Can I Pet Your Dog (s)?

SnowGypsy

So the complaint is someone asking to pet your Dog?  Wow....I can understand being uptight about Kids and/or adults suddenly reaching down to Pet an animal BUT asking first is an issue?  Just my take, I'm an animal Lover and dogs are a big part of our lives. So, Yes, when I see a person walking a Dog that is passing close to me, I will ask before I reach, if its OK to pet there Doggie!  I know well that some dogs are nervous and can get excited causing a negative contact(I have a dog such as that) that I'm very careful with.  Just the same, I would always prefer to be asked rather than Not!!! IMHO

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

• 2 months later...

We had a chocolate lab. she was was not the type to bite but she did not like people rushing up on  her. So we put a yellow bandana on her. It doesn't have to be a bandana as long as it is yellow. This means approach with caution. I didn't want anything to ruin her camping/rving trip, but I didn't mind other people enjoying her either. The older she got the more crankier she got. It never hurts to take precautions.

I spend a lot of time around dogs, dog people, and dog rescues/advocates.  I'm 54.  I've never once heard anyone mention a yellow thing as any kind of sign for a dog.  People put all sorts of colors on their dogs in all sorts of ways.  I don't think anyone has ever considered it a signal.

I just Googled and only found this one article.  I don't think anyone knows about this.  I do know people buy collars and leashes as a fashion accessory and nothing more.  I would never rely on looking at the color and guessing what it meant.  That's ridiculous.

https://www.petsplusus.com/pet-information/lifestyle/meaning-behind-colour-coded-dog-leashes-and-collars

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 11/12/2019 at 3:58 PM, packnrat said:

no.

as in keep your dog away from my tires. and i never have liked a dog licking my face.

but then maybe i should pee on there tires?

The last time I was in Oregon where they pump your gas for you a young lady came to the drivers side window and I gave her my credit car and my little mini schnauzer jumps in my lap and the lady let my dog lick her in the face and I told my dog don't lick her and the girl said thats ok and I said no cause she just licked her butt..

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

• 6 months later...

I had a sumbitch trot up while I'm standing right there and try to piss on my motorcyle one time.  Dog:" Those armored humans are grouchy and biting at that boot doesn't seem to do much.  The toe of it is plenty hard on the ass though. I might leave them two wheelers alone from now on."

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Loosen up those spincters people. Your walking your dogs around in the campground people are going to want to pet them.

There is a lot more issues out there than someone wanting to pet fido. My 2 labs get offended if you don't want to pet them. Wear a sign around you neck that says don't ask to pet my dog!!!

People walking through my site under my awning out the other side irritates me way more. But I guess that has long been debated.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

I am not so interested in petting your dog unless it is friendly and I ask first.  My big peeve is the people that are too good to pick up their dog poop.  Where we are now has a nice dog yard, bags are provided and very well spelled out dog rules posted.  Always someone is above the rest of us and will not scoop their poop.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot