cataract surgery

Well it seems that after ignoring the suggestion for over a year, it's time I considered cataract surgery. Since we are full timers and in south Texas for the winter, McAllen & surrounding areas look like the place to get it done. I'm interested hearing from anyone who has experiences or suggestions about a doctor or clinic to avoid or to use. Your help will be greatly appriciated.

Gary

Gary & Darlene

2010 Jayco Designer 35rlsa 

2010 F350 SD dually

VisitedStatesMap.gif.6c7f56497d82810555a7838e2fe311c7.gif

Each states licensing and qualifications for practicing medicine is different.   I found this site helpful in looking up medical practitioners:  https://www.healthguideusa.org/medical_license_lookup.htm

Also google the Dr for reviews, you do have to read between the lines as each individuals expectations are different.  Here is one source for Dr reviews: https://www.healthgrades.com/

Here is a link to Yelp Dr's in Mcallen:   https://www.yelp.com/c/mcallen/physicians

Good luck with your search and looking forward to you sharing your your findings here.  

This is the kind of thing one normally asks their primary care physician about, or at least the ophthalmologist (or optometrist) they have been seeing for a few years.  I often ask "who would you send your mom to"  if I haven't know the person for long.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

This procedure seems so quick and easy nowadays.  It's not something to try to avoid or be overly concerned about. Once you're down there just make an appt. with one or two ophthalmologists for their opinion and how you feel about their practice.  Sometimes those having a large practice and one who does many of these procedures is good because they have associates to consult with readily available in their practice.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

My wife had cataract surgery on both eyes about 5-6 years ago.  I thought it would be straight forward, just remove the lens and drop in an new one, all covered by medicare.  Well, actually it was that simple.  However dealing with the doctor and their office pushing hard for us to do add on's for $$$ above what medicare would pay for.  That is cataract replacements that would eliminate astigmatism and a couple of other options, I don't remember now.  They insisted we would be most unsatisfied if we didn't take the options.  Well the plain old lens replacement worked just fine.  She still has to wear glasses to correct the astigmatism and for close up work, but she has worn glasses all her life, so nothing new there.   

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

When I was scheduling my cataract surgery with my eye doctor, I was given a pamphlet that described the various options and the extra costs. I was told to read through it and they would answer any questions I might have before making my choice of procedures. I opted for the basic lens replacements that my Medicare Advantage plan fully covered, and decided to go with distant vision lenses that would still require me to use glasses for reading and computer screen work. My thinking was that I would still be able to drive ok even if my glasses were lost or damaged, and reading could be done with a cheap pair of "cheaters" from Walmart until new prescription glasses could be obtained. There was no pressure from the doctor or the staff to upgrade to a more expensive lens.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just as an FYI, I had cataract surgery in January of this year.  Unfortunately it didn't work.  The reason was that I had PRK/Laser surgery 20 years ago and because they didn't know my prescription before the PRK they didn't get the lens strength correct. Before the surgery I could see well, only needing over the counter glasses for reading but was told the cataracts would get worse so Decided to get them done.  I told them about the PRK but they said it would be OK.  They wanted me to get the other eye done two weeks after the first and I told them no, not until the vision had corrected in my first eye.  They offered to do a lens exchange to correct it but still couldn't guarantee it would work.  I am in the process of trying to get copies of my records so I can get a consult with the Mayo Cinic and determine what to do.  Frustrated at having to wear prescription glasses all the time now, for both long distance and reading but at least I can still see.  My vision is getting worse though so I will have to sort something out.

Sorry to ramble on, but I want to advise anyone who has Lasik, PRK or any surgery at any time to make sure you get a copy of your records.  If you have to have cataract surgery later the records will help to show what your prescription was before the lasik and they will be able to more accurately determine the cataract surgery requirements. 

11 hours ago, bryansues said:

Sorry to ramble on, but I want to advise anyone who has Lasik, PRK or any surgery at any time to make sure you get a copy of your records.  If you have to have cataract surgery later the records will help to show what your prescription was before the lasik and they will be able to more accurately determine the cataract surgery requirements. 

I had Radial Karatomy (pre lasik) years ago and it really complicated the cataract surgery.   My surgeon had me see another doctor that had a knack for determining the correct lenses.  He did pretty good but if I had the records it would have been better.  Still the cataract surgery helped a lot but I wear glasses.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

8 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I had Radial Karatomy (pre lasik) years ago and it really complicated the cataract surgery.   My surgeon had me see another doctor that had a knack for determining the correct lenses.  He did pretty good but if I had the records it would have been better.  Still the cataract surgery helped a lot but I wear glasses.

I'm hoping the Mayo Clinic will have more experience. I'm having trouble getting copies of my records for them though.  I'll get there.  

14 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I am in early stages of cataract in right eye. I intend to use same doctor that done my Lasik surgery. 

That's the best option, so much better if they know your prescription before the Lasik.  Unfortunately the place I had them done is no longer there, and the eye doctor I used after them doesn't keep records that far back. Lesson learned. 

• 10 months later...

I had them done and paid the extra to not need glasses at all. Prior to the surgery I had much better than average near sight and only used glasses for distance vision - driving and TV glasses.

They took my near vision away. I can no longer read tiny print or the default text size on my phone and tablets. I was furious. Now admittedly my distance vision is astounding. A lot of floaties broke loose inside that float in my vision reducing clarity. Since I lost my near vision having to have reading glasses in the end of my nose is the norm now. So I'm leery of the never need glasses. My wife has always used readers. Since my Tesla is all controlled on the tablet I need non-polarized bifocal sunglasses to be able to switch from the screen to the road. I never could wear regular sunglasses before but now I can. The bifocals are $9.99 on eBay. So to summarize, as to near and far vision  I'd not expect too much near vision but for me the far vision was and is amazing. The loss of my near vision is a giant disappointment. Good luck and do your drops. They are the real pain. The surgery was a breeze.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'm in the same boat Derek. I had the implants that was supposed to correct vision.far I was near-sighted, had surgery and could see far and close quite well. That was about 15 years ago, now I must wear glasses to read, I increase my computer screen to 110% so I don't need glasses.

That's the least of my concern now, glaucoma reared it's ugly head. I"m on daily eye drops to keep it controlled, there is no cure. I wonder if it might be connected to a severe head blow i received 8 years ago, had to have both retina's reattached by laser surgery.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I'm in the same boat Derek. I had the implants that was supposed to correct vision.far I was near-sighted, had surgery and could see far and close quite well. That was about 15 years ago, now I must wear glasses to read, I increase my computer screen to 110% so I don't need glasses.

That's the least of my concern now, glaucoma reared it's ugly head. I"m on daily eye drops to keep it controlled, there is no cure. I wonder if it might be connected to a severe head blow i received 8 years ago, had to have both retina's reattached by laser surgery.

I had a drain put in last June after progressive pressure increases even after a regiment of 4 different drops.  They did a cataract replacement lens at the same time.  The pressure has been good since, although I'm back on one eye drop. 

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

• 2 months later...

Mine were done in 2016, Nov-December left eye the the right two weeks after.

Sorry to hear that Ray. My wife is early glaucoma too. Pre if you will.

My doc in Shreveport was concerned about having too little pressure at these higher altitudes. I got here 1 Nov 2019 and haven't made any non-emergent appointments so unless my eyes start to deflate I'm staying home and in my car looking around on windshield tours until the COVID danger passes and/or we've been vaccinated.

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I had cataract surgery done in 2016. I only needed it done on the right eye but they did both eyes so I would not need to wear glasses (I was very near sighted). Now I do need glasses for some reading of fine print but generally no need. The lenses I received were toric lenses so they they were able to remove most, but not quite all, of the astigmatism I have. The main thing I noticed, aside from not needing glasses, was how much brighter and more colorful everything became. The cataract had slowly stolen that and it was so gradual that I never really noticed. The post-surgery change was dramatic.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I had cataract surgery done in 2016. I only needed it done on the right eye but they did both eyes so I would not need to wear glasses (I was very near sighted). Now I do need glasses for some reading of fine print but generally no need. The lenses I received were toric lenses so they they were able to remove most, but not quite all, of the astigmatism I have. The main thing I noticed, aside from not needing glasses, was how much brighter and more colorful everything became. The cataract had slowly stolen that and it was so gradual that I never really noticed. The post-surgery change was dramatic.

How much of an up charge were the toric lenses?  My wife had cataract surgery about 5-7 years ago and they really pushed the extra charge lenses.  However as I remember they were darn expensive, maybe like $1000.  Medicare covered the base lenses but nothing on the special lenses.   She said no to the lenses.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

4 hours ago, Al F said:

My wife had cataract surgery about 5-7 years ago and they really pushed the extra charge lenses.  However as I remember they were darn expensive, maybe like $1000.  Medicare covered the base lenses but nothing on the special lenses.   She said no to the lenses.  

My wife was in that same boat and made the same choice. She only needs glasses to read now and is very happy with the results. She was able to pass the driver's license vision test without glasses for the first time ever. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Al F said:

How much of an up charge were the toric lenses?  My wife had cataract surgery about 5-7 years ago and they really pushed the extra charge lenses.  However as I remember they were darn expensive, maybe like $1000.  Medicare covered the base lenses but nothing on the special lenses.   She said no to the lenses.  

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea. I am retired military and at the time my provider was the USAF Academy and the surgery was done there. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

My wife was in that same boat and made the same choice. She only needs glasses to read now and is very happy with the results. She was able to pass the driver's license vision test without glasses for the first time ever. 

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea. I am retired military and at the time my provider was the USAF Academy and the surgery was done there. 

Thanks for the info.  We probably would have paid $200-$300 for the special lenses.  We felt the cost we were quoted for the new lenses was like most of what we have seen in the medical charges the last 20+ years.  The retail cost is exorbitant, but they are willing to take from 10 cents to 30 cents on the dollar from the insurance companies/Medicare. 

After all Medicare was paying for the surgery, all the extra charge would have been for the different lenses. 

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX