I am not going back! I might buy parts from them but that is it, unless I can find a place to buy volvo parts instead of TEC.

14 hours ago, Mark&Bonnie said:

Cory. Good to see you back again. Go somewhere different. That doesn't sound right at all. If you are back home again some time, give me a holler. We live in Arkansas City, not for from you home. Mark

Mark,

My dad was a Firestone Store manager who went town to town opening Firestone Stores and reorganizing them. We spent a Year and a half in Arkansas City. We lived on Stanely Drive and I went to Jefferson Elementary School in the Kindergarten and 1st grade. We used to go to Winfield, Witchita & Ponca City for fun.

Later,

Cory O

13 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

So you need a new engine and a new everything else, but they never moved the truck? I hate sleaze bags that give mechanics a bad name. Did they offer to take it off your hands for nothing too?

You we’re not wrong to want someone to check it over good. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. So in a former life, I was a mechanic at a Deere dealership. Did many, many inspections on combine harvesters. Not unusual to have a 20k repair bill, but we are talking half mil machines. But the flip side was the reduction in down time when it mattered most. Trucks are the same way, take care of them and your life will be easier.

You need to find a different shop. But, don’t feel bad, I dropped a radiator off at a shop 2 months ago to get fixed. Never heard from them. Called last week, no good, can’t be repaired. I stopped in on Friday, my radiator was sitting right where I set it when I dropped it off. Needless to say I will not darken that shop’s door again.

Why are places like that? Do they think we are stupid?

4 hours ago, jenandjon said:

First of all you went to a dealer. Don't do that. They are way too expensive. I found that out again at the west coast rally when I took my truck to freightliner for a leaky water pump.

I just did a quick google search and found a bunch of independent diesel shops in Vegas. Read the reviews and pick one. There are a couple that look pretty good.

I don't know the specs on your truck but if you are worried about it at all. Have them run an overhead (tune up) and pull the oil pan to check the main bearings and rods. I had that done on my truck and found that it has been overhauled recently. So, I spent a couple grand but now I know I'm good.

I had a recommendation of a place called true blue truck service 

One thing a lot of RVer's don't understand about truck dealer shops,

Like new car dealers,  they don't really want or need old vehicles to work on.     Sometimes parts are not readily available, the mechanics may not know the older systems very well and, they have plenty of work with newer models.      Mechanics are up to their ears with work, spending hours chasing air leaks is not productive.      The front end work, a good alignment shop is your best bet.

The idea that a shop would even mention a 40K job on an old truck seems like an easy way to say "get lost"

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

So didja go out to the truck with the tech and go over what he heard?  Any tech that lived through the change to rear crank driven air compressors in the early 2010's knows what impending death sounds like.  It's pretty ugly when they let go.  Not sure I'd leave my wallet sitting on the table, but be sure to hear him (or her) out before writing the problem off. (yea, pun intended...)

Gear failure? The tech never put it in gear! Just started it and heard a noise. If you can make it to Phoenix there is a place called Massey Diesel. They do good honest work. I would give them a call first and tell them what’s up. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Gear failure? The tech never put it in gear! Just started it and heard a noise. If you can make it to Phoenix there is a place called Massey Diesel. They do good honest work. I would give them a call first and tell them what’s up. 

Read Scrap's post again.........  How's that compressor driven?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Cory, dont let your panties get into a bunch with the opinion of 1 shop.  Do your due diligence as you have been and continue on your same path.  From reading many of your posts, you plan well and ask good questions.  Dont let that behavior sidetrack you with 1-ONE opinion.  Remember, opinions are like ________, everyone has one.

Marcel