Has DirecTV started changing channel alignment?

docj

Does anyone know if the DirecTV 110 satellite has gone dark or something?  I have an old SK3005 Winegard Trav'ler automatic rooftop dish which has been converted to SWM, etc.  I haven't used it for a couple of weeks because of tree cover but today I have a clear sky and the system couldn't find 110.  It uses the "line" between 101, 110 and 119 to determine the skew angle.  It did lock onto 101 and 119 and was able to obtain service, but not having 110 slows it down.  This wasn't the situation when I last used the dish ~3 weeks ago.  Maybe the long awaited channel realignment is happening?  

FWIW I've been using YouTube TV quite effectively while not being able to get DirecTV because of those annoying trees!  When we get to our TX winter base in a couple of weeks I'll evaluate if it's worth even keeping DirecTV.  It will largely depend on what kind of price DirecTV is willing to give me once my current $40/mo discount runs out in another couple of months.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

docj I am in Caldwell ID a suburb of Bosie and I have DirecTv. My sat is locked onto  LG DTV SWM3 101, 99 and 103. 

I think people misunderstood my post.  Older Trav'ler dishes use the 101, 110 and 119 satellites for alignment even though no programming information comes from 110 and very few customers receive anything from 119.

Anyway, I got an answer to my post on the DBS forum where I learned that the 110 satellite went dark last month.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

This thread caused me to take a look at what I'm receiving right now.  I use a Slimline dish on a tripod and have a Genie.  I am in central Alabama.  I am receiving right now 101, 99ca, 99cb, 103cb.  I have always had 103ca also, but it is dark right now, but not sure what that means with it being gone.  I haven't noticed any changes in what I normally watch so who knows?

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer care.  I'm finally free of DirecTV.  We're using YouTube TV and can watch all the channels we care about.  I have a prepaid unlimited Verizon Jetpack (no longer available for new subscribers) and an AT&T unlimited hotspot through OTR Mobile.  It all works pretty well and the YouTube TV user interface is easy to use.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

• 2 weeks later...

docj,

You said "We're using YouTube TV and can watch all the channels we care about". I am wondering what general part of Rockport you are in? 

When we left Rockport last spring both of our hotspots (Verizon and AT&T) were terrible. We stay out on the 35 bypass just past 18th street. I am also hoping YouTube TV works for us when we get back.

Thanks

Dave G

• 2 weeks later...

Doc.....I've been following your lead on all things Direct TV and like you, I'm ready to throw in the towel and after 20+ years with Direct, get out altogether.  I wrote over on IRV2 about this weeks talk with Direct regarding upgrading equip(namely H24 receiver)….. 7 Rep's including three supervisors and close to 90 minutes on the phone produced Nothing!!

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

• 1 month later...

Standard receivers are being outdated and will no longer work.  I have an HD receiver  with a dish on a portable stand which I understand is not allowed.

I part time in fiver which is never moved.  I too have been with DTV for over 20 years and plan to give it up for streaming. Since AT&T took over, service has gone to the pits, cost is ridiculous, and they are losing channels.

15 hours ago, Shirley M said:

Standard receivers are being outdated and will no longer work.  I have an HD receiver  with a dish on a portable stand which I understand is not allowed.

I part time in fiver which is never moved.  I too have been with DTV for over 20 years and plan to give it up for streaming. Since AT&T took over, service has gone to the pits, cost is ridiculous, and they are losing channels.

I have been using a Slimline dish on a tripod for over 9 years full time.  I'm glad to know it is not allowed.  

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

17 hours ago, Shirley M said:

Are their Direct police out in RV parks monitoring which type of setup each subscriber has?  We have our same setup from 2007.    If you don't like the service, change to Dish.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I know that when I upgraded from SD to HD (Slimline Dish) at our leased spot in Texas, the installer refused to do a simple pole mount and insisted that a specific amount of bracing was required for the HD dish.  He ended up installing it on the 4x4 post supporting a shade cover and even then required some additional bracing.  He said that "his supervisor" required this amount of strength and bracing on the HD dish and even had to take a picture of the install for approval. 

Based on this I can imagine that some installers/companies wouldn't approve a dish on a portable tripod because of alignment and service call issues. That being said, since we hit the road shortly thereafter the Slimline Dish has lived on a portable tripod and worked just fine.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We just bought an RV lot and had someone come out to install our extra dish(backup on a tripod) onto a column. He couldn't install it on the column(we have side covers and they were in the way) but just set up the tripod and lined it up for us. No comment about not being allowed. I have never heard that one before.

I once had a TWC (now Spectrum) tech tell me the sat dish at our NY cottage was "illegal" because TWC had an exclusive franchise with the town for TV service. I told him to come back with the police and a warrant. I'm still waiting... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system