Class A or Class C

9 hours ago, Kirk W said:

How many years did you live that way?

Six. Three full-time and three snowbird. Not counting the years camping before going full time, of course, although we didn't put out much more than that once we bought our tent trailer. We did put our camp stove on the site-provided picnic table when cooking but we always put it away after we ate to prevent wild animals from investigating it. I guess we've been minimalists since our backpacking days. Even in our later years the camp chairs only came out when social camping and they usually got put away at night to prevent wind/rain problems. We truly didn't have to do much packing up to move once we stopped backpacking.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. I just realized we still live that way. It take only a few minutes to put away the few things we normally have out when the housekeeping crew is due here. We really do believe in a place for everything and everything in its place. Our kitchen counters, for example, have a knife block, a food scale, a roll of paper towels, hand soap, and an electric can opener on them. Everything else is put away after use. (In the motorhome only the hand soap and paper towels stayed out.) My current jigsaw puzzle and Dave's current electronics project are our messy spots and I try to finish a puzzle before the crew is due if it is at a reasonable stage of work and Dave packs his project into a plastic bin at cleaning time. I guess we still live the way we always have whether in a motorhome or a stixs n brixs. We don't have chairs on our balcony here, either.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have a cousin like that.  You had to even sit on the couch because you will disturb something and she's jumping up to straighten out cushions when you go use the bathroom.   

My husband and I believe in entropy and try not to fight it.  Entropy always wins.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm more like Linda and my DW is more like Barb. Imagine the fun time we have - sort of like the odd couple. She leaves everything out while I go behind her putting things up. I don't know if I got that from doing load plans in my Army days, or camping in an Aliner with a designated spot for everything. But I'd rather she leave them out than put them in the wrong place and forget where she put them - which happens more often than not when she attempts to puts things away. We try to find a happy medium, or at least detente. So far we've managed not to kill each other. Hope springs eternal. 

Chip

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I have a cousin like that.  You had to even sit on the couch because you will disturb something and she's jumping up to straighten out cushions when you go use the bathroom.   

I believe cushions and lap rugs are meant to be used; I want you to be comfortable while here so I let you chose where and how to sit and I don't straighten cushions until after you leave. :)

Linda

12 hours ago, sushidog said:

'm more like Linda and my DW is more like Barb. Imagine the fun time we have - sort of like the odd couple.

I think that we probably fall somewhere between the two lifestyles but, both Pam & I have hobbies that we have done while in all of our various homes, including the motorhome. When she is sewing to make clothing, new curtains, or a host of other projects it just doesn't make sense putting everything away each time she pauses and then getting everything back out. The same has been true for my woodwork projects and computer projects. It takes some time to set up a sewing machine, scroll saw, or her craft tools. In addition, when we stop for more than a couple of nights, we set out an awning mat, chairs, and such. Inside we must move the house plants into the sinks, or other places to ride well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With our limited experience I would just chime in that if you want to stay away from RV parks and pefer boondocking - you should focus on the biggest tanks you can get and the most solar power you can fit on the rig - those things would matter more than class A or C, or things like floorplans etc. The key regarding floorplan for us was to be able to access bathroom, fridge etc with slides in - we can't always put our slides out where we park and wanted to make sure we could sleep and live comfortably with slides in.

Also, things like insulation is a big deal because you have to run AC/heater more conservatively while "off the grid" than when you hook up to shore power. And a high quality "residential" bed was a must for us, sleeping on some of the RV beds/cusions we found in lower end rigs would be fine for trips, but not for fulltime for us.

For those reasons we ended up with a higher end class A. And yes, it is very beautiful and feels way more extravagant and elegant than what we "need". But it has the quality furniture that can take the "abuse" of fulltime living,  (I have a low tolerance for cheap flimsy plastic things that break....), the type of insulation and heating system we wanted for "all weather" camping and the type of engine, size tanks etc etc. that we felt would best fit our needs.

Good luck !

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport