wire size for 7k lithium pak

4 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I have a Victron converter.  30a, 48v->12v.  Never any problems.

I was going to get a 60amp converter. Victron are proud of theirs. May be better.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

When I was looking at a 48 volt system, checked on 90 amp 48 to 12 volt converters, [I have a 12 volt hyd pump and 12 volt air compressor and a small 12 volt charger for start batteries]  Best price I saw was $900+.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

1 hour ago, jcussen said:

When I was looking at a 48 volt system, checked on 90 amp 48 to 12 volt converters, [I have a 12 volt hyd pump and 12 volt air compressor and a small 12 volt charger for start batteries]  Best price I saw was $900+.

Mighta been cheaper to get 120v versions of those things.

3 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Mighta been cheaper to get 120v versions of those things.

You are probably right, if I did, could get by with a 20 amp one for just lighting.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

11 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

WOW Glenn, that's one nice system you're building. Unless I missed it, I'm curious, can you tell us the "ENERGY STORAGE Capacity" in Watt Hours or Amp Hours of those batteries ???

You mention having plenty of #2 Cable which it appears can "work" (even if I would use #1) and, of course, you could parallel a couple of them given proper connectors even if such isn't quite as professional looking. As you mentioned since it's a short run a few feet of No 1 isn't all that expensive. I like fine stranded Marine Grade cable for its improved flexibility and ability to withstand vibration. Regular old Welding Cable is fine stranded, flexible and has high quality insulation. Even if it takes more length I also like using a vibration/flex coil if possible.

Were having fun spending your money lol 

Keep us posted of your progress and choices, I'm enjoying this thread.

John T

Think yall are missing a point. If i pulled 180 amps from these batteries, not likely, that's only 60amps per battery. I will be running positive and negative cables  from each battery to bussbars. Bussbars to Magnum panel then to inverters. #4 cable should be plenty. Or am I missing something

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Just now, GlennWest said:

If i pulled 180 amps from these batteries, not likely, that's only 60amps per battery. I will be running positive and negative cables  from each battery to bussbars. Bussbars to Magnum panel then to inverters. #4 cable should be plenty. Or am I missing something

#4 should be fine.  Yeah, 180a @ 50v would be  a monster load! 

When running air with my setup I noticed the busbar connection (not the #4 cable) getting hot. My mistake was not using large enough nuts/bolts to fasten to the bars.

3 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

#4 should be fine.  Yeah, 180a @ 50v would be  a monster load! 

When running air with my setup I noticed the busbar connection (not the #4 cable) getting hot. My mistake was not using large enough nuts/bolts to fasten to the bars.

Same with me, my load was about 160 amps [12 volts] and went over all cables and connections with IR gun, found several bad [hot] connections and a warm 3/0 cable to inverter. Changed out both 3/0's to 4/0's and recrimped several battery cable connections on busbar. IR gun is your friend when running high amperages.

43 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

that's only 60amps per battery. I will be running positive and negative cables  from each battery to bussbars. Bussbars to Magnum panel then to inverters. #4 cable should be plenty. Or am I missing something

Glenn, No I don't think you're missing anything, according to Blue Sea Systems

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437

if you're ONLY pulling 60 Amps # 4 should suffice (especially for a short run) or #1 if you were up to 150 Amps. I still recommend fine stranded Marine Grade wire and any vibration resistance you can work into the run.

Again that's one nice system you're building CONGRATULATIONS...

John T

1 minute ago, oldjohnt said:

Glenn, No I don't think you're missing anything, according to Blue Sea Systems

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437

if you're ONLY pulling 60 Amps # 4 should suffice (especially for a short run) or #1 if you were up to 150 Amps. I still recommend fine stranded Marine Grade wire and any vibration resistance you can work into the run.

Again that's one nice system you're building CONGRATULATIONS...

John T

Thanks. John T. Just be glad to get it finished. Killing me working so much and wanting to finish this.

4 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Thanks. John T. Just be glad to get it finished. Killing me working so much and wanting to finish this.

You're most welcome Glenn, hey don't feel alone,  I've Been There Done That many many times when I was trying to get an RV ready to sell or for my own use, but slow down and do it RIGHT which I'm sure you're already practicing  …..FWIW there have been times when I got in a hurry and failed TO PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH grrrrrrrrrrrr

Best wishes n God Bless

John T 

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't answer. I know it is confusing comparing to lead acid batteries. There is a ytube video of a complete Leaf battery in his motorhome. Difference is his was used and mine are new. He fired up his mini split and ran it and read the drain. He stated he could run it days before charging. Mine is also a complete leaf car battery amount. I recently was talking to a friend in NC and discussing electric usage. He used 19KWish in a month. But that also at 110v and not 48v. I am betting this will run my Teton at least a day without sun on solar. Planning on 4400 watts solar. But plan to get all this up and running prior to solar

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up batteries today. Here is pic with BMS.  Considering mounting them with longest length straight up. Use the thtu rods for mounts to metal base which will bolt to floor. They weight about 100lbs eachiI6J4bNl.jpg

Edited by GlennWest

I might be misunderstanding you, but I'd install them just as pictured. Run the long axis side to side, flat on the floor. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

orginally considered putting them flat but with contacts facing me. On side sorta if there is a side to a lithium. Upward would take up less space though.They will be on a metal frame bolted to floor. 

Assuming the frame has enough anchorage to hold the batteries in place during evasive maneuvers, then go for it. I thought you were only using all-thread to sandwich the pack to the floor. That's a lot of torque to control without an external frame. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yes that just 3/8" all thread rod. Not strong at all. A hundred pound battery would generade thru the side of our Teton. It will be in an angle iron cage bolted to floor. I am building a wall sort of directly back of batteries for inverters, wiring, solar controler, etc. It will separate my storage area also from this. Simple plywood wall. With them standing up I will have better access to wiring, inveters, etc. With them laying down, 2 will stretch the length of my storage area. One would have to be over the other two. Inverter and such above them. Batteries ar 9" wide standing up.Leaving me a large open space for this. 

• 4 weeks later...

What I did was drill holes in angle iron to match up with threaded rods. Bolted batteries to this angle iron. Screwd the angle iron to plywood wall. Also at bottom welded two lengths of angle iron together to form a c. Bolted this to bottom of batteries rods and to floor. Essentialy makeing three batteries solid and bolted down. Very solid. They are upright. Not laying down.

Edited by GlennWest

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 1:53 PM, GlennWest said:

I really can't answer. I know it is confusing comparing to lead acid batteries. There is a ytube video of a complete Leaf battery in his motorhome. Difference is his was used and mine are new. He fired up his mini split and ran it and read the drain. He stated he could run it days before charging. Mine is also a complete leaf car battery amount. I recently was talking to a friend in NC and discussing electric usage. He used 19KWish in a month. But that also at 110v and not 48v. I am betting this will run my Teton at least a day without sun on solar. Planning on 4400 watts solar. But plan to get all this up and running prior to solar

Wrong info. Deleted it

Edited by GlennWest