Hewhoknowslittle

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Dave,

Your preaching to the choir, 
Today Karen told me I could drive, as sitting around is causing more greef than good, I turned her down on the driving, but was very tempted to grab the keys and go, I feel great and I do believe I wouldn't have any problems, but if something would happen I would be screwed as I have a cdl for my work, and driving without a doctors release would do my business no good.

Hope both of us finds something to get our minds a going so the home front will improve,

Roger

Howdy Roger,

its better today I just need to vent now and then.  I have been walking about a quarter mile a day when it’s not raining, yes  it is getting to be that time of year again here in the NorWet, today when I did my walk I carried with me but did not have to use the forearm crutches so it is getting better.  Hang in there everyone we will get through this.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Today, was a very HAPPY DAY.  I climbed up into the Pete, something I haven't done for over 6 weeks, started the engine and let it run for about a half hour.  I have been worried about being able to use the clutch as it is a stiff one, before shutting the engine down, I pushed down on the clutch pedal fully expecting it to HURT, it didn't, I felt pressure but NO pain.  I shifted into gear and eased the clutch out the truck moved forward, pushed the clutch in shifted into reverse moved the truck back a couple of feet to where it had been parked, shifted into natural, shut the engine down with a mile long grin on my face.

This was a momentous moment for me as I had been worried about being able to use the clutch after the knee surgery, now I know it won't be a problem, we won't be able to go south this year until mid to late January so by then my knee's based on the experience I have had so far should be in great shape to drive and make the trip.  My right knee was a tad worse then the left one but I wanted the left one done first so it would have the maximum healing time before driving the truck so I wouldn't have any clutching problems.  The PT is getting easier, my knee is moving better when flexing, I know I am going to have to go through all the early pain again when they do the right knee but I am after today really starting to feel better about making the decision to have this done.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has offered advice and given encouragement through out this ordeal.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Today, was a very HAPPY DAY.  I climbed up into the Pete, something I haven't done for over 6 weeks, started the engine and let it run for about a half hour.  I have been worried about being able to use the clutch as it is a stiff one, before shutting the engine down, I pushed down on the clutch pedal fully expecting it to HURT, it didn't, I felt pressure but NO pain.  I shifted into gear and eased the clutch out the truck moved forward, pushed the clutch in shifted into reverse moved the truck back a couple of feet to where it had been parked, shifted into natural, shut the engine down with a mile long grin on my face.

This was a momentous moment for me as I had been worried about being able to use the clutch after the knee surgery, now I know it won't be a problem, we won't be able to go south this year until mid to late January so by then my knee's based on the experience I have had so far should be in great shape to drive and make the trip.  My right knee was a tad worse then the left one but I wanted the left one done first so it would have the maximum healing time before driving the truck so I wouldn't have any clutching problems.  The PT is getting easier, my knee is moving better when flexing, I know I am going to have to go through all the early pain again when they do the right knee but I am after today really starting to feel better about making the decision to have this done.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has offered advice and given encouragement through out this ordeal.

Dave

This is great news Dave, as I am just about 4 weeks post op, my knee is still stiff and pt is working hard to get it to a full range of motion, I started riding the stationary bike this week, and it was very painful, but it sure increased the range of motion so not looking forward to today's surprise at pt, but you know it is well worth it, like you our winter travels are on hold till I get heeled up, and get the trailer replaced due to putting the right side wheels in the ditch cutting a corner to sharp.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Glad to hear that you guys are recovering well. Keep up the PT and we will miss you at Hutch this year.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

8 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Glad to hear that you guys are recovering well. Keep up the PT and we will miss you at Hutch this year.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

This will be the first year since 2014 that I'll miss the National, I always enjoyed the rally and looked forward to seeing all the good folks I have met over the years.  Barring unforeseen circumstances we'll see you next year.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 9/12/2019 at 9:13 PM, mr. cob said:

.............. I pushed down on the clutch pedal fully expecting it to HURT, it didn't, I felt pressure but NO pain.....................

...............The PT is getting easier, my knee is moving better when flexing, I know I am going to have to go through all the early pain again when they do the right knee but I am after today really starting to feel better about making the decision to have this done.

Dave

It all shall pass with this one and the next one. The PT is dealing with two things, the knee is healing from the operation and is pissed off about that "disturbance", the second issue is that you were probably not using your knees, legs and the rest of your posture properly, because the "knees hurt". You are bringing back many muscles that haven't worked right for a long time.

As far as nothing hurting when you pushed that clutch, it was "never going to hurt". The instance the surgeon cut out the stuff that was bad and turned that into a medical bio-trash, the link to your brain from what hurt was severed and there is no link from the "new stuff" (not, unless you are a Borg).

I kept alternating from left to right as mine were getting worse and worse the last few months. The reason I did both at the same time, they were so useless that the PT would not have been effective (doing one and using the gimpy one for PT)

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Roger,

How are you doing?  Today was my last day of PT for this knee, the folks who have been working with me are satisfied with my progress and tell me that I am doing well.  Tomorrow I go to see my knee doctor and talk about getting the next one done which is scheduled to happen on October 7th.

