Arizona boondocking recommendations?

NealC

11 hours ago, pjstough said:

We were about a mile and a half east of 95 and internet speeds were usually less that 2MBS down and about .2MBS upload. We have cell booster with both directional and omnidirectional antennas but neither helped much.  There was six of us there with various cell phones and mifi devices and speeds were all about the same.

That probably has more to do with the overloading of the towers during the winter than it does the strength of the signal there.  We were in Q in November for an overnight at an RV park in town...good signal, but very, very slow even that early in the season.  It's got to be agonizingly slow during January!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 1/5/2020 at 8:29 AM, LindaH said:

That probably has more to do with the overloading of the towers during the winter than it does the strength of the signal there.  We were in Q in November for an overnight at an RV park in town...good signal, but very, very slow even that early in the season.  It's got to be agonizingly slow during January!

We had decent internet speeds when in town, but if I understand things correctly, the tower in town that is located at the intersection of Main Street and Hiway 95 does not provide signal north to Plamosa Road but one east along the interstate and south of Quartzsite along Hiway 95.

Edited by pjstough

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

• 4 weeks later...

Snowbird West RV Park is located about 50 miles East of Quartzsite, 1.5 miles North of Interstate 10 at exit 69. There you can get a site for $8.00/nite or about $40-$45/week. There is water to each site which is turned on for about 2hrs each day to fill your tank. Every Friday you can get your black tank emptied for $3.00.  Electricity is not available, so you provide your own with solar, or generator. You can also get a permanent spot for $650/yr. The park is only open from Oct. 1 to May 1.  There is a year round security person, so you can store an RV over the summer on an annual site.

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

On 1/5/2020 at 7:29 AM, LindaH said:

.  We were in Q in November for an overnight at an RV park in town...good signal, but very, very slow even that early in the season.  It's got to be agonizingly slow during January!

I've never had problems in Nov with Verizon, even out of town.  Who's your provider?

Edited by hemsteadc

For what ever reason, Verizon at Quartzsite was much slower this December/early January than the last two years.  It actually got better during the mid January show, and is doing OK now.

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I was surprised at just how good both Verizon and T-Mobile were in Quartzsite during the show, I rarely found it slow.  I had more of a slowdown in the evenings while camping at Gunsight Wash, near Why Arizona last week, and there weren't that many people out there.  But then I don't suppose that many people go through the area, not like the huge numbers that go to Quartzsite.

Good to hear that it's still OK, I'm leaning toward returning, at least for a week or two.

20 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Do you by any chance have a plan that throttles you?

We're on Verizon's unlimited plan which has an actual limit of 20GB (?) per month and 15GB as a hot spot.  However, we were no where near either of our limits so shouldn't have been throttled.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I was in Quartzsite during Big Tent Week, camped south of town in the La Posa Wash LTVA.  Speedtest showed my download speeds were in the range of 600 kbps while uploads were 5-6 Mbps.  This suggests the problem wasn't RF congestion but the tower dividing the available download bandwidth among too many users.

The week after the Big Tent download speeds improved to 2-3 Mbps, also suggesting the slowdown the week before was due to too many users sharing the download bandwidth.

I was using a Mobley on AT&T and got there in the middle of the Big Tent week.  Another Mobley user in the group reported much better speeds, but she had been continuously connected since the week before the Big Tent.

Edited by Lou Schneider