RVing with a new puppy?

NealC

I'm getting a female yellow lab in a month as I'm finally getting over the loss of my baby girl last March. I started RVing in mid 2017 and had an adult lab. Any tips on having a puppy in a motorhome? I welcome any and all advice, it's my 4th yellow lab but first puppy in the motorhome. 

Thanks for your tips. I'm excited!!!

Neal
2017 Newmar Ventana 4037 - 1800W Solar - HWH Active Air
2017 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox and Air Force One
https://rvforums.com

As you have had several dogs you probably know and have everything  you already need. We never had a puppy and got our first one , a Springer Spaniel, on the road and am sure I have gone overboard but she has replaced the kids LOL LOL

• We used a crate for 8 months inside a baby gate around the kitchen tile in the RV. We took the baby gate down around 5 months and at 8 months we only used the crate when we were driving and got her a dog bed for inside the RV. When driving we just use a padded harness attached to the seat belt.
  • I keep a pair of rubber slip on shoes and a flashlight/whistle by the door and for the first couple of months; took her out every couple of hours or whenever she sat by the door and we never had an accident in the fiver.
  • We also got her chipped and a black collar with neon green reflective embroidered name and my phone number.  Knock on wood she has never wandered off and is not a door dasher but just in case I could be called if we are separated.
  • I use a 26 foot retractable reflective tape leash to increase visibility. (not corded, as they can amputate an appendage if you or the dog get tangled up in it) I also have a saddle bag on the leash handle to hold waste bags and treats when bribery is needed.  On one occasion a neighbor's puppy got out and was running in front of cars in the dark.  I put my flash light in flasher mode to get the drivers attention and used the treats to capture the puppy.
  • When she was about a year she started to like chasing after golf carts, bicycles or motorcycles in the park, so I got a vibrating neck collar, i don't use electric shocks as the sound and motion are enough to get her attention and she listens to my commands. After two times I didn't even need to put on the collar just show her the remote or the collar and she ceased. On one occasion I just showed her my cell phone and it had the same effect. (she thought it looked like the remote control)
  • My favorite discovery was Chewy.   https://www.chewy.com/   She is now on prescription food and they keep the RX on file and ship in two days wherever we are.  Very convenient.
  • When we are in more remote locations I use a walking stick as I have been charged while walking my dog on two separate occasions.  One was a pit bull and lab that got loose, fortunately some other hikers were near by and scared them off.  The other occasion 2 German Shepards got away from their owner.  That time I had my walking stick and just made myself look big till the owner got the dogs.

Congrats on your new fur baby, enjoy.

From your other post it sounds like you will be in the Arizona desert this winter.  Everything has thorns so watch where the pup walks especially around 'jumping' cholla.  They are wicked!

You shouldn't have any issue of snakes in winter but be on the lookout & don't let her dig into a hole.... never know who lives in it!

Keep it on a leash.

Good luck!  Should be fun!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks all, great tips. I have a crate on order, sadly it will be temporary to have the smaller one in the coach, the big one will be at home. I'm a big fan of crate training. Good tips on the desert floor and paws. 

Major kudos to chewy.com, what a great company. I ordered two cases of food when my prior lab was end of life phase (liver cancer) and she passed sooner than expected. Didn't have a chance to use the food. Chewy refunded me and said donate it. Forever a customer now.

Neal

My biggest fear is the teething. My previous lab loved the berber carpet in my house and having fun with the threads she pulled. My fear is the RV carpet is of the same type "like berber" or whatever it is and will be prime for the puppy to have fun with. I'm thinking of putting some cheap Walmart runners on top of it. I'll be on alert when she's not in the crate!!

Neal

Crates should be sized to the dog.  There shouldn't be a large and small crate in different locations.  Ideally they should be as alike as possible to reduce stress.

Every dog is different, we just went through a puppy phase and this one didn't chew on anything improper.  I don't know if it's just his personality, or that we used the crate a lot, or that we made sure to have a huge amount of toys around for him.  But I would definitely suggest a few toys, and always redirect any chewing by a simple "no" and giving a toy at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Crates should be sized to the dog.  There shouldn't be a large and small crate in different locations.  Ideally they should be as alike as possible to reduce stress.