I am doing well, other then the darn pain at night when I am trying to sleep, still taking drugs for that, can't heal if you can't sleep.  Part of me is looking forward to getting the other knee done as I know it will make for a better life down the road, the other part of me is asking WHY do you want to go through all this misery AGAIN.

Hope all is well on your end.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

How are you doing?  Today was my last day of PT for this knee, the folks who have been working with me are satisfied with my progress and tell me that I am doing well.  Tomorrow I go to see my knee doctor and talk about getting the next one done which is scheduled to happen on October 7th.

I am doing well, other then the darn pain at night when I am trying to sleep, still taking drugs for that, can't heal if you can't sleep.  Part of me is looking forward to getting the other knee done as I know it will make for a better life down the road, the other part of me is asking WHY do you want to go through all this misery AGAIN.

Hope all is well on your end.

Dave

Dave

I am four weeks and one day out of surgery, my physical therapist says I’m doing great however like you I have night pains and I to take a pain Pill so I can get some rest, my second knee is also scheduled for October/7th so will be in there at the same time and yes why are we going to go through this again is a great question.

GCTaaehl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Dave,
Tomorrow is the big day for both of us, you the right knee, and me the left knee.
I check in at 5:30AM so I should be in recovery when you go under the knife. 

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery, the right knee has some movement that took a while to get used to, as moving from the gas pedal to the brake pedal, seams simple but it did piss off my knee till the muscles got built up a bit.

As for the left knee needing to push in the clutch, well the auto shift does that for me, so hoping I can hit the trails early next year.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

48 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Good morning Dave,
Tomorrow is the big day for both of us, you the right knee, and me the left knee.
I check in at 5:30AM so I should be in recovery when you go under the knife. 

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery, the right knee has some movement that took a while to get used to, as moving from the gas pedal to the brake pedal, seams simple but it did piss off my knee till the muscles got built up a bit.

As for the left knee needing to push in the clutch, well the auto shift does that for me, so hoping I can hit the trails early next year.

Roger

Howdy Roger,

Good morning to you my friend.  Yes tomorrow is a big day for both of us I am glad to get it over with and get on with the job of healing.  I check in at 7: am Pacific time should go under the knife at around 9: am.

Our plan is to head south last part of January I would like to go earlier but the va wants to do some tests on my lower back in mid January.  I don’t know anyone who has had a successful back surgery at the seattle va so if the tests come back suggesting one the only way I will agree to it is if I can get it outside of the va like with my knees.

Good luck to us, let’s check back in after a couple of days and compare notes.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Roger,

Good morning to you my friend.  Yes tomorrow is a big day for both of us I am glad to get it over with and get on with the job of healing.  I check in at 7: am Pacific time should go under the knife at around 9: am.

Our plan is to head south last part of January I would like to go earlier but the va wants to do some tests on my lower back in mid January.  I don’t know anyone who has had a successful back surgery at the seattle va so if the tests come back suggesting one the only way I will agree to it is if I can get it outside of the va like with my knees.

Good luck to us, let’s check back in after a couple of days and compare notes.

Dave

Your back problem may simply be poor posture due to accommodating your knees. I'd refuse to do anything about your back until your knees have completely recovered from the surgery on them and you can stand up straight again.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

16 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Your back problem may simply be poor posture due to accommodating your knees. I'd refuse to do anything about your back until your knees have completely recovered from the surgery on them and you can stand up straight again.

Linda

Howdy Linda,

My thoughts exactly, I have had serious back injuries over the years but I am not getting my back cut on till I convinced there is no other option.

Dave 

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

43 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

43 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

Good luck luck Roger and Dave you guys have been through a lot hope everything goes smooth and you get out traveling soon. Dave we’ll miss you and newt next week,Roger hope we see you end of next week if you feel up to it. Good luck guys

Howdy Danandfreda,

I am going to really miss not going to the National Rally, so much fun to see old friends and meet new ones.

Newt is doing an amazing job of teaching Willy, how to do his tasks as a service dog.  Newt started to lose his hearing a couple of years ago and is now totally deaf, this is common for a 12 year old Wiener Dog however he can still perform most of his duties.

Baring unforeseen circumstances we will be there next year.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

36 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Will be lifting you both up in prayer tomorrow, as well as the doctors!  I assume the same docs as the last ones.

Bless you both,

Howdy Rocky,

Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers I am sure I speak for both of us in this regard.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Well I am checked in, waiting to get dressed up in that high fashion gear and get this show on the road. I’ll post again when the deed is done and I am woke up in the recovery room.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Getting the pain in check. the nerve block didn’t take as last time. Morphine is my new best friend. 

Roger

Howdy Roger,

I am out of surgery all is well pain is not bad.  I should be turned loose tomorrow early afternoon, hope all goes well for you.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg