I love snow. Awning out during snow fall.

rving mr

Hi all

Any Idea on how a person would go about having there awning out during snow fall ? My roller keeps un rolling if I don't have awning fully extended(are all models like this or is myn broken ?). I was afraid to have 100% out du to snow w8.

I try'd it for a bite but I constantly was sweeping off the snow.

Edited by rving mr

4 hours ago, rving mr said:

Any Idea on how a person would go about having there awning out during snow fall ?

It depends on what awning you have. Of course, if you get too much snow you could damage it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you going to sit in a permanent spot that gets snow? If you are then why not build something that is permanent and also strong enough to both support the weight of the snow and also to withstand strong wind. The typical RV awning will not survive gusty winds that exceed about 30 to 45 mph if they are such that the wind gets under the awning. Remember that these are fabric awnings that are designed to be light in weight, portable, and easily deployed or retracted. They are not designed to withstand high winds or heavy loads. Being made of fabric, the center will belley and sag as they collect precipitation and collect it, rather than shed it. That is the reason that experienced RV owners will drop one corner of their awnings when left extended in rain. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, rving mr said:

Hi all

Any Idea on how a person would go about having there awning out during snow fall ? My roller keeps un rolling if I don't have awning fully extended(are all models like this or is myn broken ?). I was afraid to have 100% out du to snow w8.

I try'd it for a bite but I constantly was sweeping off the snow.

Assuming you, like me have a manual awning(mine is Carefree of Colorado), yes, material will keep unwinding until fully unrolled. If you move the ratcheting  locking lever to the store position it will not unroll any further, however it will roll-up and put pressure on the locking braces.

Keep in mind, melting snow becomes ice overnight, and is much heavier than snow. Had that happen to an slide topper awning once, had to stay an extra night so sun would melt the ice and I could retract the slide. Now I put a cheap beach ball under the topper awning so snow melt runs off instead of pooling.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The awnings on my dream machine are going to be made out of sturdy solar panels.

Meanwhile I never tempt fate with my RV quality stuff...

If the snow was of the dry fluffy falling straight down and going to melt tomorrow variety I might have the awning out to save the mess on th porch when it melts. Might. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, noteven said:

The awnings on my dream machine are going to be made out of sturdy solar panels.

Meanwhile I never tempt fate with my RV quality stuff...

If the snow was of the dry fluffy falling straight down and going to melt tomorrow variety I might have the awning out to save the mess on th porch when it melts. Might. 

Sounds cool.. Is there good flexible solar panels these days (fold able) ? Would bee awsum if you could give a drawing/photo of the design idea you thinking about !