I agree but I don't want a 42 inch crate for a lab in my RV during her puppy months. I'm not sure when she's full grown (1 year+) that I'll continue the crate in the RV. This is more for initial training and containment now while she's a puppy. I have the full size crate at home. I just don't think I can fit the crate where I want in the RV in the full size version. I'll have to do some measuring again, it would be nice to not buy two or have one wasted when she outgrows it.

Neal

Teething.....Keep um busy.  I started her young teaching her to fetch and we would toss a ball or a toy for her to retrieve everyday.

We had/have a plethora of toys, chews and treats available in her toy box. TJ Max, Marshalls, Costco/Sams and Ross are good sources of discounted toys. The only thing she chewed was the back of an oak end table when she was around 4 mos old.  Someone told us to put hot sauce on it but we found out she loved hot sauce. Being in the small confines of an RV we were able to keep an eye on her and kept her entertained with toys and lots of walks. (Thankfully she is not a door dasher)  We also used our baby gate outside so she could get used to being off leash but staying near us and to get her used to lots of distractions from others in the rv parks. Until she was able to jump over the gate we also had play dates with other puppies in the park to help with her socialization.  The gate took up quite a bit of space and some parks don't allow them.

They always find a way :) Yeah, I did the hot sauce thing too and my lab at that time wanted more haha. And yes I've had the furniture legs knawed, been there as well. 

I made a terrible mistake with my last lab and I'm sure not to do that again. I played "I'm gonna get it" in other words a game of chase when she had a toy. Well, my labrador "retriever" never retrieved, it was chase. She did fine off the boat and swimming for retrieving but it was hard to exercise her as we never got the fetch/retrieve concept figured out. That is not happening this time around!

Neal

• 11 months later...

IMO the largest factor is causing the animal-any animal to do as you wish because it is the easiest and most stress-free thing to do; in other words it is what they prefer to do.  That is training. To make any animal do something out of fear of reprisal causes resentment and stubbornness.

It has been a several decades since i trained a dog, and  about 2 decades since training horses. A dog crate should be their safe place where they wish to relax and spent down time, as well as spend the night IF you leave the door open for them. It should NEVER be used as punishment.

I'm not ready to undertake the task now. I'm too old, impatient, and stubborn to follow the rules of training another animal.

I have however found my DW has accomplished training me quite well.😉

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

You've had dogs before so you are likely pretty good at training. 

I found a very good dog training book when we got a puppy back in the early 90's and used it again with our Muffie, who we lost after 16 years. I have wished that I had read that book before our kids were born, although I am told that crate training for children is not considered PC?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Yeah well, just wait until you hear what most people think about shock collars for children...

An old man was walking around the neighborhood and stopped to talk with another man.  The second man noticed the dog collar around the other mans neck and Inquired why. About that time the old man jerked and said, Oops, I've got to go now my daughter wants me home.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Crate training and don't be a lazy parent. I buried my last boy (Newfoundland) with the bear he had since a puppy at 11.5 yrs. He and my new boy (newfoundland) at 4 yrs. have never ruined a thing. You can only count on one hand the times they both had an accident in house since getting at 8 weeks. 20 years of male Goldens and no problems. Had yellow labs years ago but the lived in a barn. At 70 yrs. wifie and I can't live without our big babies. Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 4:19 PM, Ray,IN said:

An old man was walking around the neighborhood and stopped to talk with another man.  The second man noticed the dog collar around the other mans neck and Inquired why. About that time the old man jerked and said, Oops, I've got to go now my daughter wants me home.

Wow....what an awful daughter.  Why didn't she just use the tone control and given her father enough time to return home!!!

Some people should NOT allowed to own a shock collar!!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, Vladimir said:

Wow....what an awful daughter.  Why didn't she just use the tone control and given her father enough time to return home!!!

Some people should NOT allowed to own a shock collar!!!

Perhaps he was tone-deaf.

Obviously I should have prefaced that by saying it was a joke.