A couple of questions from a newbie full timer

SurfsideNomad

Hello All !

I am new here and will be living full time in my 2005 Class C Four Winds Majestic 23a by the end of this month.

My rig has a few issues...maybe some of you can offer some tips or suggestions to help me prepare for ful time living.

1. Onan 4k generator isnt running..it wants too but just cant get it to start..have a few ideas on getting it going like spark plug,seafoam treatment,fuel filter...wondering if I should just get a  3500w quiet converter generator for now or a lithium converter generator...the only electric I will be running is TV,laptop and A/C in summer (hence 3500w)...Do I really need to factory Onan working? COuld a dead cell in a battery stop it from turning over?

2. Turned on water pump and some shout out of the top of kitchen faucets  (seal leak?) ...also found some dripping out of the rear driver side undercarriage ..havent gotten the panels off by shower bottom or wall panel yet to investigate but thought mybe someone here might have had same issue.

3. MY rig has a propane stove but no oven..any suggestions on what kind to get?

4. Fridge works with shore power but not getting it to work on propane..watched some videos on ressting the panel..did that but still not working on gas..read some about a pilot not firing ??

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2005fourwindsmajestic.jpg

Edited by SurfsideNomad

Congratulations, looks like a nice rig.

I would recommend a convection microwave, if you've just got to have an oven.

Get your built in generator going, even if you have to pay someone.

Find the dripping source before it causes (more) damage.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

x2 for Chirakawa also think about getting anew battery so you know where you are starting. Get the Onan serviced,(around $150) costs a lot less than buying a generator. If your range and heater work that mean you are getting propane, look to see if a spider or something is blocking the orifice, if not, get someone out to look at refrig. If range and heater don't work see if you propane is turned on, turn on slowly.

I would consider the water leak the most major item that needs to be looked at.

FYI-You don't need a special RV microwave, measure the hole go to Lowes.

Does your generator run off of your engine fuel tank - if so, then you have to have at least 1/4 of a tank, maybe even more, or the generator will act just like you are describing.   Fill up your tank, then try again and it may take a couple of tries to get the fuel lines full again.   If that doesn't work, get the generator service (should get that done anyway) and as part of service they will diagnose/fix problems.

If you don't have an oven I'll bet the microwave is also a convection oven.  I love mine, works very well, just takes a little getting use to.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks for the input I appreciate it for sure !

The range does work after I got an rv repair guy to come install a new valve down by the tank. Are the lines for the fridge and stove one in the same? I would have assumed all would have there own lines..When I removed the dinette I also removed the heater and capped the gas line going to it..there was another separate line that seemed to be running towards back of fridge.

The Gen does run on the engine fuel tank but low fuel is not the problem .From my  previous research before I even tried starting the generator i made sure there was over half tank of fuel in the tank.It is $125hr for the Gen repair people and I was told it will be a couple of hours at least plus any needed parts :( Hate to get $600+ into the onboard gen if I don't need too.I don't mind paying but just want to make sure the means justify the ends... Any mechanical/practical reason the Onan on board would be better money wise then going with a new quiet plugged into shore power cable? I am going to be boondockiing so was thinking of going with a quiet Gen ...any suggestions on the best one 3500w or above?

Thw microwave is not also convection but I did see some convection ovens recently and will have to go back and check them out again.Thanks !

Get the onboard generator fixed.   You won't regret having it working when going down the road in extremely hot weather - you can keep the whole rig cool with the roof air conditioner!   If you are going to boondock, look at adding solar and good inverters, plus at least one more 12 v (2 6V) battery.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Don't spend money on a stand-alone generator.  The onboard one is so easy to use..... and yes, you WILL use it!  Many wonderful campgrounds - national parks, national forests, etc. - don't have electric and you'll be using that generator a lot.

Solar is great and we had the panels but don't get into that until you try getting by with the onboard generator.  You can always add solar if you plan to do a lot of dry camping.

I agree with getting a convection/microwave.  It can bake breads, cookies, roasts, etc.  We loved it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

My previous RV would not work with a stand alone generator. Something about needing grounding, I think, but I don't speak that language.

Another thing I have no experience with but hear on here a lot is a Breville oven. If you have counter space, that is, which many Class Cs don't have. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/ovens.html

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Most convection ovens run on a 20 amp circuit - same as the microwave.  We run ours on 30 amps with no problem - just don't have another 'heat' generator, like a floor heater, going at the same time.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

18 hours ago, SurfsideNomad said:

1. Onan 4k generator isnt running..it wants too but just cant get it to start..have a few ideas on getting it going like spark plug,seafoam treatment,fuel filter...wondering if I should just get a  3500w quiet converter generator for now or a lithium converter generator...the only electric I will be running is TV,laptop and A/C in summer (hence 3500w)...Do I really need to factory Onan working? COuld a dead cell in a battery stop it from turning over?

I think it would be worthwhile to get your Onan working.  Any outboard generator will require you to carry additional fuel cans and you can't just flip a switch and get power, you have to set them up and tear them down each time.

Most built in generators start and run off of the house battery because they don't produce 12 volt power themselves, they rely on the house converter to replace the 12 volt power they use.  A dead cell in the house battery would keep it from cranking but it would also make your house lights dim out when you aren't plugged into power.

Is the problem that it sounds like it wants to start but then stops as soon as you release the Start switch?  In this case there are two possible culprits.  Onan generators need to see oil pressure and voltage from the generator to keep running when you release the Start switch - if either is missing the engine will immediately shut down when you release the switch.

Flight Systems makes high quality replacement circuit boards for RV and commercial generators.  They have several YouTube videos and an excellent free troubleshooting guide you can download on their web site.  If those fail to help, you can get a free telephone consultation.  Click on the "Book Now" button on the top of their web site to make an appointment for them to call you back.

Edited by Lou Schneider

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Flight Systems makes high quality replacement circuit boards for RV and commercial generators. 

Dinosaur Electronics also has replacement Onan circuit boards as well as those for most refrigerators, water heaters and furnaces. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 11/1/2019 at 12:03 PM, SurfsideNomad said:

The Gen does run on the engine fuel tank but low fuel is not the problem .From my  previous research before I even tried starting the generator i made sure there was over half tank of fuel in the tank.It is $125hr for the Gen repair people and I was told it will be a couple of hours at least plus any needed parts :( Hate to get $600+ into the onboard gen if I don't need too.I don't mind paying but just want to make sure the means justify the ends... Any mechanical/practical reason the Onan on board would be better money wise then going with a new quiet plugged into shore power cable? I am going to be boondockiing so was thinking of going with a quiet Gen ...any suggestions on the best one 3500w or above?

We just had our generator serviced, including an oil change etc. for $135. Do not go to a dealer for this. There are mobile service people who will come out and service your generator. Parts are extra.

I would do the usual trouble shooting(Sea Foam, battery etc) and if you can't get it going get a serviceman. An onboard generator is so much easier to deal with than a portable. I don't know where you got the $600 from but I can't see the cost een being close to that.

Back to basics:  The start button is also the primer. Be sure to press it to off until the light goes out then press start.

You also might try starting it from on board switch instead of remotely.  Begin by flipping off its circuit breakers to remove all loads.  While next to the gen you should hear its fuel pump "clicking" while priming.

Low oil level will prevent the gen from running once you release the start button.

If we can't talk you out of a portable and all the PIA it will bring.....  A couple of weeks on the road will convince you.

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

Thank you for all the added info and advice !!!😀

I am going to go with the advice given here and get the Onan going then I will see what other power options suits my needs.It's obviously best to have that in running condition and then a use stand alone unit as my backup.

I am having the fridge looked at  today..Will be using a local rv company to service the generator . Over the weekend I was able to get it running for a very short period of time and now getting the switch light blinking 3 times for service.

Found leak coming from the Dometic Sealand toilet handle. Would that leak effect the pressure to the shower head and or sink faucets?Any links,tips etc on getting that model fixed would be much appreciated. :)

Edited by SurfsideNomad

If the toilet water valve is leaking, replace it with a new one. Could be that sometime is it's life someone forgot to winterize it and it froze. Water leaks in an RV can do more damage then just about anything else.

Hope you get the genny fixed. My brother has a 4 KW Onan in his class BT Cruiser. Had to replace the carburetor with a new one to get it running again. Left the un-lead gas in the carb to long.

Good decisions. I would wait and see if you need an additional generator. If you are boondocking you might want to consider adding solar and additional batteries. Wait for any major purchases until you find your RVing style in about 6-12 months.

Regarding the toilet if you want to fix it this is a DIT project, just check you tube. We ended up buying  a new one after I broke an additional piece of the toilet. They are not expensive. Pretty easy to change out.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, jc2 said:

Is the main breaker in ur class c 30A or 50A?  Convection ovens will have a lot of amp draw. 

I doubt there are many Class C's with 50-amp service, at least I've never seen one.  We have a Class C with no oven, too, and we have a microwave/convection oven.  It works just fine on our 30-amp service whether we're plugged into power at an RV park or running the generator when boondocking.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul