Super Solar, instalation on my Toy Hauler, THANK YOU Chad.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Over the last three months when Chad, had the time to work on it he did an install of a Super Solar system on my toy hauler, 1,410 watts worth.  Easy starts on the bed room and living room air conditioners, auto start on the generator if the solar won't provide the needed power. To top it off the detail that Chad paid to the install is without doubt the work of a true craftsman, it is an electrical work of ART.  Click this link to be taken to a photo gallery detailing the installation, the photos speak for themselves.  I have seen quite a few solar installs but NOTHING compares to the workmanship displayed here.

IMG_9292-X3.jpg

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/Solar-installation-on-my-Toy-Hauler-RV-trailer/i-3pTJQjL

Donna, the Dogs and I will be traveling SOUTH again this winter, we will stop at Chad's home on the way and have him give me a class on how all this fancy stuff works.  I hope this stuff comes with manuals as I can't depend on my memory to learn all of these different gauges and indicators.  THANK YOU Chad, for doing this wonderful job for me, if-when you go into the business of doing this please know that I will be showcasing your work everywhere I go.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz i cant sqell

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

19 minutes ago, RickS said:

Dave,

Congrats on the new system looks great...Chad does do excellent work! It sure is going to be quiet when we meet up in the desert this June again.  ;)

CC10VDIdS9ocTiSQqNpLns-6hYMiRdKQDcfQvFA1

Howdy Rick,

I need to blame someone for this, so you and Tony, are being held responsible for this expenditure.  😀  If you guys hadn't been so quite I wouldn't have sounded so noisy.  Seriously, this is something I had thought about but until staying with you, Tony and Chad, I had never camped for so long away from shore power and with you folks living the way you did, it corrupted me.  And YES I am so looking forward to this years desert shenanigans.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Dave.  I appreciate it.  It was fun working with the the Victron equipment.  I am jealous of the set up and will most likely go that direction on my next trailer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Just now, Chad Heiser said:

Thanks for the kind words Dave.  I appreciate it.  It was fun working with the the Victron equipment.  I am jealous of the set up and will most likely go that direction on my next trailer.

Howdy Chad,

THANK YOU Chad, I could never have found the pieces to do this, that you took the time to set me up with the latest stuff rather then just throw something in that works speaks to your integrity and willingness to do the best by your customer. :D

Looking at all the photos I honestly don't have a clue what many of the parts are or how they are all interconnected but how you did it is a pure work of ART.  I am so looking forward to coming down to your home, getting schooled on how this all works and then getting a chance to put it to use this coming winter.  As your explaining some of these things I think it best that I take video so that I have something to refer to later because I "will" forget. :wacko:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

While the set up of the Victron stuff can be fairly complex, the actual use of it is pretty simple.  We’ll make you an expert by the time we are done at my place and with our trip to AZ.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Agreed, quality work. Also, bear in mind that the system is sized to meet the client's needs, not just the installers expectations. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That's a very clean install. You should be proud, as that is a very nice system. Congrats! 

On your photo hosting site, you stated that your roof air conditioners draw too much power to be run off of batteries. While this may be true for a typical roof mounted RV AC, there are RVers running high efficiency mini-split heat pumps off of large battery/solar systems.

I plan on installing just such a system in a couple years. Here's a link to the kind of heat pump I'm talking about:

http://www.geinnovations.net/solar-electricity-cost.html

I am installing my solar system in 2 phases. The first, small phase was completed in July and consists of 620 watts of tilting solar panels mounted on the side of my MH charging two GC-2 batteries in series. This is being used to power my 12v appliances such as my slide, LED lights, evaporator fridge board and furnace blower (my biggest 12v power hog). I also have a small 600 watt PSW inverter I'm currently using to power my entertainment center and computer which were chosen for their outstanding energy efficiency.

I mounted this on the side of my RV to save room on the roof for the second phase of my solar system. I'm planning on racking nine, 320 watt panels on my roof, in a straight line, covering it front to rear. This will charge a 48v battery bank which will do all of the "heavy lifting" powering both the aforementioned 48v, 12,000 btu mini-split and a 3kw inverter. There's one RVer I know who is running two mini-split heat pumps in his when boondocking off grid. 

Chip

3 hours ago, sushidog said:

That's a very clean install. You should be proud, as that is a very nice system. Congrats! 

On your photo hosting site, you stated that your roof air conditioners draw too much power to be run off of batteries. While this may be true for a typical roof mounted RV AC, there are RVers running high efficiency mini-split heat pumps off of large battery/solar systems.

I plan on installing just such a system in a couple years. Here's a link to the kind of heat pump I'm talking about:

http://www.geinnovations.net/solar-electricity-cost.html

I am installing my solar system in 2 phases. The first, small phase was completed in July and consists of 620 watts of tilting solar panels mounted on the side of my MH charging two GC-2 batteries in series. This is being used to power my 12v appliances such as my slide, LED lights, evaporator fridge board and furnace blower (my biggest 12v power hog). I also have a small 600 watt PSW inverter I'm currently using to power my entertainment center and computer which were chosen for their outstanding energy efficiency.

I mounted this on the side of my RV to save room on the roof for the second phase of my solar system. I'm planning on racking nine, 320 watt panels on my roof, in a straight line, covering it front to rear. This will charge a 48v battery bank which will do all of the "heavy lifting" powering both the aforementioned 48v, 12,000 btu mini-split and a 3kw inverter. There's one RVer I know who is running two mini-split heat pumps in his when boondocking off grid. 

Chip

Howdy Chip,

I am very happy with the job that Chad, has done it will suit my needs and probably exceed them.

The system your describing sounds like it should work well for you.  I know that there are air conditioning systems that can be solar powered but their cost is far beyond my paygrade and a system like what your describing along with the I am "assuming" lithium battery bank to support it would probably exceed the worth of my toy hauler.   If I were much younger and could afford such a system, had an RV worthy of it, I would go the direction you are going.  Have fun and ENJOY what you are building. 😀

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Chad and I were talking about how nice your system came out at dinner last night. Just looked over you photo album....Clean install!

Now we wont know when you are awake in the morning without genny run time!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

2 minutes ago, CrazyCooter said:

Chad and I were talking about how nice your system came out at dinner last night. Just looked over you photo album....Clean install!

Now we wont know when you are awake in the morning without genny run time!

Howdy Tony,

Like I mentioned in my first post to this thread, I am holding YOU partially responsible for this, our campsite was as quite as a desert ghost town until I needed power for something.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Tony,

Like I mentioned in my first post to this thread, I am holding YOU partially responsible for this, our campsite was as quite as a desert ghost town until I needed power for something.

Dave

Wouldn't be the first time I have been blamed for a lighter wallet! Just wait till you get to use it boondocking noise and trouble free.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I'm pretty sure its mostly Tony's fault for introducing us all to the hi desert riding experience....look forward to it every year now! :)   With the amount of combined solar I'm sure we could power the whole site there.

Edited by RickS