5 Can Soup

TexasPSDX

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 11:27 AM, packnrat said:

the Dr's say my bp is too high, even with the drugs they give me.  but can anyone out there give me a link proving salt cases a higher bp reading.

Here's a source I trust:

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/salt-blood-pressure/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Most canned stuff has a ludicrous amount of salt.  For a few years, I've been buying only no-salt beans, corn, etc.  Kroger has a few options, and Sprout's has nearly everything you can imagine in a no-salt version.

My version of a five-can chile is this, again, with no salt added:

Can of kidney beans

Can of pinto beans

Can of black beans

Can of corn

Can of green chiles

Then add whatever other spices/hot sauce I might be in the mood for.

• 2 months later...

I used the original recipe but no chicken. Instead I used a can of Chili no beans. Very tasty. How come there are rarely any recipes posted? Don't Escapees like to cook? Or maybe they just stopped sharing? There was a gal that came on here all the time with recipes.

Bobbyb,,  there used to be a lot more activity here but sometimes I guess folks come and go and it changes. Seems to me there was one lady that posted almost daily for a while.   There used to be more activity on quite a few threads on discussions board but I know a lot have disappeared or at least cut back. Even me.  Somewhere on the food thread there were quite a few posts about cooking rattlesnake.

Many of us posted several of our favorite recipes. Once those were up what else we were supposed to post?

For those few who have an oven, how about this one we know as Florida Chicken? Pour 1/4 cup soy sauce and 3/4 cup orange juice into a zip top bag. Add garlic powder and onion powder and shake well. Add skinless, boneless chicken pieces and shake again. Lay bag flat in fridge. Later turn the bag over. When nearing dinner time, turn the oven on to 350°F, drain the marinade, and place the chicken pieces on a sheet pan. Put it in the oven for about 30 minutes. Serve on a plate or a bun with sides. (In our previous convection/microwave oven we reduced the amount we made and cooked it on a pizza pan.)

While I haven't tried doing so yet you could probably cook the chicken in the marinade in a crock pot. I have baked it in the oven in the sauce when I didn't start soon enough to marinate the meat.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van