Why I may dump Apple in 2020… and why you should consider it too

RV_

Boy was I surprised, AKH (Adrian Kingsley Hughes) a big Apple fan is unhappy with Apple! That not sarcastic, he's the reason I even tried the iPhone six, ordered two, booted one, got my Apple ID, Was told by support I must load their bloatware, iTunes, on my Windows machine to transfer music to it. I was willing to compromise and do without a micro SD slot, and paid more for 64 GB of storage, but they write malware invitations when they write Windows software, and have from the beginning, so I went through 20 minutes of the guy reading all the things I'd lose if I quit Apple, before they'd delete my one hour old Apple ID. Man I'm glad I left before I'd bought anything. And now even Apple is dumping iTunes. So that's why I dropped Apple on my one attempt.

But AKH???? He is the one author that tells it like it is, he moved to Apple from Windows and Android as primary devices several years back because it used to just work. Now he's again doing a 180, this time away from Apple. He's going to decide in 2020. I think he hopes Apple will fix their exponentially increasing bugs, defects, and their getting further behind every year in innovations and new development.

Below is part of his article with a link to it at the bottom.

Excerpt:

"My love affair with Apple began with an iPod nano. I now own an iPhone, an Apple Watch, an iPad Pro, and a MacBook Pro. And I'm no longer happy.

Once upon a time, I was wary of the Apple ecosystem. That was back in the day of the Macintosh operating system and iTunes platform. I loved the flexibility that Windows offered, and resisted being pulled into what was at the time a niche area of tech.

Then I got an iPod nano (aside: it's still going!), and its simplicity was like a breath of fresh air compared to my previous MP3 player. The thing was so intuitively easy to use, and bombproof with regards to reliability.

It just worked. And I was sold on Apple.

Over the years my investment in Apple's ecosystem has grown from that one iPod nano to an iPhone, a MacBook Pro, an Apple Watch, and an iPad Pro.

But now that ethos of "it just works" has been lost. Now the ecosystem is fragmented, buggy, and on the whole frustrating to use.

First, the bugs.

OK, first off, software means bugs. That's inevitable. But Apple is increasingly drowning in bugs. I've written at length about how buggy the iOS 13 release has been. It's been so buggy that Apple is planning to change its internal development process. Problem is, Apple had a plan in place to make iOS 12 better, a plan that resulted in iOS releases that were plagued by some really nasty bugs.

And it seems that Apple knew how awful iOS 13 was, and yet went ahead and released it anyway.

iOS is getting crappier and crappier.

But it's not just iOS. The latest macOS Catalina release has had some nasty bugs too. These don't get as much airtime, but the uptake of macOS updates isn't as aggressive as that of iOS, and it isn't landing on hundreds of millions of devices within weeks of release.

But for Mac users who have dropped a significant wedge of cash on hardware, this is no comfort.

It's also not just the software. Hardware quality is also not what it used to be. New hardware is released with bugs that take time to fix, battery life is pretty mediocre across all hardware (except the iPhone 11 Pro Max), and prices are still eye-wateringly high.

Then there are all the weirdnesses.

The mishmash of USB-C and Lightning, the fact that Apple Pencil doesn't work on some devices, the intermingling of Touch ID and Face ID, useless features like the Touch Bar, and much more.

The bottom line is that I feel like I'm paying premium prices for Apple hardware, but that I no longer get a premium experience. Some of this is outside of Apple's control for sure and is down to stiff competition, but the buggy releases and inconsistent user experience is totally under Apple's control. And yet, despite years of knowing that iOS development is slipping, it can't get a handle on the problem. What's worse is that I feel that Apple is hiding behind high customer satisfaction scores as opposed to addressing the issues at hand.

Switching over from the Apple ecosystem -- or ecosystems if you use iOS and macOS -- is not an easy task. And Apple no doubt knows this. Deliberate pinch points such as iMessage and Health data have been built into the ecosystem to make transitioning hard.

2020 will be the year that I give serious consideration as to whether I carry on down the Apple path."

Much more in the article here at the source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-i-may-dump-apple-in-2020-and-why-you-should-consider-it-too/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Only reason I went with apple iphone was my hearing aids.  They are not compatible with android.  I much prefer my android phones but alas, can't connect to me h/aids.  If android ever gets the software/ability to connect to them, this iphone is gone.  To load up all my music via itunes.... I had to get the 256 phone.... I consider it a pain in the arse phone, way too expensive for what it is.  AND, very unhappy it won't mirror (cast) to any of my TVs like my androids do.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I got my hearing aids from the VA and they are Bluetooth and I can set the EQ and volume for each ear as well as environment presets like normal or restaurant which are my two presets on my Android phone on the Resound app, I can do more presets but those work for my as it has win noise and background noise settings. I can also adjust a bunch more. I also got a device with my hearing aids that connect to my Android Moto Z3 via Bluetooth, and I can listen to the 90GB of music on my 128GB SD card. I just got them this year, my first hearing aids. Still getting used to all the treble!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My VA issued Signia (Siemens) hearing aids are also Apple specific for direct streaming, but I was supplied with two accessories that correct that shortcoming. The StreamLine TV device is hardwired to the audio output of the TV and streams the sound to my hearing aids, and the StreamLine Mic is both a remote microphone with a 65' range and a Bluetooth interface for my Android phone, laptop, etc. Both devices and the other features like spatial configuration, program options, tone balance, etc., are all controlled from the myControl app on my LG Stylo Android phone. I'd prefer direct Bluetooth connections, but the add-ons do get the job done.  If those add-ons were not available, I'd have probably asked for a different brand/model if possible.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have the VA issued Resound aids.  I misspoke a little, I guess.  I could connect to my android phones but had to go through one of the accessories they provide.  I did not like having to also carry the clip on device that acted like a go between for the phone to hearing aids.  Without the clip-on bluetooth adapter, my hearing aids would not connect directly to my android phone.  I also have the assy for the TV to hearing aids but for some reason, when connected, my TV shuts off the TV speakers and my wife could not hear the TV.  For me, less is best.  I won't carry around a little clip on to hear phone to aids.  Just one more thing to lose, which I'm good at.  Unless they have changed, and this pair of hearing aids are about 3 months old,  Resound hearing aids will not connect directly to android phones.  I also have the resound phone apps, love them.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

I have the VA issued Resound aids.  I misspoke a little, I guess.  I could connect to my android phones but had to go through one of the accessories they provide.  I did not like having to also carry the clip on device that acted like a go between for the phone to hearing aids.  Without the clip-on bluetooth adapter, my hearing aids would not connect directly to my android phone.  I also have the assy for the TV to hearing aids but for some reason, when connected, my TV shuts off the TV speakers and my wife could not hear the TV.  For me, less is best.  I won't carry around a little clip on to hear phone to aids.  Just one more thing to lose, which I'm good at.  Unless they have changed, and this pair of hearing aids are about 3 months old,  Resound hearing aids will not connect directly to android phones.  I also have the resound phone apps, love them.

Are you connecting the TV device to the headphone jack on the TV or the (usually red and white) audio output RCA jacks... The RCA jacks should not cut off the TV speakers, but the headphone jack will.

Dutch

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Are you connecting the TV device to the headphone jack on the TV or the (usually red and white) audio output RCA jacks... The RCA jacks should not cut off the TV speakers, but the headphone jack will.

Unfortunately, my TV does not have those outputs, I looked hard for them.  I have to use the optical out, it cuts out the sound.  When we get another tv, I will make sure it has the rca outs.

33 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

Unfortunately, my TV does not have those outputs, I looked hard for them.  I have to use the optical out, it cuts out the sound.  When we get another tv, I will make sure it has the rca outs.

Ok, that's a problem then. The TV I'm connected to right now doesn't have the optical jack, but I'll give it a try on the other TV when I get a chance. I don't know what a work around would be though.

Dutch

4 hours ago, DJW said:

NDBirdman

You may find it difficult to find a tv with RCA outputs.  Everyone has gone to the HDMI.

Dennis

Probably right.  The 3 TVs I have don't have RCA jacks, kinda figured there were a thing of the past.  Mine all have HDMI in/outputs.

Lately I've been dumping the non-Apple stuff for the most part.  I'm really tired of dealing with stuff that takes way too much effort to set up (Google Home) and on occasion, stops working because the companies had a fight (Alexa and Chamberlain).  Meanwhile the Homekit stuff just works instantly, and keeps working.

I did recently build a Hackintosh.  MacOS is still far less problematic than Windows, and although I use Linux on all of our company's servers, it's not really a great seamless desktop experience for heavy usage.  The way MacOS seamlessly works with all devices (desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone) is unmatched.  There simply are no options for the extreme integration they offer.  Some people may not need and use it, but I do, all day.  But Apple has really lost their way on desktops.  They are an easy and clear winner on laptops, but the desktops are just stupid.  So I use generic PC hardware to build a Mac Pro equivalent at 1/3 the price, put MacOS on it, and have the best of both worlds.

I've worked in technology my whole adult life, since 1983-ish.  I still enjoy just screwing around with things that don't work quite right, and making them work, or dealing with issues.  But during my workday I'm no longer interested in battling with tech.  And when I'm out and about doing my personal errands I have no room for things that aren't working 100% with ALL of my data on all devices all of the time.  This is what's driven me away from Androids, Windows, and Linux, after years trying to use them all.

Hey guys, just go to the article and click on "Show comments" in the red bar, and then read on. There are more than a few Apple users who just can't stand Apple's glitches anymore. And funny thing, Apple users don't seem to know that their hardware is identical to Windows hardware, except they hide the motherboard, HDD and SSD manufacturers etc. See in 2005 Jobs admitted Apple's Power PC chips were so far behind he just cut his losses and ordered Intel chipsets developed for, and just like Windows except for one chip that the Apple OS looks for, or it won't load. Mackintosh builders know what I mean. Here he announces it

Prior to this 2005 announcement, Apple folks called Windows Intel the "Evil Wintel." That term disappeared overnight.

Some corrections from erroneous posts above. First off this constant stream of viruses and cost for antivirus programs??? Bad intel! Windows has beefed up our built in  anti malware program, Defender, to where it meets or exceeds the top three commercial brands. No cost, and effective. Of course you can override any anti malware and fall for a scam. Some do.

Windows updates arbitrarily restarting without warning is long gone. Just be sure your settings are set for no sudden restarts in Settings/Windows Update/advanced settings.

And no, Windows users don't see blue screens of death as a regular occurrence since XPSP1. My systems rarely if ever freeze up.

I'm fine with whatever folks choose to use. I Don't have to throw stones at Apple to like Windows.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, RV_ said:

Apple users don't seem to know that their hardware is identical to Windows hardware, except they hide the motherboard, HDD and SSD manufacturers etc.

I don't know one single Apple user who isn't totally aware of that, and doesn't know what the benefits are.

My desktop is a Hackintosh, typing on it now.  Apple seems to have given up on the desktop market, it's all overpriced and not great.  While they rule on laptops by far and obviously on mobile devices, the desktops are a ridiculous mess.

On 12/14/2019 at 12:35 PM, Carlos said:

While they rule on laptops by far and obviously on mobile devices, the desktops are a ridiculous mess.

I don't know where you get Apple laptops "rule by far" since they're rated tenth this year and falling in both quality perceived and market share: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings Apple's 9.4% market share includes desktops.

The Apple laptops are not superior except to Apple fans. Nor leading in anything, market share, bang for the buck according to this very good laptop market overview for 2019: 

" The best part? In its 2019 refresh, the MacBook Air now has a reduced starting price of $1,099 — or $999 for students. You can find more powerful, quad-core laptops in the Windows 10 space, but Apple enthusiasts finally have a decent entry-level laptop we can get behind." Guess they had no decent entry level laptops recently? Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-laptops/

Microsoft however continues to:

"Why we picked the Surface Pro 7:

The Surface Pro line has earned its dedicated following over the years with its excellent detachable keyboard and full Windows 10 performance. It’s the familiar PC experience you’re used to, with the added interest of 2-in-1 capability, Surface Pen stylus compatibility, and a tablet mode. It’s a supremely well-built device, complete with a beautiful, high-resolution display and rock-solid kickstand.

The latest model, the Surface Pro 7, doesn’t make any substantial changes to the formula, but it does offer a couple of key upgrades. You now get a USB-C port rather than a mini-DisplayPort, as well as upgrade performance with 10th-generation Ice Lake processors from Intel. That means snappier performance and improved integrated graphics.

Do we wish the Surface Pro 7 had the slimmer chassis and smaller bezels of the new Surface Pro X? Of course. But the Surface Pro 7 is the cheaper and more dependable option of the two, and it easily maintains its status as the best 2-in-1 you can buy."

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-laptops/

I'm typing this on my brand new Surface pro 7, i7/16GB/256GB SSD. Since 2012 when Microsoft came out with the Surface RT but soon realized that was an iPad like device and switched, like I did, to finally funding it with the Surface Pro 3. All my Surface Pro systems had/have type covers, Microsoft docking stations, mildest travel cases, and their own dedicated external drive for images and files backup and expansion if needed.I just sold my Surface Pro 3, and still have my Pro 4 i7/8GB/256GB but added the Surface Go for my nightstand reader/entertainer unit, replacing my Fire HDX 8.9" classic. There are only two Go variations available, the 64GB eMMC drive with 4GB RAM. I bought the 8GB Ram 128GB real SSD version and immediately converted it from the safety oriented Windows S, To regular Windows 10, and love it. While the Fire HDX had the same lacks the iPad still has, Amazon now offers a full HD 10" Fire tablet with micro SD card storage expansion up to 256GB. The latest version, 2019, handles 512GB micro SD cards. But the Amazons are limited like the iPads. Apps only and no Windows or other desktop programs can be run. Thus my abandoning all but my latest 2017 Fire HD 10 which I bought the "Fire Show" stand for kitchen use. It becomes a 10" Amazon show and full Alexa hands free device. But my wife prefers her phone! So it will go too soon. Our Surface devices are full capability Windows all in one desktops shrunk down to hand held size. Even though I've the new Dell 27" desktop being delivered this Thursday, the 19th with full touch screen, a 128GB boot SSD, with a 1TB Hard drive for storage, the 10th gen i5/16GB RAM makes it Dell's newest all in one. the new quad core processors are almost twice as efficient and seem much faster because they don't have the workarounds for the earlier generation Intel vulnerabilities to Spectre and Meltdown flaws all the previous to gen 8 Intel processors had on all Intel based computers, including all the Apple Intel systems prior to gen 8 and most AMD processors as well. I waited until Gen 10 and my new Surface Pro 7 is gen 10 too. The Go has the latest gen Pentium, the 7th Gen Intel® Pentium® Gold 4415Y. For complex video editing or other processor intense tasks I'll use the Pro 7 i7 or the new Desktop. Everything else is going to be sold but those three, and my stupid and amazing Voyo mini PC that started out with Windows 8, 32 bit, Atom Z37352GBs of RAM and 64GB eMMC. It updates fine every time! An amazing quad core processor still being used: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80275/intel-atom-processor-z3735g-2m-cache-up-to-1-83-ghz.html

Tech toys, love 'em! You love yours!

Safe travels!   

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998