junk mail

packnrat

well i have now started to get junk in the snail mail from aarp. (i turn 60 this month).

i have only heard aarp is just a money suck hole,  i personally do not know anybody who wants anything to do with them.

does any here have any good to say about them? 

have they ever paid off on any of there promises?

ever get your moneys worth from them?

or just add to the trash pile of dead trees.

i am trying to keep a open mind here, so any info is good.

Years ago, they had a deal with USAir for airfare from PHL-RSW for $125 r/t.  That was the only reason I signed up with them as we were regularly flying to Ft. Myers.  They did away with that program, and after that I found absolutely no value in them.  They do not represent me (IMHO) in any of their stands.

Their business model is education for seniors, and to make money to do so by endorsing various companies selling something, these companies pay a "royalty" or offer discounts to AARP to use their name and logo. The minimum age to join is 50 with a full membership, however, an associate membership has no age restriction,  while receiving the same benefits.

An alternate organization is AMAC.

Back to the original topic, how to stop junk mail. The most direct method is to phone AARP and direct them to remove your mailing address from their vendors address list. Another source of reducing junk mail is https://thedma.org/accountability/dma-choice/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 hours ago, packnrat said:

well i have now started to get junk in the snail mail from aarp. (i turn 60 this month).

How were you so lucky? Our son and most others start getting that junk at 50 which is the earliest you can join. AARP is actually a marketing company that is for profit and who specializes in selling to seniors. They have a political arm also that doesn't match mine so be careful. (Politics are not allowed on the forums so enough said) My personal opinion is that they make people like Good Sam seem pretty nice. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, packnrat said:

seeing as they included a prepaid envelope, i will send there junk back to them with "void" written with a felt marker. leaves a great 1/4 inch line where it touches paper.

BREs just go to some processing company, not the original sender.  They won't care.  They won't take you off the mailing list by doing this.

3 minutes ago, packnrat said:

my name is not even on any of the paperwork, a computer code printed?

Right, it maintains privacy and data security when the processing company only knows that they took a payment from customer 1234567 and not "Mr. Joe Packnrat."

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, packnrat said:

i have only heard aarp is just a money suck hole,  i personally do not know anybody who wants anything to do with them.

We have been AARP members since we turned 50.  DH uses the AARP Medicare Supplement (through United HealthCare) and we also have our homeowner's insurance with AARP's Mobile Home Insurance (through Foremost). 

I called them many years ago and requested that they not send us the magazine, so we now get very little mail from them.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 10/2/2019 at 12:09 PM, Carlos said:

BREs just go to some processing company, not the original sender.  They won't care.  They won't take you off the mailing list by doing this.

However they do get to pay postage BOTH ways.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

32 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

Yeah but you need to tape the envelope to a brick.

That has been tried, USPS rejected the "package". A prepaid envelope must meet USPS specific criteria.

Sign up for the do not call and do not market registries.  It really does reduce the volume.  95% of our real mail and packages goes to a box and we get zero junk mail there after registering.  The house mail is always full of garbage, because they send non-targeted address-based junk without checking the opt-out lists.

Thanks for the link age! I forgot to renew it for both our new and old addresses to eliminate mail forwarding of junk.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, packnrat said:

does any here have any good to say about them? 

have they ever paid off on any of there promises?

ever get your moneys worth from them?

or just add to the trash pile of dead trees.

i am trying to keep a open mind here, so any info is good.

I'm 54, joined early this month just to save just over $200 on glasses.  I haven't used them for anything else, and have turned off all the physical and junk mail options in my account.  We don't eat at any of the junky restaurants they have discounts for, we already have RX discounting through health plans, etc.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:56 AM, Kirk W said:

How were you so lucky? Our son and most others start getting that junk at 50 which is the earliest you can join. AARP is actually a marketing company that is for profit and who specializes in selling to seniors. They have a political arm also that doesn't match mine so be careful. (Politics are not allowed on the forums so enough said) My personal opinion is that they make people like Good Sam seem pretty nice. 

I agree 100% with what Kirk said.  

Richard "Doc" Strait, USN Retired

2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Point of Contact for the Military, Veterans, and Gold Star Families BOF