HDT carrying cars other than a Smart Car.

Dan Karau

So the wheel bearing thing is interesting. The outer wheel on the rear axle has the centerline of the bearings inside of it. Not sure of the percentage, but I would say it’s close to 80 percent. So with the inner wheel on that hub assembly there is more stress on the bearings.

Now before you say it is centered between the wheels. Then where are the brakes located. Take a hub assembly off and look. 

Maybe while you have the hub off take a picture and post it.

Be nice,    Vern in a T-shirt 

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Well, ya know Vern does stretch the "rules" to fit his needs.  Seems to me that 'bout 10-12 years ago, he was told that running just the outside tires would overload his hub bearings on his drives.........

Are the bearing loads equal?  Nope.  Are they within design limits? Apparently.

Bearing design limits.... I know a guy that made his money hauling potatoes, he never had a problem with bearings. He did go through quite a few axle housings though. So I would say there is a fair amount of safety factor in the bearing design.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:34 AM, Wrknrvr said:

This picture shows hitch extended to make clearances for fifthwheel.

zDzhalOl.jpg

just a thought,.  Vern

VERY COOL!  I wondered if anyone had done something like this!  So the hitch extends and retracts?

How big of a deal is it as you move the hitch away from the centerline on the back axles?  I guess the further away it is, the more of a lever action there is on the pivot?   I'm new to 5th wheels and the needed geometry for hitch placement on the tow vehicle.

Has anyone used one of those in-motion sliding hitches as well?  The ones made for short bed trucks, I think, where they move on turns to give extra clearance?  Not sure how much room they give you but for people running long, maybe every inch counts.  Or at least if you are close, maybe it could put some people within legal length -- as long as truck and trailer are straight when the officer comes with the tape.

And also for an extending/retracting hitch -- maybe you could snug up the trailer by a foot or two by the time you pull over to get measured.

The original truck hitch was a slider with air locking capability. So a driver could adjust the position of the hitch as needed.

I built the hitch as a slider. And used the original locking mechanisms. But I never installed the air capability to lock or unlock it. I made a bolt in place catch for the lock parts. On a sliding hitch as mine there is a row of teeth to adjust to position. I think it moves about 26” total..

With the hitch extended it lifts about 1000 lbs off the front axle. That is with a 6000 lb pin weight.

Also with the hitch behind the center of the axles the fifthwheel will take a wider track on turns. Witch makes it easier to maneuver around campgrounds.

Vern in a T-shirt 

At one time there were three of us who carried vehicles in a garage behind the sleeper of the truck. Now there are only two that I know still do. Rick Jennings has a box that will fit his Jeep and Steve Dixon has a box that fit's his Smart. 

I had a 14 1/2 foot box that I could load a Mini Cooper in and then an Isuzu Vehicross. Have since down sized the box to a 7 footer with side doors and only put the motorcycle, bicycle and a few other things inside. The car goes in the trailer now. 

Jay (can't remember his last name) had a box for his Ford Focus hatchback with a sliding hitch and ramps built that attached to the door. I had photos of all at one time, but no more it seems. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

9 hours ago, lappir said:

At one time there were three of us who carried vehicles in a garage behind the sleeper of the truck. Now there are only two that I know still do. Rick Jennings has a box that will fit his Jeep and Steve Dixon has a box that fit's his Smart. 

I had a 14 1/2 foot box that I could load a Mini Cooper in and then an Isuzu Vehicross. Have since down sized the box to a 7 footer with side doors and only put the motorcycle, bicycle and a few other things inside. The car goes in the trailer now. 

Jay (can't remember his last name) had a box for his Ford Focus hatchback with a sliding hitch and ramps built that attached to the door. I had photos of all at one time, but no more it seems. 

Rod

There is a recently built truck owned by one of the WCR attendees that carries a 4door Jeep in a box on the back and pulls a smaller New Horizons 5th Wheel.  It was at my place a week ago.  I didn’t get a chance to check it out in any detail as the stop over was a short one and I was working on another project at the time.  The rig will be at the WCR in June and I plan to check it out in detail there though.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, lappir said:

Rod

Jay Meacham.

One good picture here....more might be found searching the old rally pages.

http://www.hhrvresource.com/node/447.html

He pushed the hitch in so the rear door/ramp came down enough, then pulled the hitch out to tow. The hitch in thebpicture on the page I linked is "in".

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo