Propane Gauge - recommendations, pls

mysticmd

15 hours ago, Jennifer Ministries said:

I think float gauge in a propane tank consists of moving parts situated both inside the tank and outside.

That is true for tanks found in motorized vehicles as they are ASME tanks while the removable cylinders found on most trailers are DOT. The cylinders do not typically have a built-in gage.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfgY7GTTYY7-b24zjM7              shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT663xlxuE1gw61VnQSd

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/23/2019 at 7:54 PM, mptjelgin said:

What is this talk about going out in the dark and rain to swap cylinders?  With the automatic changeover regulator they swap themselves.

I use my sensor (in the daylight) to give me an idea when the "primary" tank is getting low so that I know to keep an eye on the regulator over the next couple of days, depending on usage. When the red indicator shows that the regulator has switched to the secondary tank I take the empty tank in to get filled. This is all very controllable, and I've never been outside in the dark of night messing with tanks...

I always utilized the automatic changeover feature of the regulator when we owned trailers. There is no doubt when it switches over, the green band begins to turn red as pressure begins to drop. Not checking the regulator is directly on the owner/occupants.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/30/2019 at 5:15 PM, Kirk W said:

That is true for tanks found in motorized vehicles as they are ASME tanks while the removable cylinders found on most trailers are DOT. The cylinders do not typically have a built-in gage.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfgY7GTTYY7-b24zjM7              shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT663xlxuE1gw61VnQSd

Hi Kirk, you are exactly right and i'm as well agree with you. Many thanks. 

Note that Worthington, Manchester, and others do make DOT propane cylinders with built-in float gauges though.

s3PQ5Hil.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-20-Pound-Cylinder-Overflow-Prevention/dp/B00JBPDLQK

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch that is  not a gauge, it is a preset open/closed valve to limit re-filling to 80% of total volume.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Dutch that is  not a gauge, it is a preset open/closed valve to limit re-filling to 80% of total volume.

Worthington 336483 20-Pound Steel Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve And Sight Gauge

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 11/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, agesilaus said:

I'd rather swap it over myself then I know that the MT needs to be filled.

I would want the auto switch over option to keep the little lady happy especially when preparing my meal. If you elect to still swap over yourself just leave the full tank valve closed. The 2AM tank change then just requires opening a valve and not a noisy experience for your neighbors .

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I definitely understand the auto change over valve and how it works BUT when I am in a cold climate where lines can freeze I would rather the tank run out, and  for me to switch it over than for me to not remember and use up the two tanks and not have any back up propane. At least when I switch it over my self when MT I can remove the M T and get it filled.  Just my thinking.  I did just purchase the propane level detector Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker so before going to bed I can get an Idea of the level of the take in service.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

12 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

I would want the auto switch over option to keep the little lady happy especially when preparing my meal. If you elect to still swap over yourself just leave the full tank valve closed. The 2AM tank change then just requires opening a valve and not a noisy experience for your neighbors .

Clay

I noticed in his message Agesilaus mentioned that they'd not used their furnace on the road yet.  I guess if all you're doing with propane is cooking and heating water running out isn't a big deal.  To me furnace operation, and the convenience of automatic switching in the middle of the night is what the auto-changeover regulators are all about.

I  don't understand the concern about burning through both tanks and being left completely empty. It just isn't that hard to be aware of when you run one out. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

When you are first starting out you really don't know how much of anything you will use and either underestimate or overestimate usage, and probably rely on the indicator panel lights as being 'right on' rather than 'in the neighborhood'.   I know that the first year we filled our 40 gal propane tank (in a motorhome, with 32 gal onboard when full at 80%) twice when the light indicated just a 1/4 of a tank left.   Each time it took 15 gallons or less.  That's when I started to compare the lights on the utility panel in the coach with the actual gage on the tank.   Now I know about how much we typically use (not much as we almost always have full hookups) and we refill tank once a year,  usually about 20 gallons.   We maybe run the furnace twice during the spring in Western Washington if it is cold and damp just to get the chill off everything.   We avoid cold weather and use electric space heaters (front and back) for cool evenings in the northwest. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 12/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

Note that Worthington, Manchester, and others do make DOT propane cylinders with built-in float gauges though.

s3PQ5Hil.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-20-Pound-Cylinder-Overflow-Prevention/dp/B00JBPDLQK

I apologize dutch, I was wrong. that liquid level gauge is an option. I assumed it was just another pressure gauge. It is not shown or listed on Worthington's website that I could find.

Edited by Ray,IN

12 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

When you are first starting out you really don't know how much of anything you will use and either underestimate or overestimate usage, and probably rely on the indicator panel lights as being 'right on' rather than 'in the neighborhood'.  

Indicator panels only work on motorhomes with a level gauge on their permanently mounted tank, not on the portable tanks used in trailers.  That's why we're talking about an automatic switchover device and how to determine how much propane is in a trailer cylinder.

When I was living in Santa Rosa 15 years ago my neighbors moved from an apartment into a new 5th wheel the dealer delivered to the site.  No one explained the propane system to them and late on one 30 degree night I heard them banging on their propane tanks - both were empty and they had no heat.

I gave them my spare tank to use since I had enough in the other one to last until morning.

Edited by Lou Schneider

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Indicator panels only work on motorhomes with a level gauge on their permanently mounted tank, not on the portable tanks used in trailers.  That's why we're talking about an automatic switchover device and how to determine how much propane is in a trailer cylinder.

When I was living in Santa Rosa 15 years ago my neighbors moved from an apartment into a new 5th wheel the dealer delivered to the site.  No one explained the propane system to them and late on one 30 degree night I heard them banging on their propane tanks - both were empty and they had no heat.

I gave them my spare tank to use since I had enough in the other one to last until morning.

I'm sorry, I was trying (and obviously not succeeding) to comment on how after one is on the road for a while they learn how much they will typically use as they go about their daily routine.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

First camper I had with a auto changing regulator I’m all proud of it sayin how great this luxury will be camping at 15F ... then I’m out there at 01:00 hrs cause I guess you have to open the valves on both cylinders...

I just did it again a couple weeks ago...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We have two propane tanks that changeover  when one is empty and a red indicator shows which one is empty. We use our eyes  to check which one is empty .After years of RV'ing we kind of have a feel for when we should look. This system has been flawless for many years.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

9 hours ago, noteven said:

First camper I had with a auto changing regulator I’m all proud of it sayin how great this luxury will be camping at 15F ... then I’m out there at 01:00 hrs cause I guess you have to open the valves on both cylinders...

I just did it again a couple weeks ago...

Been there, done that too. Everyone has a starting point, as Barbraok said. When we began, I too didn't know to open both tanks so the automatic changeover function could do its job.

Quite often sales folks know even less than the prospective buyers.

I also have the Mopeka sensors.  They work great when they work, but are a little finicky.  Putting a dab of dielectric grease on the sensor before attaching it to the tank helps. 

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS