More Florida Domicle

Packman

I wasn't really planning on setting up the mail forwarding service until we were closer to heading toward Fl by Jan 1. I had planned on using a PO box until we for the remaining time we are spending in MD. When changing address at my CU, I was informed that Fed Regs require physical address. The only local address I can use is my son, who has the same name, and it just creates confusion - I'd rather not! I guess I'm going to be signing up for mail forwarding service sooner than I expected! 

Thanks for listening.

Rick

49 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

And the nice thing is you can get it all set up now, but not start sending your mail there until Dec or later.

I'd actually start making the changes of address now.  That way, you can make sure everything is running smoothly and you haven't missed any correspondents when making the changes of address.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

17 hours ago, Packman said:

The only local address I can use is my son, who has the same name, and it just creates confusion - I'd rather not!

While there are legal alternatives, many financial institutions employees are not aware of this because it so rarely comes up, except in cases of fulltimers. I agree with several others that you would be wise to get your new address at least 3 months ahead of the departure date as it will not only allow ample time to get things changed over, but it will also allow time for dealing with an kinks, such as your CU realizing that you are using a mail service and refusing to accept that as well. This link will take you to a page of information on setting up your Floriday domicile.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, SWharton said:

There was a discussion either here or on IRV2 that it is better to not start your FT on 1/1, could raise a red flag from the state, better to start earlier or later and file a part-year residency income tax.

I wish I could set up domicile sooner but I plan to work (in MD) until just before Christmas.

2 hours ago, Packman said:

I wish I could set up domicile sooner but I plan to work (in MD) until just before Christmas.

That shouldn't be a serious question. The reason many say to change earlier is so that you can file a partial year return, which sort of announces that you have left their previous tax jurisdiction. You could still do this if you think it important if you plan to be gone before then end of the year. I'm not sure how important that is for MD but do know that historically it has seemed to be helpful to those leaving the more agressive taxing states. If you actually move your business connections to FL and thus demonstrate that you have severed ties with MD, it should be fairly easily resolved if the issue happens to come up when you do not file the following year. Let me suggest that you take the time read and absorb the issues which are discussed in this article.

The Ultimate Guide to Establishing Your Domicile as an RVer

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

We set up our address with MyRVmail.com (who also handles Good Sams mail) approximately 3 months prior to setting up our domicile in early September.  It's located in Crestview, FL (Okaloosa County).  Need 2 statements (we used Bank accounts) showing the new Crestview address so this takes time....  Also Passport and Drivers Licences (we also took our birth certificates and SS Cards just in case). Only took us 1.5 hours to obtain our drivers licence and across the hall to set up our domicile with full voting rights!  We used the DMV office at the County Office (recommended) in Crestview and not Destin.  It was surprising easy.  

Prior to choosing Okaloosa Co, I called the DMV office and the agent I talked to was familiar with the MyRVmail.com address.  Again, it was surprisingly easy to set everything up.  We didn't register a vehicle during this process.  I was kinda concerned because of issues I've read of those setting up with St Brendan's Isle.  

So far, everything is working out fine.

Edited by Ro and Joe

2020 Dutch Star 4328, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Ready Brute Elite Towbar 

You can get your mail forwarding address now but that alone does not change your domicle. If you are going to continue to work for awhile you can get the new address now but wait to get your drivers liscense and registration till you actually retire. That way you can still file your tax return in your old State as a resident. In the meantime you can get mail at the new address to use to obtain your drivers liscense in the near future when you are ready to change your domicle. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer