Starlink Central

Zulu

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StarLink Beta FAQ and link to Reddit source

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/hr4904/starlink_beta_faq_antenna_images/

FAQ

q: What is Starlink Beta?

a:Starlink Beta is an opportunity to be an early user of the SpaceX's satellite internet system.The purpose of Starlink Beta is to gather feedback that will help us make decisions on how best to implement the system for Starlink's official launch. By design, the beta experience will be imperfect. Our goal is to incorporate feedback from a variety of users to ensure we build the best satellite broadband internet system possible.

q:Who can participate in Starlink Beta?

a:Starlink Beta will begin in the Northern United States and lower Canada, with those living in rural and/or remote communities in the Washington state area. Access to the Starlink Beta program will be driven by the user's location as well as the number of users in nearby areas. All beta testers must have a clear view of the northern sky to participate.

q:Why do I need a clear view of the northern sky to be a beta tester?

a:The Starlink system is currently made up of nearly 600 satellites orbiting the Earth that can provide internet service in a very specific range-between 44 and 52 degrees north latitude. Your Starlink dish requires a clear view of the Northern sky in order to communicate with the Starlink satellites. Without the clear view, the Starlink dish cannot make a good connection and your service will be extremely poor.

q:Can I document and share my Starlink Beta experience?

a:No, unfortunately you cannot document or share your Starlink Beta experience publicly. Beta testers will be required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement as a condition of their participation.

q:How will my service quality be during Starlink Beta?

a:During Starlink Beta, service will be intermittent as teams work to optimize the network. When connected, your service quality will be high, but your connection will not be consistent. This means it may support streaming video with some buffering, but likely is not suitable for gaming or work purposes.

q:What is expected of me as a participant in Starlink Beta?

a:Beta testers will provide feedback in the form of periodic short surveys over an 8 week period to help our teams improve every aspect of the service.

q:Is there a cost to participating Starlink Beta?

a:There is no cost to be a beta tester, aside from a $1 charge to help test the billing system.

q:What will I receive as a Beta Tester?

a:Your Starlink Kit will arrive via FedEx pre-assembled with a Starlink dish, router [see FCC approval], power supply and mount depending on your dwelling type. Your Starlink Kit will require a signature for delivery, but you will be able to manage your delivery date and time through FedEx.

q:How does Starlink internet work?

a:Starlink will deliver high-speed broadband internet across the globe with a large, low-Earth constellation of relatively small but advanced satellites. Satellite internet works by sending information through the vacuum of space, where it travels nearly 50% faster than in fiber-optic cable.

q:Most satellite internet services today come from single geostationary satellites that orbit the planet at about 35,000km, covering a fixed region of the Earth. Starlink, on the other hand, is a constellation of multiple satellites that orbit the planet much lower at about 550km, and cover the entire globe.

a:Because the satellites are in a low orbit, the round-trip data time between the user and the satellite - also known as latency - is much lower than with satellites in geostationary orbit. This enables Starlink to deliver services like online gaming that are usually not possible on other satellite broadband systems

q:If I sign up to be a Beta Tester and I change my mind, can I cancel?

a:Yes, you can cancel at any time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/hr4904/starlink_beta_faq_antenna_images/

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

19 hours ago, Zulu said:

Starlink Beta Testing

As previously noted, emails have gone out for Starlink's private and public beta testing:

ifmdjw84iqa51.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Thanks to a Starlink Redditer who data mined some JavaScript code, it looks like beta testers will be selected from between the 44th and 52nd parallels:

starlink-beta-test.jpg

Connecticut is below the 44th parallel, and my request to be included was not rejected.  I have no idea whether I will be accepted or not.  But it seems strange to me to have passed screening using my actual address, if Starlink is not considering me.

Edited by DanZemke

54 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

Connecticut is below the 44th parallel, and my request to be included was not rejected.  I have no idea whether I will be accepted or not.  But it seems strange to me to have passed screening using my actual address, if Starlink is not considering me.

We'll know you're an actual Starlink beta tester when you stop posting about it -- Starlink NDA.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

We'll know you're an actual Starlink beta tester when you stop posting about it -- Starlink NDA.

I've never claimed to be an actual Starlink beta tester or intimated that I was.  And of course, Starlink's NDA is irrelevant for someone who is not a beta tester.

So the purpose of your post was? 

It appears to me, that you were just taking a cheap shot that was unethical.

My intended point was the source of your cited information appears to have been mistaken.  I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning the veracity of your source.  The latitude of my house is lower than 41.4 degrees.  Starlink did not reject my house address.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

3 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I've never claimed to be an actual Starlink beta tester or intimated that I was.  And of course, Starlink's NDA is irrelevant for someone who is not a beta tester.

So the purpose of your post was? 

It appears to me, that you were just taking a cheap shot that was unethical.

My intended point was the source of your cited information appears to have been mistaken.  I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning the veracity of your source.  The latitude of my house is lower than 41.4 degrees.  Starlink did not reject my house address.

You're reading way too much into my response. It was not a personal attack.

I think a couple of IRV2 posters may be actual beta testers, because almost as soon as they told everyone they had been accepted, they stopped posting. However, we'll see.

Here's my source. Might be right, might be wrong.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

37 minutes ago, Zulu said:

You're reading way too much into my response. It was not a personal attack.

What possible benefit did you expect by your prior question?

"We'll know you're an actual Starlink beta tester when you stop posting about it"

It was a cheap shot.  Admit it, and let's move on. 

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

1 hour ago, DanZemke said:

What possible benefit did you expect by your question:

"We'll know you're an actual Starlink beta tester when you stop posting about it"

It was a cheap shot.  Admit it, and let's move on. 

IMHO it was joke.  Not well done which is why some of us are not paid comedians. IE: look at some of the stupid stuff I have said.

Well call me embarrassed and I stand corrected zulu. I guess it might have been an unwaranted comment.

Edited by bigjim
More information was provided.

23 minutes ago, bigjim said:

IMHO it was joke.

No joke. It what should happen if you get accepted into Starlink's beta program according to this supposed Starlink non-disclosure agreement:

You must not share anything on social media about the Starlink Services or the Beta Program.
This applies not only to public forums, but also to private accounts and restricted groups.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

7 hours ago, Zulu said:

No joke. It what should happen if you get accepted into Starlink's beta program according to this supposed Starlink non-disclosure agreement:

You must not share anything on social media about the Starlink Services or the Beta Program.
This applies not only to public forums, but also to private accounts and restricted groups.

I can not confirm or deny your speculations. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

4 hours ago, durangodon said:

Just opened the box, and they already have violated the terms of their beta agreement.

Appears to be a Starlink engineer, someone on the inside. People are speculating that it’s just a Starlink PR stunt to generate interest.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Wait....you dont get paid a dime to help a multi-billion dollar company, AND you have to zip your lips?

Hmmm....

Earlier I posted that I could not get the Starlink website to take my physical address....the 'SUBMIT' button was not functioning, after I typed in my correct, I repeat, CORRECT address. 

Well I thought, lets try a few more variations....just for grins...

It finally took one of the variations, I left out the 'S' indicating South....poof...it let me SUBMIT.

Sometimes the webmistress will have her way....and make us SUBMIT.

Ok...but its kindve a moot point, since I'm waay too far south anyway....but what the heck. I get to tell people that I SUBMIT.

Or not.

😎

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

Here's an informative video about Starlink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei0eapghhGE user antennas and the infrastructure to support them.

If your using a metered internet connection, consider setting YouTube to 240p to dramatically reduce your data usage. 

The same guy has posted several subsequent videos.  I viewed all of them through July 15.  But in my opinion, there is little useful Starlink information in the follow-ons.  The primary purpose seems to be to hype his YouTube channel. Albeit, in one, he seems to be promoting himself to Starlink as a potential evangelist for the company. 

If you're a real techy, the July 15th one does show snapshots of actual source code for  customer service. 

The code shown is very specific about the range of acceptable latitudes for the Beta as:  44.9 to 51.8.  But these could be easily changed in a few minutes, so they may or may not be the actual ones used for the Beta.

Edited by DanZemke
reformatting for clarity

Another source of news about Starlink and Tesla and Tesla Energy and Battery tech is all in Teslarati, call it all things Musk. They do in-depth looks at new projects and great articles about all things in Musk's world.

If you hate Musk then boycott it all and don't read these articles and threads.

But I have found that the Space X website gives little insight to what and how they are doing. Teslarati gives the insight and news for everyone. Look around and see if it suits you for Starlink news or not in addition to this thread, or not. The sections are well marked so you can avoid reading any Tesla articles. Wonder who I'm talking to. ;):P:lol:

https://www.teslarati.com/category/spacex/

Read the fairing recovery article and scroll down to the pics of the catch. It is of interest because everything done to reduce costs means Starlink will be that much easier to afford in the long run.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire