communities that are NOT rv friendly

Fro

There appears to be an increase in communities that are no longer RV friendly.  This is not entirely without merit due to abuses of some people with RVs, but that is another discussion topic.  Does anyone have a lead on a database reflecting communities that do not allow overnight parking?

I don't know of a complete database. in most problematic cities its just parking restrictions for RV's or WalMart overnight restrictions.

I do know that Lacey Wa is currently on my Do Not Visit list. Earlier this summer Lacey Wa passed Ordinance 1549 which makes it crime to park a "camping facility" or "camping paraphernalia" on any city street, or public parking lot or city park. subject to $1000 fine and/or 90 days in jail. There is no distinction in this law for so many hours of legal parking while shopping or eating, you're subject to fine or arrest immediately.

you can find the entire ordinance online  at   http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/Portals/0/docs/city_council/ordinances/2019/Ordinance 1549 - Camping Ordinance 06.13.19.pdf 

They say they didn't intend it to cover visiting RV'ers but based on the current broad wording & definitions, it certainly does allow their officers to use it as such.  They claim this new law was intended to help get rid of their homeless vagrants living in their parks, lots & streets (some in run down RV's).  However if you read article 8.10.050 of the above ordinance, it specifically prohibits their officers from citing a person who claims to be homeless, if their shelter is full, but their shelter is always full, thats why they have 100's living in their streets. 

Since I spend most of the summer in & around Colorado, I know that the City of Colorado Springs passed a new law earlier this year, prohibiting any RV parking on any city street.  

Here is the list of no overnight allowed WalMart store listing. I don't vouch for its accuracy & it changes frequently   

https://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/

Edited by JRP

Jim

3 hours ago, JRP said:

Earlier this summer Lacey Wa passed Ordinance 1549 which makes it crime to park a "camping facility" or "camping paraphernalia" on any city street, or public parking lot or city park. subject to $1000 fine and/or 90 days in jail. There is no distinction in this law for so many hours of legal parking while shopping or eating, you're subject to fine or arrest immediately.

Uh Jim, you might want to re-read the ordinance you posted. It says nothing about "parking" or being fined for "parking". It plainly says you can not "CAMP" in those places and that you can not "STORE" your camping equipment and vehicle in those places. 
It defines camp as "use or occupy for purpose of habitation". Parking and shopping at Walmart ain't it. It also defines store as "to put aside for use when needed, to put for safekeeping and to place or leave at a location".  Doesn't sound like parking and shopping on your vacation to me. 

Sounds like a bunch of to do about nothing to me. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

59 minutes ago, pjstough said:

The take of an RVer from Washington state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y16KhKes1Kw

Wow...what a fruitcake. He is hung up on the definition of paraphernalia and totally skipping the words "camp" and "store". According to this wack-job you can get a ticket for going shopping for a tent and driving home with it. 

Oh well,  the world is full of conspiracy nuts. 

the-sky-is-falling-2-chicken-little.jpg

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

one of their definitions for the prohibited act of storing your camping facility on any city street is "to place or leave at a location".  Thats pretty close to my law book definition of parking.  But yes its open to interpretation and thats part of the problem. If it was the normal $25 or $50 fine for illegal parking, it wouldn't be a big deal. But at $1000 fine and the possibility of jail time, to me its not worth the risk. Why would I trust my freedom to someone deciding if I'm "stored" or "parked" on their streets. They have in fact been citing folks in run down RV's on city streets. They make the decision based on if looks like they are living in their RV, van or car.  many here live in their RV

Jim

Parking is not "left at a location" in the aspect that this ordinance is written. You claim they are citing people based on them looking like they live in their RV. There is a big difference between parking and looking like you are living in it, and any reasonable person understands that. Read the intent of their ordinance. Before issuing a citation an officer must determine if the "camping is due to homelessness". I do not want people in a junky RV living in parking lots or the side of public roads. Go find an RV park. You are misconstruing the intent and subject of this ordinance to feed some silly paranoia. 

I stand by my first post. And you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

We winter in the Disney world area in Florida and we understand why many communities are  becoming not RV friendly.We see RV's parked everywhere to avoid a overnight stay at a campground in many cases  for days.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

17 hours ago, JRP said:

They make the decision based on if looks like they are living in their RV, van or car.  many here live in their RV

So are we to assume that you think this is acceptable in your neighborhood?
sjm-l-chanzuck-1116-4.jpg

146578.jpg

1_rvs-580-435.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

Did some reading on Lacey, and they have a lot of homeless people and advise "safeguarding your valuables", so would not be in my top ten to visit.  The guy in the video is looking for "hits" and this would be typical of what he uses to get them.  I watch him off and on, more off than on.  Anyone that wants to understand why such ordinances are necessary needs to view some videos on homelessness - CA has the best selection on youtube.   Some charitable organizations get old, crappy RVs for people who are homeless and set them up in RV parks, not a good situation all too often as "rules" tend to be an issue.  I have seen it.   I don't like rules either, but...........  Seriously, how many people had this location on their "Must-See" list?

5.3 miles from Olympia, I'd be writing ordinances also.  Olympia has a horrible problem with the homeless, businesses closing, needles on the street along with feces and urine.  Looks like they buy tents and distribute them along with many freebies - give freebies and they will come.  Olympia looks like a disaster with angry citizens thus Lacey is thinking "Oh, no, they will be coming here!"  

Edited by SnowGypsy

Cathy

I imagine this town is trying to avoid what has happened to Los Angeles and San Francisco.  Thousands of homeless are camping on the sidewalks in tents and defecating in the alleys and gutters.  LA has a serious rat infestation.  Local government is not handling the situation very well there.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

On 8/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, JRP said:

Since I spend most of the summer in & around Colorado, I know that the City of Colorado Springs passed a new law earlier this year, prohibiting any RV parking on any city street. 

As a long time resident of Colorado Springs I can tell you this is not new. All the city did was refine the earlier law (that has been on the books for a long time) so that it was clear that short term parking on the street was OK for loading and unloading for a day or two, shopping, dining, etc.. It made clear that long term parking was not OK, nor was staying/living in an RV while parked on a city street. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Many of the rules that communities make stem from abuses of the hospitality by some of the RV owners. There is a fine line between the rights of we who are traveling in our RVs and those of the people who live in the communities we travel through. It doesn't take very many inconsiderate RV travelers to make problems that all of us must deal with. In our many years of RV travel I have seen more than a few RV people do things that I'd not want near a house that I owned. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, Pieere said:

If using a Walmart; Call ahead and ask the manager about the city ordinance about parking or over-nite stays! Here is where I located Walmarts and phone #'s. AllStays.com

That's what I do too. Saves time and effort with a simple,short phone call. I have been refused due to lack of parking space, city ordnance, once for each. Usually I was told where to park for safety.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I also called Walmart in advance. They like being able to tell you the best place for you to park. I never asked for a manager, though. Whoever answered the phone tended to know the answer.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, Big5er said:

Wow...what a fruitcake. He is hung up on the definition of paraphernalia and totally skipping the words "camp" and "store". According to this wack-job you can get a ticket for going shopping for a tent and driving home with it. 

Yeah....this guy is an idiot.  He's ignoring entirely the fact that the "paraphernalia" is not to be stored in vehicles IF SAID VEHICLE IS BEING USED A TEMPORARY LIVING QUARTERS. 

All this law does is keep people from camping - that is to say temporarily living - or storing camping equipment, on public property like parks and streets and publicly owned parking lots.  Private lots and driveways, etc., are fine as are RV parks.  Oh, and driving down the street to get to one.    

Perhaps he doesn't know what "habitation" means?

Edited by Alice

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

On 8/26/2019 at 8:56 AM, Fro said:

There appears to be an increase in communities that are no longer RV friendly.  This is not entirely without merit due to abuses of some people with RVs, but that is another discussion topic.  Does anyone have a lead on a database reflecting communities that do not allow overnight parking?

Well let's see - Los Angeles:  Ten thousand (homeless) live in cars, vans, trucks and RVs.  That's just  part of the 46 to 50 thousand homeless living on the streets of L.A. in tents, etc.

The areas where they park "spill over" into residential areas.

Why L.A.? (and surrounding areas)  - - - Easy! -  Nice weather year round!

Mostly, the "RVs" (tongue in cheek) are stationary junk that should be in a salvage yard or cut up for the landfill. Some haven't moved in years!  Sewage problems, drugs, etc.

Duh! - - NO "database" necessary! ..☹️

The "database" would have to be updated weekly, and of course it would be a source of irritation for "certain groups" of individuals.

Just google the topic for the city (cities) where you will be traveling - or wish to "park".

Google: "Homeless in (city) living in RVs". -  Also "overnight parking ordinances (city)".  Savvy cities want to be "pro-active" and prohibit the parking nightmare/s and litigation frustration  *before*  they happen.

Edited by Pappy Yokum